ALL the INFO (in table form) on EXPERIENCES, MSC CLUB, SERVICE CHARGES etc. etc

Skier52

Yep ............that's correct, Kikki. The included drinks list on the basic package is quite extensive with a very good selection of branded spirits. The wine choices available are a bit limited, though, which is why we stump for the premium package. A better choice of wines as well as all the other extras is better value (to us) than buying other wines throughout the course of the cruise.

What's included is very generous indeed compared to some other cruise lines! We like our prosecco & I also like Beringer Zinfandel & of course cocktails! My other half likes whisky & bourbon so he is also going to be well happy!

• 2 weeks later...

Are the red star items excluded from YC package also - or does YC all inclusive include the red stars?

Yep ............that's correct, Kikki. The included drinks list on the basic package is quite extensive with a very good selection of branded spirits. The wine choices available are a bit limited, though, which is why we stump for the premium package. A better choice of wines as well as all the other extras is better value (to us) than buying other wines throughout the course of the cruise.

Hi we are sailing on Splendia in February 4th from Abu Dhabi 2018. Would anyone have any idea what the weather would be like? We are also 1st time cruisers of MSC having returned from NCL Norwegian Epic western Mediterranean cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed. We are in 12220 inside cabin any reviews on this cabin? We are also doing the Fantastica experience. All help and advice would be appreciated thank you

Are the red star items excluded from YC package also - or does YC all inclusive include the red stars?

There hasn't been a definitive answer to this question, yet. I'm hoping to get more clarity on Friday when I board Meraviglia.

I am still trying to find an answer to what should be a simple question of how much do drinks cost on the Sinfonia when sailing Venice to Durban /Durban to Venice // Venice to Cape Town /Cape Town to Venice.

In doing so there is also a problem in what the onboard currency is going North it should be in Dollars and South in Euro according to MSC But some members have suggested the pricing for drinks going North is in Euro and a further complication is the drink vouchers ( NO AI on these trips) is paid for in GBP but the suggested values are in US$

ALL-INCLUSIVE DRINK PASS

18 drinks of your choice that you can consume in bars and restaurants. Included drinks: spirits and liqueurs with the price up to 3.9US$, cocktails with the price up to 4.8US$, wines by the glass with the price up to 4US$, draught and bottled beer, ciders and spirit coolers, energy drinks, canned sodas, fruit juices, mineral water, coffee-based drinks, hot chocolate delights and takeaway ice cream in a cone or cup. Less Details ===Price per package:£ 41,00

Another discrepancy on MSC side is that they state

Currency on Board

For cruises in the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Antilles, Dubai, the Emirates and Oman, as well as MSC Grand Voyages departing from Europe, the onboard currency is the Euro (€).

For cruises in the Caribbean, South America and South Africa, as well as MSC Grand Voyages going to Europe and to Australia, the onboard currency is the US Dollar ($).

That is really not true ! - on our Feb17 Cruise on the Poesia which was totally in the carribbean the prices and service charges were in Euro as was our on board account.

I have only a few poor pics pictures of the drinks menu this was in the Buffet and I have

copied the useful leaflet you get on board showing what is where.

Poesia4_zpsluvd91lq.png

Poesia3_zpsspcv3buh.png

Poesia%201_zpsig6x5cqm.png

Poesia2_zpsdg9rdyp3.png

We were on Sinfonia from Venice to Durban last October; the currency onboard was Euros. When we arrived, it changed to US $.

MSC has a policy of not selling all-inclusive drinks packages when in South Africa from negative experiences in the past when they did. That's why you can't get one on the repo to Venice. Drinks are much cheaper when in, and sailing from, South Africa.

Currency onboard in the Caribbean depends on which waters the ship sails in. When not in US territorial waters, the currency is Euros.

Thanks Bea

We were on Sinfonia from Venice to Durban last October; the currency onboard was Euros. When we arrived, it changed to US $.

Yes that is what it says in their literature.

Drinks are much cheaper when in, and sailing from, South Africa.

Yes that would seem to be the case but sofar MSC have not confirmed that to any of us who have asked.

Currency onboard in the Caribbean depends on which waters the ship sails in. When not in US territorial waters, the currency is Euros.

