Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

We have used that special as well. When you check in , make they order the shuttle for time you want. The shuttle isn't run by the hotel but one that does most of the hotels in Richmond for cruise passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you everyone for the great input. We will be arriving the day before so dropping luggage at port and then driving back to airport won't work this time but that is a definite option for the next cruise when we will have younger family members with us who can do the driving and luggage lugging! We decided on the Accent Inn as they offered round trip shuttle service directly to the cruise port and a very reasonable price for the complete package.

We have stayed at that property several times in the past 18 months and have left our car with them for 2 to 3+ weeks and always have been extremely happy. They properties are owned by a well known and highly respected family and to do a great job managing them. I am sure that you will be happy there.

Help! I've been through Canada Place numerous times and have experienced horrendous delays in 'the never-ending lines' leading to the ships! BUT, this time I am traveling with someone who cannot tolerate getting up and down nor stand for extended periods. I plan on parking at ParkWest and will drop off luggage and said person before parking, but am told by Celebrity that pier assistance doesn't start until after security. All I remember is that there was a lot of waiting involved in getting on ships in the past and this person cannot stand like everyone else! Any info about wheelchair assistance from the curb through all the lines? We do not need a wheelchair on the ship (movement will be on our terms).........it's the long standing and timeframe to get on the ship that worries me. Have never needed this accommodation before and don't know if there is wheelchair assistance from the curb to Celebrity's assistance. Thoughts, experiences and assistance is welcome!!

Bring a rollator/folding seat cane. It's the only way to absolutely *guarantee* there will be a chair available for your companion. Might also be useful onboard too - while you may choose when you're walking you cannot control the wind & waves! having that little extra support just in case seems like a sensible plan...

While in theory there should be some help available, there simply are not always places where a chair can be placed but a queue is required (e.g. Security queue snakes around through 'ropes on sticks' so exact routing varies - sometimes I've seen folks in the situation like you describe offered a chair near the end of the queue to just sit in while their able-bodied companions worm through the queue; other times I've seen entire parties with wheelchair users sent straight to the head of the queue; yet other times I've seen folks told "no chair for you until after security, if you need one you should have brought one" - the last was at Ballantyne, the old terminal, but was still a bit of a shocker!)

You could rent rollator, travel chair etc. as well if they're adamant they don't need one in the long term yet so buying would not be on the cards.

Thx....... It's those dang lines getting into the terminal that create the problems!! The person will have some visible medical equipment and I may point that out to 'someone' that he is compromised and would benefit from expedited treatment or a place to sit while I wait in line. I hadn't thought of pointing this out --it's all new stuff to us-- so I'm willing to make the case if it gets him through the line without damage. That's the point of the cruise......get away and enjoy the get away!!

Help! I've been through Canada Place numerous times and have experienced horrendous delays in 'the never-ending lines' leading to the ships! BUT, this time I am traveling with someone who cannot tolerate getting up and down nor stand for extended periods. I plan on parking at ParkWest and will drop off luggage and said person before parking, but am told by Celebrity that pier assistance doesn't start until after security. All I remember is that there was a lot of waiting involved in getting on ships in the past and this person cannot stand like everyone else! Any info about wheelchair assistance from the curb through all the lines? We do not need a wheelchair on the ship (movement will be on our terms).........it's the long standing and timeframe to get on the ship that worries me. Have never needed this accommodation before and don't know if there is wheelchair assistance from the curb to Celebrity's assistance. Thoughts, experiences and assistance is welcome!!

