Age group - Fred Olsen

greenland

Hello,

I was just curious as to the general age profile on Fred Olsen cruises, I am looking at the trip to Spitsbergen on the Balmoral in particular? I am in my 30's and want something very relaxing but an interesting trip and I am considering this as an option.

Thanks you!

Hi. The cruise your are looking at is certainly interesting. At 30 you will probably be the one of the youngest on the cruise.

Would say the majority of passengers will be in the range 55ish to 75ish. As are most Fred cruises, except maybe in Summer Holidays.

Balmoral is our favourite Fred Ship by the way.

To be honest we have only been on one Fred cruise where we felt overwhelmed by the amount of "elderly" passengers.

On all other Fred cruises most people just mix in with no reference to age.

We are in our mid sixties.

Fred is a very friendly and relaxing line, on occasions somewhat like an English Country House.

We went to Greenland and Iceland on the Boudicca a few years back and it was a fantastic cruise.

It is the longer cruises (a month and more), sailing from the UK that has the oldest profile, with quite a number of slow moving people around the ship. Cruises to places such as Spitzbergen and Greenland have quite a different feel as they are destinations not cruised by the mainstream lines and you will find a much wider range of people on board, some of whom spend most of their time on deck with their camera equipment. I agree you will still be one of the youngest, but I that is likely to be the case with any cruise to such a destination.

Balmoral (along with Boudicca and Black Watch) has a very good observation lounge, where you will find plenty of room when other passengers are in the show (which we rarely go to). Sailing north in the summer months gives up to 24 hours of daylight, so you could do what we do and plonk yourself in that lounge in the evenings and look out at the scenery or just watch for whales etc. if in open waters. You cannot get much more restful than that. Going up the coast of Norway, you will find that Fred's ships sail up the inside passage, so those sea days are ones that you can spend observing the spectacular scenery from the comfort of a seat on deck. The larger ships sail out to sea where there is only the sea to be seen and where it can be rough weather.

Regards interest, you will have port talks and there is usually someone on those cruises who will talk about the wildlife to be seen in those waters (whales etc.) There may be another speaker and standard cruise ship shows and activities which you will find on all ships. They are something we tend to avoid most of the time, but you may just find something else of interest. With such long hours of daylight you will never be bored though. From your post it sounds as though you may be travelling alone. If so, you will find that Fred has meetings for single travellers, so that would be a good opportunity to meet like minded people, though you will find plenty of people around who you will get to know fairly easily as it is not a very large ship.

You will see criticisms I have made about some aspects of Fred's cruises, but going that far north, his cruises cannot be bettered in that sort of price range. Spitzbergen is very special, it is the remoteness that has a particular appeal to us, compared with so many touristy places in the world that seem so different to the pictures you see before actually travelling to those places. I envy you being able to go there at such a young age, leaving so many years when you can return again (and again). You will want to I am sure. We went a few years ago now and would love to return some time (I am sure we will), but there are so many other places in the world we would like to see while we are still young and fit enough to be able to do so.

Age is no barrier for like minded people, in fact the best company we had on our Balmoral Spitzbergen cruise (indeed any cruise) was an 80 year old lady who was on our dinner table. She was such good company and my husband was disco dancing with her out on deck, as the band was playing when we sailed into Tromso one very sunny afternoon.

Having been to Spitsbergen twice with Fred. You will probably be on of the youngest (except for children). Expect lots elderly people. There interests and outlook might be different to yours. They might want to talk about grandchildren and ailments. There may be a number of bird watchers and the partners. They tend to be middle aged men with big cameras. I hope I am not stereotyping too much. We met some lovely middle aged and elderly people. One older gentlemen was telling us how he was involved in action in Norway in the war. He had to make his own way back to Britain. Very few of his group survived. This trip was to remember his friends. Sometimes age does not matter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I am getting really excited about the trip now, it sounds amazing. I agree wholeheartedly with the above comment about age being just a number, I suppose I would just like to be amongst some other like minded and active people rather than them having to be my exact age, and it sounds like I will find that. I am interested in photography and bird watching and plan on spending as much time outside on deck as possible. I feel extremely fortunate alright to be able to see these amazing places, and I can imagine returning at some stage already!! Thanks again!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I am getting really excited about the trip now, it sounds amazing. I agree wholeheartedly with the above comment about age being just a number, I suppose I would just like to be amongst some other like minded and active people rather than them having to be my exact age, and it sounds like I will find that. I am interested in photography and bird watching and plan on spending as much time outside on deck as possible. I feel extremely fortunate alright to be able to see these amazing places, and I can imagine returning at some stage already!! Thanks again!

I really hope you enjoy what should be a remarkable cruise. Who you mix with or speak to is up to you, the only potential problem being at the dinner table as, unfortunately, there is fixed dining times and on Fred. We normally request a table for two or a larger table, which is more likely to have a mix of people, but if booking late, you will not get that choice. However, if you do feel uncomfortable with any individual(s) on your dinner table, you will find a quiet word with the Maitre d'Hotel may be able to provide a change of table. There is also the Palms, self service, which can be used on any night or every night if you wish, which can also mean you are free to be on deck whenever you want to. We have been known to skip a meal and use room service at another time for fodder, so that we can be in the observation lounge, or on deck for a specific sight (e.g. Prins Christian Sound in Greenland).

We have spent 177 nights on Fred's ships to date and have never come across anyone who wanted to talk about their grandchildren, ailments or war history, though you can never say never, I suppose.

If you get time afterwards, be sure to post a review on this site, reviews of cruises to unusual destinations can be difficult to find.

Enjoy,

Barbara

PS If you have a problem with your cabin for any reason, let customer services know as they may be able to help as well. Nothing can be promised, but always worth asking.

If you do prefer a table for two be aware that on the Balmoral in the Ballindalloch Restaurant most of the two tables are about three inches from a table for four. This makes them effectively a table for six and is treated as such by the waiters. I believe either the Spey or the Avon has more actual tables for two but not sure which one.

Both the Avon and Spey have tables for two, and they are treated as one restaurant when a booking is requested for them. There is no real difference between etiher of them, they are both very nice; smaller and quieter than the main restaurant.

It tends to be older people who say this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't class myself as 'old' or 'older' - I am in my forties - and I would agree; age is a number - many a time we have partied until well into the early hours (2-4.30am) on some of the Fred Olsen ships with people younger than us & also a lot older than us & they all certainly knew how to have a good time ;);)