Bilbao or San Sebastian?

P&O SUE

Hi all, we should be visiting Bilbao on a cruise next year -we have already been to the Guggenheim. Is it worth staying in Bilbao, is there much else to do there or should we take a trip over to San Sebastian?

Any thoughts welcome

Edited by P&O SUE

We were in Bilbao overnight on our cruise in July 2016.

A member of our roll call organized a private tour to see some of the Basque country side and coast line.

It was with Basque Experience. We had Eric as a our tour guide for the eight of us. It was fabulous day driving along the coast, walking the trails at some of the overlooks, epxloreing three fising villiages. And even going to Gernicka to see the replica of the Picasso painting. We had a lovely lunch with wine along the harbor of one of the villigaes. We were the only tourist there. Eric is a weath of knowledge and a perfect host for touring the land of his mother. He has lived in England most of his life.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187454-d6825942-Reviews-Basque_Experiences-Bilbao_Province_of_Vizcaya_Basque_Country.html

it was one of the best private oturs of our fourteen day cruise along the Iberian Peninsula .

If you have already been to Bilbao, then I would go to San Sebastián. It is one of Spain's most attractive cities. It has a beautiful large sandy bay with a long promenade.

You can go up Monte Igueldo for panoramic views of the city. Fun to wander around the old town with its many tapas bars. San Sebastián also has some of the best restaurants in Europe.

You could also visit Hondarrabia on the French border. An attractive town with colourful fishermen's houses and a 10th century Parador.

The countryside is very pretty too.

Definitely San Sebastian but work on logistics on how to get there. Takes long on public transit, at least 1 hr to get from port to Bilbao termibus station (faster on taxi) then another 1.5 hr bus ride to SS. Car rental is better option, there is Avis and Budget in town where port is (Getxo).

I do love San Sebastian - we did the public transportation option and in the end, it was a pretty long day so I would say try to find a private tour or rent a car. But I have to say, that coastal outing / Basque country sounds amazing. Makes me want a redo. The pintos in SS are wonderful...so many bars....so many choices...some so artistic you'll take a bunch of pictures. Enjoy!

We also like San Sebastian, although it is a city we would recommend as part of a multi-day visit instead of a shortened port day. When we spent a few days in this city, our best memories were in the evening when we started bar hopping, sampling some of the amazing local Basque style tapas, trying lots of Spanish wines, and ending our evening with dinner at a typical dining time of after 9pm. This is all lost on a cruise day trip.

Just to relate the local experience, there was one day when we spent the afternoon on a local beach (lovely). Late in the afternoon, as workers left their jobs...many headed straight to the beach to relax and take a dip in sea. One local lady, wearing a chic business suit, walked on the beach and stopped near our position. She pulled a large cloth bag (with a hole for her head) out of her handbag and slipped the large bag over her head. She then changed out of her business suit (carefully folding each item and placing it in her large handbag) and put on her swim suit.....all while standing on a pretty crowded beach. In 5 minutes she went from a business lady, to a beach goer :).

Hank

Although most people tells you to go to San Sebastian being Spanish myself, I wouldn't do it in such a definite way. Bilbao has a nice old town as well. A curving river going along downtown, magnificent food and plenty ofarchitectural wonders. Being the first time in the area stay in Bilbao. Plenty to do. Then walk along Getxo old town, drink Txacoli with nice pintxos & tapas.

Edited by keltic