Cozumel, Roatan, Grand Cayman or Belize?

jreeves6

I know this question has been asked a bunch but I'd like to see what recent visitors have to say. I know there was issues with coral bleaching in different areas years ago...not sure if there's still any issues? Our Carnival cruise is visiting all 4 ports and I can't decide where to snorkel. Also, if anyone has excursion recommendations please share!:)

Do a Mayan Ruins tour in Belize. Snorkel the others.

You better see what reefs you can while you can, I read in the Economist Magazine recently that by 2050 most of the reefs in the world will be bleached out.

Roatan has reefs that are lush and gorgeous, right near shore. Best way to do it though is to do a boat excursion so you are away from the swimmers at beaches who muck up the vis and scare away the fish. Lots of choices there.

Cozumel snorkeling is probably the worst of that group as the real reefs are far out away from shore and deeper than you can enjoy snorkeling. Snorkeling from shore is limited to some small coral heads or rubble with fish.

Belize can get you out to shallow reefs with fish (boat excursions only) but Belize is also where you can visit the best Mayan ruins on tours.

Grand Cayman... good snorkeling and clear water, but I would once again say do a boat excursion to get away from the splashing and coral damage on shorelines.