Main dining room

ElizabethT

We're going on first cruise with our children ages 2,4, and 12. Has anyone with toddlers are in the MDR? I've heard the food is better there but seems families tend to eat at the buffet instead. Also do kids get a bracelet or a card? Trying to decide if I need to lanyards for the kids. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ate quite a bit in the main dining room with our son (cruised when he was 10 months and when he was 2). We went early (we prefer NCL because it is easy to get a table for just our family any time we want, and because the meals don't take as long as on some other lines we have tried) and only ordered a couple of courses. If he got fussy waiting, one of us got up and walked him around until the food came. If we saw he wasn't going to last much longer, we ate fast and didn't order dessert.

I found the dining room to be the absolute best choice for meals with toddlers - it's easier and makes for nice family meal time rather than the chaos of the buffet. We eat most every meal in the dining room - it's so nice to be served and enjoy the time with the kids. And you're right, we also enjoy the food much more. I do always make sure my kids are well-rested for meals and I bring little quiet amusements to keep them busy (don't count on the restaurant to have crayons, etc). Also, bring your own plastic covered cups - I bring a package of the take n' toss cups so I have plenty and don't have to worry if we lose/forget them.

Best,

Mia

The dining room is MUCH easier than a buffet when you have kids! You walk to the table, sit, and are SERVED! At the buffet, you will have to juggle the kids AND fix plates, find a table....etc....

The waitstaff is VERY accommodating to kids! Don't be afraid to use the dining room!!!

The kids can eat some nights at the camp at 6 I believe my kids liked that so they didn't have to get restless at dinner but the waitstaff has always been good with our kids and if it doesn't go well the first couple nights then you can always do the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found the dining rooms MUCH better than the buffet when eating with kids! The buffet is loud and chaotic. The MDR is much quieter. I started cruising with my kids when my daughter was 2 1/2 and my son was 6 (they are 11 1/2 and 15 now). If they started acting up in the MDR, I got up and walked out with them until they calmed down. MDR wins over buffet. IMHO.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks so much! I've seen people complain about kids in the dining room but I'd rather be served for a week. I'm making busy bags for the kids to keep them entertained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before my first cruise with kids I saw all those complaints and so I to the buffet the first night. One of the dining managers saw us there and asked why I wasn't in the main dining room. He said moms more than anyone else need to be served and that the kids would be fine. Boy were they - they got more attention and were happier in the dining room and I had my first relaxing meals with my kids.

Eating in the MDR is our preference. With kids, it is much easier than in eating in a fancy restaurant on land for a few reasons:

- they don't want you to linger so food comes out pretty quickly

- when you are done, you leave - no waiting for the bill, credit card processing etc

- if you or your kid is indecisive or does not care for something, you can order 2 things or get a replacement - on our first cruise, our 5 year old could not choose between 2 desserts, so the waiter brought both! It also means your kids can easily try new things - cruising is how my daughter learned she liked french onion soup, and artichokes.

have a great time!