Not good news for BCN this summer

Mr. Click

Why do I keep getting flashbacks to hundreds of posts that basically advise something along the order of:

"Go ahead and book that early flight. You can self-disembark with your luggage and you'll be at the airport in 20 minutes."

(And yes, they weren't just about BCN, but you get the picture)

I agree with Flyer Talker.

I am not big on those flights where the recommendation is "you should make it" (I don't like should and prefer you will), you have to get off first, etc. etc. It leave no room for things that can go wrong. Traffic accident, car breakdown, late arrival, or issues at the airport.

With the new security checks on USA flights and on flights from other countries returning to the USA that alone might increase lines and there will surely be some confusion.

I like to close out a cruise with calmness.

Keith

Here is a link to a related TripAdvisor thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k10729049-Infox_Barcelona_Airport_security_strike-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

I've been trying to help a college student I know on her first trip to Europe, with this potential strike issue.

On her return, she will be coming in from Palma de Mallorca at 6:55am and has a flight to ATL at about 10:30. Given the airlines she is using, it appears she will have to shuttle between terminals at BCN. I referred her to TripAdvisor for specifics on how long the terminal shuffle should take and specifics...but if anyone here has done this at BCN, I'd appreciate any information on logistics.

Hopefully the issue will be settled by the time she returns at the end of the month.

I flew out of Venice a couple weeks ago and ran into extensive delays and long slow lines. The ship debark was also delayed. I had a 12{15p flight and made it with little time to spare. I was very efficient getting off the ship and into my transit to the airport. There were numerous people also near the front of the line like myself, who booked 10{30 and 11:30a flights- NO way did they make them.

Only suggestion is to be very generous with your time when booking.

I flew out of Venice a couple weeks ago and ran into extensive delays and long slow lines. The ship debark was also delayed. I had a 12{15p flight and made it with little time to spare. I was very efficient getting off the ship and into my transit to the airport. There were numerous people also near the front of the line like myself, who booked 10{30 and 11:30a flights- NO way did they make them.

Only suggestion is to be very generous with your time when booking.

I agree.

It's like flying. The more you cruise the more things you can see that can go wrong.

I've seen ships arrive late to port due to weather or a medical emergency.

I've seen disembarkation delayed due to a work slowdown by those from the land based union who take the luggage off the ship.

I've seen delayed disembarkation due to lack of personnel to take the luggage off the ship or by lack of local authority personnel.

I've seen people who can't locate their luggage right away.

I've seen people who get stopped at customs.

Things happen.

And at the airport we've all seen a number of things such as longer then anticipated security lines or even check in lines or just other glitches.

When in doubt I error with lots of extra time. :)

Keith