That is NOT what their literature says.

I took MSC UK to task over their advert that said the Vouchers Package was available in the Caribbean and shortly after they changed the wording so it said it was available on the Divinia.

I am guessing that it is the same with the currency and they need to change their literature to say sailing from the US. I do not think US territorial waters come into the equation as that would only be 12 NM from the US coast.

As to why is appears on a SA to Europe trip purchases are priced in $US but debited to on board accounts in euro is going to be my next question to MSC.

Thanks Bea

Yes that is what it says in their literature.

Yes that would seem to be the case but sofar MSC have not confirmed that to any of us who have asked.

That is NOT what their literature says.

I took MSC UK to task over their advert that said the Vouchers Package was available in the Caribbean and shortly after they changed the wording so it said it was available on the Divinia.

I am guessing that it is the same with the currency and they need to change their literature to say sailing from the US. I do not think US territorial waters come into the equation as that would only be 12 NM from the US coast.

I meant unincorporated territory such as Puerto Rico.

I have a similar problem with a cruise we're considering. Apparently, depending on which islands they visit in the Caribbean, the currency can be either Euros or dollars. If, for example, one of the ports is San Juan, Puerto Rico, the currency will be $, but if they only visit the likes of Martinique and St Maarten (European 'territories') the currency will be €. This is not down to MSC - it's US policy. A similar example is the state tax applied to purchases when in Spanish waters in the Med - something MSC has no control over.

I totally agree, though, that information is poor in the extreme on the website. We were on Divina for her crossing to Miami. The information on the website clearly states that Euro is the currency on Grand Voyages from Europe. Despite this, the currency was US$ because Divina was staying stateside for a number of seasons so the ship was readied for the American market beforehand. We were never informed of this. There were a lot of complaints at Guest Services about this issue.

Edited by Beamafar
Closing the gap between paragraphs - I wish CC would sort this out! I've edited three times, now!

Hi we are sailing on Splendia in February 4th from Abu Dhabi 2018. Would anyone have any idea what the weather would be like? We are also 1st time cruisers of MSC having returned from NCL Norwegian Epic western Mediterranean cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed. We are in 12220 inside cabin any reviews on this cabin? We are also doing the Fantastica experience. All help and advice would be appreciated thank you

(weather) When we cruise, we often look up the average weather online (via search engine) to find high / low temperatures (plus rainfall), during the month of travel in the respective city and/or country.

(stateroom) Before booking a stateroom, we look at the deck plan for any floor we are considering, as well as the floor directly above and below our tentative stateroom. We prefer not to be next to a heavily used area (ie: crew stairs or storage), and also prefer not to be located under or over public areas, such as a lounge, restaurant or pool, etc. MSC's website shows the deck plans for each ship. In looking at the deck plan for the Splendida, you are located aft / starboard - conveniently located near stairs and elevators.

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing in August 2017.

I am wondering if it makes sense to wait to purchase the Internet or Drink Packages on board.

Do they offer "first day" specials on-board for Drink or Internet Packages?

Or, is it cheaper to order them on the MSC website prior to embarkation?

Also, as excursions sell out on the MSC website, do they offer new/other excursions?

Do they offer different/new excursions once we embark?

We are sailing in August 2017.

I am wondering if it makes sense to wait to purchase the Internet or Drink Packages on board.

Do they offer "first day" specials on-board for Drink or Internet Packages?

Or, is it cheaper to order them on the MSC website prior to embarkation?

Also, as excursions sell out on the MSC website, do they offer new/other excursions?

Do they offer different/new excursions once we embark?

IF YOU BUY ON BOARD YOU WILL PAY THE EXTRA 15% SERVICE CHARGE

sorry about the caps lock

They don't usually have any additional excursions on board to the ones on their web site, they are more likely to cancel because of insufficient uptake or combine two languages on one excursion.

they sell out because of language and may offer the same excursion in a different language.

Pete

wonderful post...so much information !! thank you !

quick question:

we are leaving on the divina in a couple of weeks.

we did not pre pay our gratuities,

I keep reading about anything charged on board will be paid thru a bank in France, so I was

thinking about setting up the on board account with cash. I am not really sure how that works, do you put on a certain amount and how / when do they refund the balance if any.

