Pier 91 and Seattle airport - Uber/Lyft Question

geomancer

I've never once used a rideshare before. And not even a taxi really except in a South Korea.

Is this a simple method of transportation between Pier 91 and the airport in Seattle? Meaning, are there any hoops to jump through? I've tried searching this, but get a lot of older posts and it seems like things change rapidly. For example, Uber's website says you can get picked up in the parking garage, and older posts were saying only certain (expensive) levels of Uber were allowed.

Since the cruise lines charge per passenger, and there are three of us, Uber seems to be the more economical choice (plus it's just us, not a bus load). Do you get hit with "surge" pricing though (particularly from the pier to the airport when everyone leaves the ship at the same time)?

Their estimator says $36-47 each way. I'm not 100% sure how much transfers are, my cruise is too far out to look at booking yet, but I see $27/pp in my searches. Regular taxis seem to be $50-60. Does that sound right?

The FAQ needs to be updated - you now pick up UberX/Lyft inside the parking garage at SeaTac. From the pier, you're picked up just outside the front door.

It is the least-hassle mechanism to get between any two points in the area. I have not been getting surge pricing other than around sports events and late night in the bar zones; it's estimated that there are over 1000 UberX vehicles on the road at any time in Seattle and the lack of surge would indicate the accuracy of the estimate. The zones they use to determine surge pricing are large enough that the cruise traffic usually doesn't affect prices.

I think the price estimator is essentially correct, but run it around 9:30 AM on a Saturday or Sunday to be sure - that rate seems to be allowing for traffic delays. Yellow Cabs are $40 flat-rate but the wait is often longer and the drivers/cars are usually better in Uber/Lyft. The cabs have improved slightly since Uber rolled into town, but not enough to get me back in one ever again.

Thanks for the info.

This particular cruise is a Friday-Friday one, so unfortunately that probably does mean traffic. At least for the Pier->Airport since that will be early in the morning.

I did look at the Yellow Cab website, I thought I had read that the flat-rate zone was only from downtown to the airport (and not the other way), but even so Pier 91 is well outside the zone in the map they show.

Thanks for the info.

This particular cruise is a Friday-Friday one, so unfortunately that probably does mean traffic. At least for the Pier->Airport since that will be early in the morning.

I did look at the Yellow Cab website, I thought I had read that the flat-rate zone was only from downtown to the airport (and not the other way), but even so Pier 91 is well outside the zone in the map they show.

The flat rate fare from Pier 91 to SeaTac Airport via Yellow Cab is $40 for up to 4 people.. There is a sign stating that right by the taxi line once you cross the street in front of the pier terminal building.

Tom

I would actually find cruise season disembarkation to be among the lowest traffic times for a Friday in Seattle - it's after the commute and you're going counterflow - the fastest route from Pier 91 to the airport tends to clog during the evening commute far more than the morning one and usually isn't a problem during work hours.

A cab or Uber is going to be about a wash; Uber drivers get kicked off the platform if their average rating is less than 4.5. Yellow Cab drivers do not have a similar feedback program. Since UberX launched in Seattle several years ago, I haven't gotten in a livery cab over quality and reliability issues. But either one in this case is likely to get you to the airport for $40 +\- in the same amount of time.

We haven't used either Uber or Lyft. I've read so much stuff about both I'm going nuts. I want something simple. Get off the plane, pick up luggage and go. Has anyone used the limo service from the airport. Supposedly you get your luggage and go to the phone banks and call for a limo. They pick you up at baggage claim and you don't have to drag your baggage anywhere. Is this a good service? How does it compare to Uber/Lyft and are the rates good. Like I said, we haven't used Uber/Lyft and just want no hassle to get to a downtown hotel, which is close to Pikes Market.......Then we have to decide how to get to port the next day, which is about 3 miles. Is there always traffic at Pier 91, which is something else we've heard. HELP!!!

We haven't used them yet, but I reserved with SpeediShuttle from SeaTac to the Amtrak station which is pretty close to the pier area. It cost about $32, without tip. I wanted to pre-pay the transportation and have something in place. Their reviews have some issues, but mostly with people who have gotten it through a different vendor, not through speedishuttle itself. You can find their link on the SeaTac website.

I haven't taken a cab in years, and have never used uber or lyft, and felt the speedishuttle was a better deal.

Also, according to the website and the email I received from them, they will meet me at the luggage carousel and take us from there. That way we don't have to search for transportation. We'll just get with them and go.

It is a shared ride service, which I actually don't mind.

I know other folks have mentioned limo services, but I haven't really done that much research on that because that just wasn't something I wanted to pay for.

We are leaving in a few weeks so I will report back when we return in September.