Dudette has MS and before it came to the point that she must travel/cruise in her own wheelchair here is how we confronted the line issues at Canada Place and other terminals throughout North America, the UK and Europe. First I would contact or have your TA contact the Accessibility Department of Celebrity and advise them that your companion is in need of a "wheelchair assist" for embarkation and disembarkation; the suggestion that wheelchair assistance is only available post security is nonsense. Then upon arrival at Canada Place I would find your companion a chair and then locate a Celebrity representative that has a walkie talkie and advise them that your companion requires a wheelchair assist and that you have requested one thru the Accessibility Office. They will radio for one....you may have to wait awhile but one will be forthcoming. The pusher will advance you thru security, CBP and the check-in procedure in record time.....no problem. Even today with Dudette in her own wheelchair we request a "pusher" at any port of embarkation or disembarkation. Just a small postscript, pushers always appreciate a tip, say $5 to $10 depending how long he or she has to spend with you.

I would do the following...

1. drive to cruise terminal and drop off your luggage.
  2. drive vehicle to Park West with your loved one. Where is the Park West?
  3. go to the cruise terminal with loved one (elevator up? cab?)

Other options...

• cab to cruise terminal with luggage and loved one.
  • Vancouver greatly respects the disabled. We travel with a "transport" wheelchair. Once they see a wheelchair, we are expedited with the staff side entrance to security and then the express lanes through customs to the boarding area. I think on our Princess trip, we were in our cabins in less than 30 minutes from baggage drop.
  • @thyme2go: you said standing long periods is a concern... what about a rocking ship? I was glad we had a transport chair on those exposed waters outside the passages. Getting from the dining area to the cabin was so much more practical.
  • Transport chair also comes in handy when hauling all our carry-on's when not used.

Thanks so much for the advice.............It sounds like it is possible to get assistance from the start and that is what I'm looking for. We have pier assistance noted on our reservation. Endurance is the concern so the movement on the boats is not an issue, but standing in long winding lines for extended time is an obstacle...............(Unfortunately I've spent hours doing just that in the past in Vancouver!!) Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.......it help's me feel that I can find a way through this without too much trauma or worry.........we are ready to go!

• 1 month later...

Anyone with recent experience of FlyOver Canada in Vancouver? We would like to take the ride but not sure about time involved. We will be arriving fairly early on our departure day, wondering if it's feasible to take the ride after dropping off luggage but before boarding or is it better to take it post cruise when we have more time? We have transportation back to our hotel, where our car will be parked during the cruise but wondering if there is someplace secure at the cruise terminal to store luggage while we ride.

Yes it's feasible....

• do make reservations for your Flight. If it's a busy long weekend, the desired show may be sold out.
  • drop luggage at cruise terminal
  • they accept carry-on's at the Fly Over Canada lobby
  • enjoy the flight
  • retrieve carry-on's
  • join cruise ship security line for your complimentary search and pat-down

I recommend giving Fly Over Canada a call to discuss a recommended flight time with their hours and when you want to be in that security line.

Hmm... possible idea....

• 10am drop off luggage
  • 10:30am Fly Over Canada
  • 11:30am rejoin security line

Again give Fly Over Canada a call to discuss your options. Or course... post cruise is another option.

The entire program length is under 30mins for pre-show, moving into the actual ride, getting everyone strapped in, riding for <8mins, then being moved back out into the exit area. Add on however long the queue time is, plus five minutes walk/elevator each way from cruise part of the terminal. I've heard of queues getting up to the 45min mark on peak days but have personally never experienced more than a 15min wait without a reso. That's a very small sample size so take it with a pinch of salt - but I'd be astounded if you had to spend more than 90mins total even on a very busy day.

Anyone with recent experience of FlyOver Canada in Vancouver? We would like to take the ride but not sure about time involved. We will be arriving fairly early on our departure day, wondering if it's feasible to take the ride after dropping off luggage but before boarding or is it better to take it post cruise when we have more time? We have transportation back to our hotel, where our car will be parked during the cruise but wondering if there is someplace secure at the cruise terminal to store luggage while we ride.

Yes it entirely feasible to see the Fly Over Canada on you embarkation morning. The luggage porters normally start accepting luggage at Canada Place at about 0930 so you can check you luggage and carry on the show. This link will provide you with a great deal of information and answer most of your questions.

https://www.flyovercanada.com/hours-pricing/