Advice November Aurora Northern Lights Cruise

P-L-B

The ‘Overnight at the Igloo Hotel’ excursion in Alta is not available during our November Northern Lights Cruise.

The reason as I understand it is that it does not open until Mid-December.

Perhaps just as well as apparently it cost £389.00pp. :eek: :)

Have you seen the price they charge per person if you book direct with the Igloo Hotel approx £250pp which includes some sort of breakfast. Other than the transfer I do not know if P&O include anything else but seems a large price hike even taking into account those that get 10% reduction for Peninsular Club loyalty.

I'm doing this cruise in March (only just booked). Do you have to provide your own cold weather gear and boots etc.? Thanks

Yes - look out for great ski-wear at Aldi and Lidl! And don't forget snow boots or ice grips - I bought the Yaktrax which worked beautifully.

Has anyone done the overnight at the Igloo Hotel..

Would really like to do it but not cheap at £389 each...

You also need to bear in mind that the loos are in a separate wooden building which means a walk outdoors across compacted snow!!

There are two things you should know about the lights to avoid disappointment if/when you get to see them. Both relate to photos you might have seen.

Firstly, the lights do not look anything like as green to the naked eye as they do in photos. This is because of the long exposure used in photos which 'layers' the colour. We also found that many photos seem to have had the colour enhanced considerably.

Secondly, many of the 'videos' on youtube etc are actually 'time lapse' photography, the aurora does not usually 'dance' in the way you might have been led to expect.

If I had not known these facts in advance I think I might have been very disappointed by the reality. As it happens, we were lucky enough to have some really good sightings :)

I can't agree that the lights did not dance to the naked eye. I sat and watched it drift and move exactly as I expected it to. What you can't do is video it. You need a tripod and a camera that will allow long exposures.

Re spending the night in the Ice Hotel................. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Apart from the expense, the bedrooms were very poky and also I agree with happy v in a post above - whiffy!!! Someone told me that was because of reindeer pellets used in the mattresses... smelt like a hamster cage to me lol . AND with having to pop across the courtyard to the loo in the night in very very sub zero temperatures, that makes it a NO No for me. They told us that a lot of people who go to the loo in the night stay over there sleeping on a bench in the warm . It was a fabulous trip to the Ice Hotel and so worthwhile..... but it was nice to come back to a nice warm cabin on the ship to sleep.

I can't agree that the lights did not dance to the naked eye. I sat and watched it drift and move exactly as I expected it to. What you can't do is video it. You need a tripod and a camera that will allow long exposures.

I agree, we had a fantastic display and they did definately dance across the sky. When you watch footage of them they move fast because it's done by time lapse but if you are lucky and you get a really good display you will also see them dancing. We were also told that the naked eye doesn't pick the colours up like a camera does but again that was incorrect, we seen a multitude of colours. Just hoping and praying we get to see them again on the next trip!

Re spending the night in the Ice Hotel................. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Apart from the expense, the bedrooms were very poky and also I agree with happy v in a post above - whiffy!!! Someone told me that was because of reindeer pellets used in the mattresses... smelt like a hamster cage to me lol . AND with having to pop across the courtyard to the loo in the night in very very sub zero temperatures, that makes it a NO No for me. They told us that a lot of people who go to the loo in the night stay over there sleeping on a bench in the warm . It was a fabulous trip to the Ice Hotel and so worthwhile..... but it was nice to come back to a nice warm cabin on the ship to sleep.

Thanks all for the advice ... Think we'll opt for the day trip just to see (and smell) it.

We have spoken to the company direct and they have booked us on their own tour for this November. Carting if no snow, sledging if there is. I suspect much cheaper than p&o would have been, very happy.

I have discussed this option with the family and we would also be interested in booking this tour. (y)

Could you please give me the contact details and location, Tromso or Alta.

Also dates and times available. :)

We have spoken to the company direct and they have booked us on their own tour for this November. Carting if no snow, sledging if there is. I suspect much cheaper than p&o would have been, very happy.

Hi, ModestlySublime

OK, I think I may have found the company online.

Can you please confirm, is this the tour company you have booked?

Holmen Husky Lodge (Alta)

They offer a 2.5Hr Tour Along The Alta River.

Carting if no snow, sledging if there is.

There are two possible dates and various times being offered for the 'In Search of the Northern Lights' on our cruise.

Thursday 16th November 14.00, 19.00, 21.30 and 22.30

Friday 17th November 19.00, 20.00, 21.30 and 22.30

Now, If only I had a Crystal Ball to find out the best day and time for sightings. :D

BTW. Is the 14.00hr tour on the 16th a little early? :confused:

Regarding the availability of buses that are used for this excursion.

I know that for whatever reason you can return earlier than your allocated time but does anyone know if you can stay longer than your allocated time if that makes sense.

Basically, if one went on the 21.30 allocated time slot could you stay and return on a bus during the 22.30 allocated time slot.

I thought I’d read somewhere that this was possible.

I know that for whatever reason you can return earlier than your allocated time but does anyone know if you can stay longer than your allocated time if that makes sense.

Basically, if one went on the 21.30 allocated time slot could you stay and return on a bus during the 22.30 allocated time slot.

Yes. You could take any bus back on my excursion

This is an extract from an email I have just received from our TA regarding their inquiry with P&O about a Dog Sledding excursion being offered during our cruise in November.

P&O CRUISES LTD - R720P

AURORA | 10 November 2017 | 13 Days

Good morning,

I have had a reply from P&O regarding the husky excursions on this sailing;

Hi Olivia,

The shore excursions teams have advised that there will not be the husky sledtour.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to raise on your next support call or email us. Anything urgent whilst we are not here, please contact the Customer Contact Centre.

Regards

Olivia Lowe

Fortunately we have been able to book directly with the same company P&O use.

They offer a Dog carting or Dog Sledding tour(if snow), hopefully we will get an enjoyable experience. :)

We went on this excursion with P&O in March 2016. On that trip, people pretty much choose which bus to return on. We certainly stayed later than the original slot.

Incidentally, the P&O trip from Alta is run by these people: http://www.glodexplorer.no/en/. They actually have pro-photographers on the trip and put pictures up on their separate facebook site from the various cruise excursions they do (https://www.facebook.com/pg/GLODexplorer/photos/?ref=page_internal). We found them excellent, with very helpful guides. We were fortunate enough to have an amazing two hour display, which made the trip worth every penny.