Why do people pick connecting cabins when they don't need them?!

Barnes11

Why pick a connecting cabin if you are only booking one cabin? It is so frustrating for people with families that actually NEED connecting cabins to look at deck plans and see tons of connecting cabins with one cabin already taken! I don't even see why cruise lines allow this! It is not location either, because most of these cabins have single non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair. So frustrated!

In all fairness to some, they may not even realize they have connecting. I booked with carnival over the phone and just requested to be in a room away from elevators or anywhere noisy. I went to look at my deckplan and figured out that they booked me in a connecting room.

How do you know they are intentionally picking a connecting cabin? Could it be that they were assigned a cabin or they chose the last cabin that was away from the elevators or on a side of the ship they prefer and were not even aware it was a connecting cabin?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

What business is it of yours what cabin someone else chooses?

It's not as if they are taking away an ADA-accessible cabin from someone who needs it.

Get a PVP to do the heavy lifting for you.

How do you know they are intentionally picking a connecting cabin? Could it be that they were assigned a cabin or they chose the last cabin that was away from the elevators or on a side of the ship they prefer and were not even aware it was a connecting cabin?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

True. We once got a connecting cabin as an assigned cabin.

What business is it of yours what cabin someone else chooses?

It's not as if they are taking away an ADA-accessible cabin from someone who needs it.

Get a PVP to do the heavy lifting for you.

Because there is no benefit to a connecting cabin except that it is connecting if that is a feature you need. It is my business because I need connecting cabin in order for my family to sail. I see no point in booking a cabin that is connecting if you don't need that feature and leaving less options for those of us who do, just as there would be no point for me to take an ADA cabin unless I NEEDED it. I do have a PVP that has booked over 5 cruises for me but I always look ahead at cabin options before calling her. She has no explanation for why people book those cabins either.

Because there is no benefit to a connecting cabin except that it is connecting if that is a feature you need. It is my business because I need connecting cabin in order for my family to sail. I see no point in booking a cabin that is connecting if you don't need that feature and leaving less options for those of us who do, just as there would be no point for me to take an ADA cabin unless I NEEDED it. I do have a PVP that has booked over 5 cruises for me but I always look ahead at cabin options before calling her. She has no explanation for why people book those cabins either.

Having a family is not a recognized disability.

You're looking for a logical answer to an illogical question.

or,, maybe,, you're just venting. Which is fine.

I am going to choose a cabin based on my preferred location cabin type and price. If the optimal cabin happens to be a connecting cabin, I'm not going to avoid it just because I don't need that functionality. Really, why should I?

Not sure if this is the same for the horizon or not, but on some ships it seems like a lot of the cabins in some categories that sleep 3 are connecting. So if you need a cabin that sleeps 3 you may be limited.

Or maybe you can't book the one side on the connecting cabin for 2 because it sleeps 3?

how old are your kids? You could always just have them in an adjacent cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because Carnival allows it. You could just as easily blame Carnival for this. As for why people who don't need them purchase them, they probably like the location. In many instances they probably don't even realize their desired cabin is connecting. Me, I try to avoid them. After having gotten one once as an assigned cabin, I know that you can hear more noise from your neighbors because of the door. I could even hear snoring. I have a hard time believing someone who has stayed in a connecting cabin - next door to strangers - would intentionally purchase one again. This is why I think it is most likely unintentional when someone who doesn't need one purchases one.

Not sure if this is the same for the horizon or not, but on some ships it seems like a lot of the cabins in some categories that sleep 3 are connecting. So if you need a cabin that sleeps 3 you may be limited.

Or maybe you can't book the one side on the connecting cabin for 2 because it sleeps 3?

how old are your kids? You could always just have them in an adjacent cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I second this, I have noticed that some ships have a majority of connecting rooms in certain categories.. and the non-connecting are few and far between.

It actually frustrates the heck out of me, because i absolutely hate connecting rooms and usually have to move to a different category (usually more expensive) to avoid it.

Also to be fair, as others have said many have TA or Carnival pick the room for them. Just like at a hotel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

Why pick a connecting cabin if you are only booking one cabin? It is so frustrating for people with families that actually NEED connecting cabins to look at deck plans and see tons of connecting cabins with one cabin already taken! I don't even see why cruise lines allow this! It is not location either, because most of these cabins have single non-connecting cabins on each side of the pair. So frustrated!

You seem very angry for something that most people just don't do on purpose. Nobody wants a connecting cabin if they don't need it--I hate that door... and yet many times I walk in and that's what I have. I always book through my PVP, he suggests a room from where and what type I want. He doesn't say it is a connecting cabin and I don't ask...that's not part of what I am concerned about when booking.

If you definitely want a connecting cabin, you need to book pretty far ahead I guess, or be open to other ships. There are no restrictions to others getting them.

Hard to believe that there are no connecting cabins in any where on the ship. That being said anytime we book a cabin the site comes up with available cabins and I pick the one I want. It never says it is connected or not . Your issue is not with the person who books these cabins if they have no way of knowing

I think this is the first time I've come late to a thread and agreed with every single response. Your issue is not with cruisers, it's with Carnival for not putting an alert on the reservation transaction path when room selections are made "You are booking a connecting cabin. If you don't need a connecting cabin, please consider choosing another cabin nearby" or similar language. Your issue is also with yourself for booking later than other people. Book earlier if you know you need a cabin that is in high demand. You almost imply other people are booking these cabins out of disrespect for families, which is, of course, ridiculous.

Many times on the site when I choose a category it seems to default to selecting connecting cabins and I have to go hunt around for a non-connecting. I could see where people may not realize. I try to avoid them personally, if there's a door a kid will try to play with it!

I also believe it has to do with capacity. It also depends on how many in your party. If you are cruising in peak season, they won't let you put 2 people in a 3 person cabin. A lot of the connecting cabins are different capacities. Some may be 4 in one cabin and the connecting cabin can only hold 2. Some are 2/2, some are 3/3, etc. So you will only be shown the connecting cabins that meet your configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was assigned a handicap cabin once and didn't realize it until I walked through the door. I immediately went to Guest Services to ask whether or not I had taken a handicap cabin from someone that actually needed one. I was told "no, Carnival knows who does and who doesn't need a handicap cabin". So that's how Carnival feels.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Yeah, it's like people posting frivolous posts, that are extremely narcissistic. And taking up valuable message board space.

They just didn't know any better. How ironic...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I try to avoid connecting cabins unless traveling with family members, I will take a connecting cabin if it is the only one that meets my category, location, and configuration needs (two or three passengers) for that cruise.

Like anything else, I book early at a price I am happy with and so I can pick my cabin.