Hotel in St. Maarten

glo3479

We stayed at the Holland House Beach Hotel a couple of years ago when sailing out of SXM. Actually it was very acceptable for a one night stay. The beach was beautiful out front but it was also right in the middle of town so it was very easy to walk to local restaurants for dinner. It was also VERY close to where SD was docked so it was a very short cab ride. Would stay there again!

Just a heads-up. Don't rely upon SeaDream's information as to where the yacht will dock. This past January we were supposed to end our cruise in Marigot, but the winds were too heavy to get into that port. We ended up disembarking at Philipsburg. Additionally, flying out that day they could not leave with a full load of fuel due to the winds. Had to make a gas station stop at SJU. Top off the tanks, clean the windshield, and check the air in the tires. But couldn't get off to use the restroom or buy HoHo's and grape Nehi's for the rest of the trip.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...ast/ar-BBEkmRB

and be careful watching the planes take off and land.

I saw that too. I admit to dumb boy tricks from time to time. We saw a young girl blown off the fence into the same concrete curb but she only hurt her arm. I like the take of the SXM police "People come from all over the world to experience Maho Beach, we have signs and police telling people that the fence is very dangerous". In this country, the beach would be closed, businesses shut down, and no one allowed within a mile of the fence. Not trying to start a fight, just an observation on world events. :cool:

Just a heads-up. Don't rely upon SeaDream's information as to where the yacht will dock. This past January we were supposed to end our cruise in Marigot, but the winds were too heavy to get into that port. We ended up disembarking at Philipsburg. Additionally, flying out that day they could not leave with a full load of fuel due to the winds. Had to make a gas station stop at SJU. Top off the tanks, clean the windshield, and check the air in the tires. But couldn't get off to use the restroom or buy HoHo's and grape Nehi's for the rest of the trip.

Yes, understood. And actually in my infinite wisdom I had assumed (yes, I know what they say about assuming...) that embarkation for the trip we're looking at is scheduled at Philipsburg. I looked again only to see that embarkation is scheduled at Marigot! So.....now, I'm interested in hotel suggestions based upon embarkation at Marigot. Thanks.

Not trying to start a fight, just an observation on world events. :cool:

Not really world events, Jim. Just the way different countries look at things. In the Carib, as well as many places around the world, if you want to be an idiot, they let you, but will tell you they warned you. In some places, they are constantly warning you, e.g. in London you are told to look right for cars before stepping into the street, and to "mind the gap" when riding the underground. In our litigious society (yeah, I know I'm a lawyer), we take extra steps to keep the idiots from getting hurt. But the best of the idiots will figure out a way to out"smart" the system, like the machine operator who rigs his machine so he can pull both levers with only one hand, thereby enabling him to put the other hand under the blade.

And ctbjr, just check that morning to see where the yacht actually is. Happy sailing!

Hi Ohmiss. Good to hear from you. Yes we are ok. Another day older and deeper in debt....:eek::cool:. Going on SeaDream any time soon?

:cool:Most likely, Jim!! Glad you're doing fine! How about you? SeaDreaming anytime soon???

:cool:Most likely, Jim!! Glad you're doing fine! How about you? SeaDreaming anytime soon???

No, we have a couple booked but they come under the heading "Cheating on SeaDream" (to borrow from Knothead). Surely we will be back sometime. Hope to sail with you again. :cool:

I saw that too. I admit to dumb boy tricks from time to time. We saw a young girl blown off the fence into the same concrete curb but she only hurt her arm. I like the take of the SXM police "People come from all over the world to experience Maho Beach, we have signs and police telling people that the fence is very dangerous". In this country, the beach would be closed, businesses shut down, and no one allowed within a mile of the fence. Not trying to start a fight, just an observation on world events. :cool:

We love Maho Beach. No where else like it. Agree with you on SXM relaxed attitude on personal responsibility. Hope this event doesn't result in any changes. We will be sailing SD in January, out of SXM and ,yes, departure port is subject to change so we will probably stay somewhere near Maho.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums