Ensenada safety

Scrapninja

I am cruising to Ensenada in a month, with my 18 year old step daughter. Who is physically handicapped (dwarfism). What are some fun things that we can do and be safe, I am worried that people will gawk at her (more than usual) because of her size, and I dont want her to be a target for knapping because of her size. We are really excited for the trip, and especially mexico so she can enjoy a legal adult beverage. Where should we go???? and how should we get there?

Here are several things I have done and recommend:

1. La Bufadora: Natural rock formation (Blow hole) where waves come crashing into the side of a cliff and spew out water through a natural formed spout, and onto you (water shoots out and onto those on the lookout). Be aware that to get to the blowhole, you'll have to go through a flea market, and it's a long walk. nice thing is that on your way back to the bus (assuming you did an excursion), there's a taco vendor and a bar where you can enjoy a nice fish or carne asada taco, or a quesadilla.
  2. Wine Tour: There are two types of tours, one that actually goes into a winery with an orchard, and another that takes you to a wine warehouse that stores wines in oak barrels. Both are nice.
  3. Downtown Ensenada: Street vendors will have some awesome ceviche that you can't get anywhere. You might want to google/bing world famous Ensenada ceviche. There's also places to shop and bars galore. for 4 bucks you can ride in a horse driven carriage back to the ship.

Well, if you want to get a drink and experience some history, then head over to Hussong's Cantina. It is off the main tourist drag a few doors down from Papas and Beer. It is the oldest operating bar in Baja and features good Mariachi music most of the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussong%27s

I highly recommend the Valle Guadalupe for the views and the pleasant experience. My favorite winery for the view (not the wine) is Las Nubes which has a glorious view of Valle. The ship's tour will probably go to La Cetto. If you go, try their Nebbiolo wine which I like a lot. It is an Italian grape which makes sense given the founders were Italian.

Don't worry too much about your step daughter. Ensenada is a really low key city and is very welcoming to tourists.

If you want to stay around town....

There is a new science museum where the port meets the street. Signs in English and Spanish. Downstairs is geology etc. check out the shake room. Upstairs is local history. It's geared towards school age kids but it is informative.

The Malecon (boardwalk) was recently remodeled. Many times there's some sort of festival going on under the Big Flag.

If you take the wine or other tours thru Carnival, your DD might not be able to drink because the ship follows US drinking laws. Otherwise any restaurant will serve her without question.

We like three places, all on or half a block from the main road. We've gone to these places for years and never had an issue.

-Taquiero Mexico Lindo between Papas n Beer and Hussongs, Martin makes a good margarita.

-Hussong's supposedly invented the margarita. Sometimes there's a 21 age sign on the door. They're tying to prevent the hordes of kids, not someone traveling with their mom ;).

-El Haciendo Del Charro has chickens rotation in the window.

-Guadalajara serves birria (a type of shredded meat). Not too many tourists are here.

Look them up on TripAdvisor. All take $US.

Only Mexican kidnappings I've ever heard about have to do with the Cartels. Stay in the tourist area.

ETA--the three restaurants have clean bathrooms (unk about Hussongs). Throw ALL paper in the trash, not in the toilet.