Emirates: Worth the price?

zlato

Thanks.

And yes, we know it's not "really" a double bed. But it's close enough, with the divider all the way down.

(As wonderful as CX F was - and we want to do that again! - the 6 seats were arranged so that there was pretty much total privacy, even on the side with the "opening" facing each other. So if we wanted to talk or share a comment or such, we couldn't just "lean over", the way one can with the regular "pair" in some F cabins, such as JL. NOT COMPLAINING :D)

But you raise a good point... about doing it as some separate flights rather than a true "round the world", so as to get the choice airlines and routes.

How many "hotel nights" did they need, and how many separate times through security? At least for a trip like this, there wouldn't be tons of luggage to schlep around!

But we'd probably decide to stop at least a few places to see some sights.

We are taking a Hurtigruten cruise late next winter, and it's still tempting to route ourselves through JFK only so that we can try to get Singapore Suites to FRA, and at least have the experience (and the photo :) ) on that relatively short leg. But doing that means two extra transfers in just one direction, plus an overnight... and that means needing to go back through security again. Aaargh. Too bad there aren't small hotels airside...

This has really whetted my appetite for more of this special travel. And who knows what new hardware will be coming up in future years...?

I just wish there were some truly luxe cross-country (USA) F seating. We managed to try JetBlue Mint home from Barbados last winter, and that was quite a nice surprise. Much nicer than we were expecting. Nothing super luxe or super wide, but definitely a flat bed for sleep.

We did end up on a very short leg of AA's domestic F "pod" seating, so now we know about that, but not from our airport. We'd have to make an extra stop at JFK. That's okay for ultra long haul (e.g., Japan), but not for a 5+ hour flight.

For OP, the time really "flew" (pun intended) in top airline F comfort. We honestly wished the flight had taken longer, crazy as that might seem.

Enjoy whichever airline F you take. You are obviously considering a few of the top choices.

My friends did LAX-ICN-TPE-HKG-BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK. Then, they tacked on a long weekend down to Panama from JFK before heading home. They spent 1 or 2 nights in each place (except FRA - that was just a stop). They stayed at InterContinental several places, and then in Singapore stayed at the Marina Bay Hotel. THAT place looked amazing!! It had a rooftop infinity pool overlooking the bay. Their room was on the 47th floor, so the pool was even higher up. Stayed one night in Bangkok with a friend. One night in Hong Kong, then I'm not sure how they split the other nights. They were on a Singapore 777 LAX-ICN and it was the "usual" pod seats, not the suites in that First Class...

Thanks to all who responded to my initial posting, regardless of the content of the responses. I have gained valuable information regarding future trips. My wife and I have decided to keep our FC Emirates reservations. It is our belief that getting to and from a destination should not significantly detract from the destination itself; thus, even though it will take additional time to fly to Japan and may not be the best value dollar wise, when possible and affordable the mode of travel should enhanced the total experience. We believe and hope that the FC Emirates experience will confirm our beliefs! Happy travels to everyone!

We flew business JFK/Dubai and on to Delhi in January. We were on a 380 the first leg of our trip. The plane itself made the flight super but the flight (on a different aircraft) from Dubai to Delhi was "nice". I suspect the type aircraft makes a flight from/to the same cities on one airline over another better or not and if you're flying business or 1st on a different airline, but both are using the same type aircraft.....not such a big difference.