We haven't used them yet, but I reserved with SpeediShuttle from SeaTac to the Amtrak station which is pretty close to the pier area. It cost about $32, without tip. I wanted to pre-pay the transportation and have something in place. Their reviews have some issues, but mostly with people who have gotten it through a different vendor, not through speedishuttle itself. You can find their link on the SeaTac website.

I haven't taken a cab in years, and have never used uber or lyft, and felt the speedishuttle was a better deal.

Also, according to the website and the email I received from them, they will meet me at the luggage carousel and take us from there. That way we don't have to search for transportation. We'll just get with them and go.

It is a shared ride service, which I actually don't mind.

I know other folks have mentioned limo services, but I haven't really done that much research on that because that just wasn't something I wanted to pay for.

We are leaving in a few weeks so I will report back when we return in September.

Thank you for the information. I'm still undecided, but will have to make up our minds because we leave in 2 weeks. I'm happy you've made your decision. :D

I am trying to decide the same for our cruise next year, and where to stay in Seattle (downtown or airport). There is the link light rail which goes from the airport parking garage to right down off pikes place (smith tower) for $3 adult, $1.50 youth, or all the way to westlake center for the same price. Uber pricing from Westlake to Pier 91 is only about $10... we are not traveling with kids so I think that's the cheapest way with a little luggage parading :) The link is not bad but sometimes can be pretty crowded, but you are going at a slower time when everyone is already at work so it shouldn't be too bad

I am trying to decide the same for our cruise next year, and where to stay in Seattle (downtown or airport). There is the link light rail which goes from the airport parking garage to right down off pikes place (smith tower) for $3 adult, $1.50 youth, or all the way to westlake center for the same price. Uber pricing from Westlake to Pier 91 is only about $10... we are not traveling with kids so I think that's the cheapest way with a little luggage parading :) The link is not bad but sometimes can be pretty crowded, but you are going at a slower time when everyone is already at work so it shouldn't be too bad

Light rail is a great option if you don't have a lot of luggage, kids or a hotel that requires hill climbing to get to. Didn't want to chance the hill climbing with luggage with my DH.

We haven't used either Uber or Lyft. I've read so much stuff about both I'm going nuts. I want something simple. Get off the plane, pick up luggage and go. Has anyone used the limo service from the airport. Supposedly you get your luggage and go to the phone banks and call for a limo. They pick you up at baggage claim and you don't have to drag your baggage anywhere. Is this a good service? How does it compare to Uber/Lyft and are the rates good. Like I said, we haven't used Uber/Lyft and just want no hassle to get to a downtown hotel, which is close to Pikes Market.......Then we have to decide how to get to port the next day, which is about 3 miles. Is there always traffic at Pier 91, which is something else we've heard. HELP!!!

I'm using Already There Towncar to get from the airport to Inn at the Market. They quoted me $60 plus tip. I've used them in the past, and their name is appropriate. We got our bags, walked outside, called to let them know which door we were at and the car was there in just a few minutes. I think you can also arrange to have the driver meet you at baggage claim.

I've used Uber in NYC and at home in NJ, even used it in York England. Always been happy with them. I plan to use them from the hotel to the pier. But for the airport pickup I stuck with Already There.

If you use a limo service, the first thing you need to realize is that they will not "pick you up at baggage claim" because they cannot leave their vehicle. What will happen is that they will pick you up over in the POV area which is on the west side (left side as you are standing in front of the terminal facing the bus lot) of the bus lot. You will have to either handle your bags yourself from the luggage hall out to the POV area or get a porter to take them out there. As you walk out to the POV area you will noticed numbers from 1 to 5 or 6 (can't remember for sure) at the top of the poles in the POV area. When your limo arrives he/she will probably call you and let you know the number that he will nearest to so you can find him.

As far as getting to the pier from a downtown hotel, check out Seattle Express and Shuttle Express at the following URLs:

Shuttle Express: https://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Seattle Express: https://seattleexpress.com/tour/cruise-ship-transfers/

Tom

Just back from Seattle. At SeaTac you walk over the pedestrian bridge into the garage and follow the signs to the right to the pick up for Uber - cost to Pier 91 was $47.68 including tip. On return to the port we walked to the taxi line, got in a taxi to the airport for $53.00. Both were very easy.

Just back from Seattle. At SeaTac you walk over the pedestrian bridge into the garage and follow the signs to the right to the pick up for Uber - cost to Pier 91 was $47.68 including tip. On return to the port we walked to the taxi line, got in a taxi to the airport for $53.00. Both were very easy.

If you were a party of 4 or less taking the taxi from Pier 91 to SeaTac and you were charged $53 for the ride, you were overcharged if you were in a Yellow Cab as that is a flat-rate of $40 for that trip. Of course if you were including a $13 tip in that $53, then you were charged correctly. Just for future reference. :)

Hope you had a great cruise and a safe trip to/from home!

Tom