Kahului, Maui - Cab to Rental Car Pickup

old sole

We have an Alamo car rented at Kahului Airport in October. Since we made the reservation Alamo has apparently stopped offering shuttle service between the port and the airport.

Is taxi service readily available at the port? Is there a taxi stand to just hail one, or do you have to call and ask for one to be dispatched? Where do you have to go to get it? (I assume they can't come into the port area itself).

There is no taxi stand at the port and only the rental shuttles from the airport next door are allowed inside the port for those with reservations. You would need to research taxi companies and find one willing to pick you up, I would guess, somewhere near the port gate. But I can't see paying for a taxi each way when a shuttle is free. Are you locked into that Alamo rental? Usually, those reservations can be cancelled without any penalty. I would simply rent from one of the airport located companies who still provide continuously running shuttles picking you up inside the port, like Thrifty.

Does Enterprise at the airport run a shuttle or do you have to call them for a pick up? If yes, are they able to come inside the port for pickup? Thanks for any help

Enterprise has an office across the street and down about a block (at 40 Hana Highway) from the pedestrian entrance/exit to the port that you can walk to/from. No shuttle needed. Their business hours are not as long as the airport location, but they are more convenient.

There is no taxi stand at the port and only the rental shuttles from the airport next door are allowed inside the port for those with reservations. You would need to research taxi companies and find one willing to pick you up, I would guess, somewhere near the port gate. But I can't see paying for a taxi each way when a shuttle is free. Are you locked into that Alamo rental? Usually, those reservations can be cancelled without any penalty. I would simply rent from one of the airport located companies who still provide continuously running shuttles picking you up inside the port, like Thrifty.

Yep, thanks Brenda. I am too much of a linear thinker for my own good! Have now switched to Dollar which does have the shuttle service.

• 3 weeks later...
Enterprise has an office across the street and down about a block (at 40 Hana Highway) from the pedestrian entrance/exit to the port that you can walk to/from. No shuttle needed. Their business hours are not as long as the airport location, but they are more convenient.

Do they offer any solution to the overnight parking problem or do they recommend the airport?

Do they offer any solution to the overnight parking problem or do they recommend the airport?

We have no idea what they may say, but we do doubt that they would recommend parking in the Maui Mall (almost next door to them), as signs there threaten tow away if parked overnight. The airport parking is really the best/safest recommendation unless you like taking chances. One other thought is if you won't be out late Sunday and won't be out early Monday, return your car before they close Sunday and rent it again when they open on Monday. Don't know how that works out financially, but you avoid the airport parking fee and taxi/Uber fees since you can walk to and from the ship from there. Don't know if it is true or not, but someone posted once that renting from an off-airport location was cheaper than renting at the airport. Just food for thought in case this may fit your schedule.