Question omg Flying

nelsonbrandyl

I know, right?? My parents currently live a little over 5 hours from me, and I hate the drive. In a year or so they'll be moving and will be 7 hours away and I'm thinking "nope, I may well have to fly," even though the door to door trip wouldn't save me any time due to the necessary flight connection. But for me, it beats 7 hours behind the wheel.

I don't mind driving -- we've done plenty of roadtrips over the years -- it's just the prospect of the 2 hour drive home, after a few days in New York, followed by a 2 week cruise. Last time I checked, the savings was nearly $150/person. With 8 people, that adds up quick. But the way rates change, it could flip-flop again by the time we're ready to book flights.

I know there are people who enjoy driving but I just cannot imagine trying to drive 19 hours in one day, even switching drivers every couple of hours. And it's not just about the hard costs of gas, tolls, parking etc. There are soft costs to think about....You have to consider what your time is worth, your mental well being, and how you'll feel upon arrival and so forth. Everyone is different, but I would tend to be more flexible in terms of flight costs, and not limit my deal breaker price to exactly what gas, parking etc. would be. For many people, a couple hundred dollars over and above that $250 would be well worth it to avoid driving 19 hours there and another 19 back. YMMV

I know you said you aren't paying for oil changes for a while, but you still need to consider that a 19 hour trip (really 38, when you consider the return trip) will put a lot of mileage on your car that will contribute to its depreciation.

+1. I would never even consider driving that far for anything... our time is worth a lot more than that. Especially driving that far after a vacation--it would be so depressing to me!

Then again, with the exception of European cruises, we've always been "fly in the day of" people, so maybe my opinion isn't worth much :)

+1. I would never even consider driving that far for anything... our time is worth a lot more than that. Especially driving that far after a vacation--it would be so depressing to me!

Then again, with the exception of European cruises, we've always been "fly in the day of" people, so maybe my opinion isn't worth much :)

Thanks. I actually like driving and being able to stop and see things. Plus he hasn't been to several of the states we are going to drive through. I think it's fun. But again when we went to places when I was a kid we always drove

Sent from my iPhone using Forums