Video Editing PSA

Laszlo

I originally put this in the main area, I didn't realize CC had a photo and camera section.

Over the last month or so I've been contacted by a couple CC members. The story is always the same. They have shot a lot of 4K video either on their camera or Go Pro and can't edit it. 4K video looks Great, but please make sure your computer can handle it. The problem is 4K files are very large and require newer computers (2-3 years old) to process it. Yes older computers with slower process can do it but it is very very slow and lots of times will just get overloaded and crash. Please be sure to do a few short test videos, one at 1080 another at 4K before you leave on your trip. If the 4K video stutters while playing back you'll have an almost impossible time trying to edit it. 1080 either 30fps or 60fps should play back and edit fine on computers 3-6 years old.

Some of you have put together some fantastic videos of your cruises. Don't be the one person who comes home and is unable to edit the footage you shot.

For beginners using a Mac I recommend iMovie or Go Pro's software.... https://shop.gopro.com/softwareandap...k-Desktop.html

I responded to your entry on the NCL site. May I ask your advice? I am headed to Alaska soon and I have several people who have expressed interest in my trip. They want to hear all about it and the easiest way to show them will be with a video. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have a regular laptop computer (not a Mac) and digital camera (not a GoPro).

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I responded to your entry on the NCL site. May I ask your advice? I am headed to Alaska soon and I have several people who have expressed interest in my trip. They want to hear all about it and the easiest way to show them will be with a video. I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have a regular laptop computer (not a Mac) and digital camera (not a GoPro).

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

You can find Adobe Premier Elements on sale on Amazon pretty regularly. It is as full featured as a non-broadcast videographer would likely need and there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube. I use it for the limited video I shoot on my digital cameras (1080p, not 4K yet) and it runs fine on my home PC.

Adobe's products started as Mac only but as soon as PC hardware caught up graphically, they showed market savvy and made sure the 85% share that windows owns on the home computer market is well served.

Dave