If I call MSC now, and pre pay gratuities and also add a internet pkg, will the charge now be paid in US funds or is it too late.

I saw on their web site, that I can purchase the interest pkg and also add obc, just wanted to know if that would be charged in US funds now or once on board thru the France bank.

thank you for all the information. so very helpful !!!

wonderful post...so much information !! thank you !

quick question:

we are leaving on the divina in a couple of weeks.

we did not pre pay our gratuities,

I keep reading about anything charged on board will be paid thru a bank in France, so I was

thinking about setting up the on board account with cash. I am not really sure how that works, do you put on a certain amount and how / when do they refund the balance if any.

If I call MSC now, and pre pay gratuities and also add a internet pkg, will the charge now be paid in US funds or is it too late.

I saw on their web site, that I can purchase the interest pkg and also add obc, just wanted to know if that would be charged in US funds now or once on board thru the France bank.

thank you for all the information. so very helpful !!!

You can use cash for your account, I've never done it myself but basically you go to guest services and they will do it there

AS for getting back any spare it will involve a long queue on disembarkation day early In the morning.

if you pre-pay the banking should be through the US not France

If you pre-order then it will be charged on board and go via France

The other questions I can't give an answer to as I live in the UK so banking is different, I have a credit card and I do not have any charges to pay the bill via a French bank

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
THE EXPERIENCES CONTINUED

experiences%203.jpg

EXPERIENCES%204.jpg

Hi Pete,

Just noticed this thread - wonderful job!

Had a question on "Within the Fantastic Experience, free time dining is only available for Fantastica balcony guests. My understanding was that we had to take assigned dining and could phone daily to ask for flex dining for that night. Not true? We have Fantastica B-2.

I also saw photos in this thread of balconies on Deck 9. Is this one of the smaller balconies? We are on hump, 9157 and hoping this size doesn't pertain to our cabin.

Thanks so so much!

Skiers post and that info is 2 years old!.

You need to check out the current experiences.

As you are in the US , probably on the US MSC site.

They are different in the UK and Europe where we are the poor relations when it comes to cruise perks.

They are different in the UK and Europe where we are the poor relations when it comes to cruise perks.

Thanks - don't know what I was thinking when I read this....Needed more coffee I guess!

Thanks - don't know what I was thinking when I read this....Needed more coffee I guess!

I've updated the info in a new thread

here is a link to the UPDATED thread entitled

UPDATED:- ALL the INFO (in table form) on EXPERIENCES, MSC CLUB, SERVICE CHARGES etc

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2505973

Pete

Great info many thanks. I've searched several threads but cannot seem to find the answer so wonder does anyone know please?

We are looking to purchase the all inclusive (standard not premium) drinks package. If we choose a drink that is not included i.e has a red star can we pay the difference or is it the full advertised price?

Many thanks in advance

Denise

We are looking to purchase the all inclusive (standard not premium) drinks package. If we choose a drink that is not included i.e has a red star can we pay the difference or is it the full advertised price?

Many thanks in advance

Denise

Hi Denise ................... the straightforward answer is that you cannot pay the difference. You pay full price plus 15% service charge!

Hi Denise ................... the straightforward answer is that you cannot pay the difference. You pay full price plus 15% service charge!

Thanks Bea

Seems like my other halves love of British type beer ;p will have to go unquenched but he will survive.

Denise

I've updated the info in a new thread

here is a link to the UPDATED thread entitled

UPDATED:- ALL the INFO (in table form) on EXPERIENCES, MSC CLUB, SERVICE CHARGES etc

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2505973

Pete

Thanks for updating. The info you posted is very valuable.

I was not quite clear on " the bank in France charging " for US customers ?

Appreciate if you or anyone US based will elaborate. Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Pete..

Would you be so kind as to let me know of any information that you would have on cabin 11180 on Seaside? We are booked for 2/17/18. This will be our first MSC cruise and we were thrilled to be offered the loyalty program of our Platinum status with another line.

Thank You so much for all the wonderful information that we have been reading on this thread!!:D