Getting from Port Everglades to Orlando area ~Amtrak?

TinyPinkBug

I need to get my mother-in-law from Port Everglades to the Kissimmee area after her cruise. Has anyone taken Amtrak after a cruise? Which Fort Lauderdale station is closest or easiest to get to from port? Any ideas what the cost/time for a taxi would be? There is an 8:50am and a 12:30pm from FTL, I was thinking the 8:50 would be fine, but she is convinced that she would miss it. I have never taken the train, how long before your departure do you need to be at the station?

I looked at flying, but didn't see any flights that would work. Driving isn't an option, we will be vacationing near either Legoland or Universal Studios and to get up super early to drive 3 hours down and back in a rental car doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

I would book her the 12:30, as 8:50 would be cutting it too close. I took Amtrak this summer to another part of the country, but they usually want you there about an hour ahead, especially if she is checking luggage. I don't suspect the cost will be very much to go from the port to the train station via taxi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I need to get my mother-in-law from Port Everglades to the Kissimmee area after her cruise. Has anyone taken Amtrak after a cruise? Which Fort Lauderdale station is closest or easiest to get to from port? Any ideas what the cost/time for a taxi would be? There is an 8:50am and a 12:30pm from FTL, I was thinking the 8:50 would be fine, but she is convinced that she would miss it. I have never taken the train, how long before your departure do you need to be at the station?

I looked at flying, but didn't see any flights that would work. Driving isn't an option, we will be vacationing near either Legoland or Universal Studios and to get up super early to drive 3 hours down and back in a rental car doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks

You'll never make an 8:50 AM train. If I remember correctly, the Amtrak station in Fort Lauderdale is off of Broward Boulevard and also one in Hollywood off of Hollywood Boulevard. The port is right in between the two stations.

With any Amtrak, you only need to be there 15-20 minutes before the train leaves because the train comes in, people get on and get off, and then the train pulls out. The window may only be 15 minutes that its in Fort Lauderdale (it's probably originating in Miami) - it won't wait for you if you're late.

It's 6 hours from Lauderdale to Kissimmee, so I wonder if they change trains somewhere. I take Amtrak alot in the NE (once did Fort Lauderdale to NY years ago). I would call Amtrak and ask them your questions.

It's 6 hours from Lauderdale to Kissimmee, so I wonder if they change trains somewhere. I take Amtrak alot in the NE (once did Fort Lauderdale to NY years ago). I would call Amtrak and ask them your questions.

I was actually planning to pick her up in Winter Haven because it is only 3Hr 18M ride instead of 6 hours. It is only about 30 minutes from where we are going to be staying.

Thanks

I take Amtrak often from Fort Lauderdale to Winter Haven and/or Kissimmee to visit family.

The Amtrak station in Fort Lauderdale is off of I-95 and Broward Blvd.

A taxi from Port Everglades to the Amtrak station is approximately 20 minutes and $25 (or Uber could be used).

Book the 12:30 pm train and arrive at least 30 minutes prior to departure to allow for check-in and luggage check. Checked luggage is free however Amtrak now weighs luggage and will charge if over 50 lbs. I believe one carry-on is allowed. Check the Amtrak website for the current luggage policy.

The train traveling north to Fort Lauderdale from the Miami and Hollywood stations are rarely late, but check with Amtrak often that morning to ensure the train is on time. Check the website for information or download the Amtrak app.

Travel time to Winter Haven is approximately 3 hours 15 minutes, or to Kissimmee is approximately 3 hours 45 minutes.

Edited by brunello22