What chance for an upgrade?

Highpeaklad

I've booked a select fare inside cabin on Britannia grade PF (lowest possible). At the time of booking it said only guarantee cabins are available so I don't have an allocated cabin. Am I right in assuming that the chance of an upgrade to balcony is nil.

I'm asking because I ticked the consider for upgrade box, but to my thinking the PF cabins are in the best place on the ship (A deck, forward), so I'm thinking I would be best ringing and asking to be taken off the upgrade list.

Any thoughts?

We had cabin A124 on Brittania and we thought it was great. Never felt any movement and really good to b so near the pool decks. We have just booked similar location on Azura now. Good luck with your upgrade but forward PF grades are great!

We had cabin A124 on Brittania and we thought it was great. Never felt any movement and really good to b so near the pool decks. We have just booked similar location on Azura now. Good luck with your upgrade but forward PF grades are great!

I don't think I want to be upgraded.

If I could get a balcony, great, but I would consider any other inside a downgrade so if there's no chance of a balcony I think I'd better cancel the upgrade option.

The trend is to be upgraded within the category you have booked, so you might be lucky and get to the top Inside grade cabins wherever they are. Upgrades to the next category seem to go to those who are already in the top grade of their category, eg the top grade of Outside Cabin to a Balcony. Having said all this, none of us ever really know...

It might be worth phoning and asking if you can only be upgraded if its to a balcony grade.Its not advertised on the P and o website but there are actually 3 choices: either no upgrades, upgrades or upgrade only to different category e.g inside to outside etc I ve never heard of anyone being upgraded from an inside to a balcony though its possible but if a balcony cabin became available it is more likely to be offered to a PA grade.

We got offered an upgrade from an inside to balcony on Azura but it was a payable one not free. Very good price so we took it.

We are sailing in an inside cabin on Azura in a few weeks time.Heres hoping!:D:D

If you are looking for a paid upgrade, you may have a chance (but why not pay the extra when you booked?). If you are looking for a free upgrade from an inside to a balcony , you have 2 chances - no chance, and no bl**dy chance.

As ann141 says, there are two very different options to select regarding upgrades and the difference is significant.

The default option, which is what you get if you say you will accept an upgrade, is nothing of the sort. It's simply a move to another cabin that is the same type but that P&O considers to be a higher grade, simply due to the proximity to midships. You may well get one that is in a less desireable position (for those in the know) as it may be above or below an area of noise disturbance.

The far better option is to opt for the (rarely mentioned) proper upgrade option, which is 'upgrade if only to a different cabin TYPE'. This means that if you do get upgraded it's probably worth having (even though it may not be in the best location) as, for example, you would get a balcony (assuming that there are no outside, no balcony cabins).

Don't rule out 'paid' upgrades as they are at a fraction of the normal price difference. For example, it is not uncommon for passengers in the highest level balcony cabins (e.g. Superior Deluxe) to be offered a paid upgrade to a suite for £100, when the brochure price difference would be many thousands of pounds.

If you are looking for a paid upgrade, you may have a chance (but why not pay the extra when you booked?). If you are looking for a free upgrade from an inside to a balcony , you have 2 chances - no chance, and no bl**dy chance.

Wouldn t want to pay the difference in price when booking of a balcony compared with inside cabin but thought paid upgrades only happened if say from superior balcony to suite. Encouraging to hear that very occasionally P and O offer paid upgrades to a higher cabin where the extra paid is no where near the price difference at the time of actual booking.Too late for us I think as we sail in 4 weeks but I always enjoy our cruises even when we choose an inside cabin as we don t spend much time in there.:):):)

Hi Ann

There is still time to be offered paid upgrade if there are still a few suites or mini suites free. We got offered ours 10 days before sailing. We got an email and rang within an hour and got the last one. Fingers crossed for you

Hi Ann

There is still time to be offered paid upgrade if there are still a few suites or mini suites free. We got offered ours 10 days before sailing. We got an email and rang within an hour and got the last one. Fingers crossed for you

That would be lovely:Dbut I think they tend to offer upgrades to suites to those already in superior balcony cabins.We are in a mere inside !!