San Juan - issues walking

kathyemma

Sailing on Harmony

Nov 18th - thanksgiving week

I will be in San Juan from 7am to 2pm with my mother. She can NOT walk long distances (and won't use a wheelchair). Is there shopping near the pier? I know in St Maarten they have a golf cart that will drive people from the ship to the stores - is this offered here as well? It has been a few years since we have been to San Juan and I can't remember.

TIA

Kathy

It somewhat depends on where you dock. Here are two screen shots of the port of San Juan. A map shot and satellite shot.

enhance

enhance

When ships make a port call in San Juan, they usually dock where these two ships are today. But when Celebrity and Royal start and end cruises in San Juan, they use the dock in the bottom of the picture, where you see the ship Krydon. I don't know if Harmony docks downtown or at the other (Pan American) pier. Someone on the Royal Caribbean board here could tell you.

If you do dock downtown, the second pictures shows you the dense shopping area - lots of shops. To the right of the oval of shops, where the street curves there are lots of small restaurants and across the street are lots with tables where you can eat al fresco - and rest your feet.

If you want to do a little sightseeing, there is a free HO-HO bus that you can catch if you leave the ship and walk to the left to the next pier. It will take you on a circuit of Old San Juan and you can see the two forts, even if you don't get out to visit.

We sat in the restaurant area and had this view of our ship (MSC Divina):

enhance

EM

The Harmony of the Seas docks at the Pan American Pier and not downtown . There is no golf cart service that I've ever seen nor did my friend (has MS) who was recently there see such a service. All shopping is located in Downtown/ Old San Juan area owhich are not in walking distance from the Pan American Pier. It's about 15 minute taxi ride to the Downtown/Old San Juan area. The best shopping is found in Old San Juan, particularly on Calle Fortaleza between Calle Cristo and Calle Tanca.

FYI there is a Duty Free Shop at the pier located between check-in and security screening.

Edited by xxoocruiser

And the majority (if not all) the streets in the dock area are cobblestone and hard to walk on if she has mobility issues. I use a scooter and was able to travel on most of those streets but it was a very bumpy ride. I too can walk but not very far. I could NEVER have made it from the ship out to the street where the shops begin. It was longer than the entire length of the ship which is about 1000 feet if that gives you any idea how far she will need to be able to walk. And I don't recall seeing a place to sit and rest a moment along the way. There is no golf cart or shuttle there like in other ports.

Also it would be very difficult to push a wheelchair on those cobblestones and up the many hills. The whole area there is hilly. I had to swallow my pride when I needed the scooter but it has made my cruises and other vacations so much better for me and everyone travelling with me.

What kind of scooter do you have?

I have a Pride Victory 10, 3 wheel scooter It will hold a heavier capacity than I need but it will also go longer distances between charges. My specs say distance is about 15 miles but I've never taken it that far between charges. It just barely squeeks in the cabin door but it does make it. I need to get a straight run to get in the doorway. It's been a God send. I also have a lift on my car so I can and have taken it everywhere. At the airport I ride it right to the door of the plane. I can go shopping by myself because of the lift. Have driven it to Florida from Ohio 3 times.

Thank you. Looks like we will hang on the ship that day. There is no way she could walk 1000 feet.However, she is getting a cortisone shot this week - maybe that will help with her walking issue. I hate for her to have to spend all week on the ship.

And the majority (if not all) the streets in the dock area are cobblestone and hard to walk on if she has mobility issues. I use a scooter and was able to travel on most of those streets but it was a very bumpy ride. I too can walk but not very far. I could NEVER have made it from the ship out to the street where the shops begin. It was longer than the entire length of the ship which is about 1000 feet if that gives you any idea how far she will need to be able to walk. And I don't recall seeing a place to sit and rest a moment along the way. There is no golf cart or shuttle there like in other ports.

Also it would be very difficult to push a wheelchair on those cobblestones and up the many hills. The whole area there is hilly. I had to swallow my pride when I needed the scooter but it has made my cruises and other vacations so much better for me and everyone travelling with me.

Harmony of the Seas is a very long ship...1187 ft. Not every deck will be that long, but to get from the front to the back is going to be a long walk for her. How is she going to manage on the ship? EM

Thank you. Looks like we will hang on the ship that day. There is no way she could walk 1000 feet.However, she is getting a cortisone shot this week - maybe that will help with her walking issue. I hate for her to have to spend all week on the ship.

It seems to me that the bigger issue at the moment rather than getting to the shopping area of San Jaun or other ports, the question is just how do you plan to get your mother from venue to venue on the Harmony ? Being that it's one of if not the largest cruise ship,at 1,188 feet everything is going to be quite a walk for your mother . She really needs to bring a wheelchair or rent one from either http://www.Specialneedsatsea.com or http://www.Scootaround.com. There are none available to rent once on board when your mother realizes she can't handle the walking.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH is a big/tall man and he can't walk the 1000 feet without any place to stop and rest. you said that the scooter ride was bumpy.... was it uncomfortable and is there any reason to be concerned that the scooter might tip? Thanks very much for your reply to my questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Earlier this year I was on a British ship, much smaller than yours. I had great difficulty getting from one end of ship to the other, also waiting ages for the lifts (elevators), even with my cane. So I have bought a wheelchair for my next cruise. Walking to the excursion buses at ports was also a big problem.

Why won't your mother use a wheelchair? People of all ages use them, for one reason or another. It just means she is a little less able than others. My mother was the same, she said it made her feel old. Eventually I had to tell her that I wouldn't take her out unless we got one. Made life so much easier for both of us. If you buy one get a lightweight one. My new one only weighs 10.5 kgs and folds to a few inches wide. I can lift it into my car.

Hi

Old San Juan works well if someone is using a wheelchair. They have a free shuttle bus service. They would just need to be able to step up onto the bus.

San Juan port is at the bottom of a hill. It is uphill if you want to go into the shopping areas. Taking the shuttle to the El Morro fort will get you to the top of the hill. After seeing the fort you can decide if you will be able to push some one down the hill, or wait for the next bus to go to another stop. Information on the shuttle can be found online.

It is bumpy and quite a workout. I did push my wife up the hill, the first time we visited. We took the shuttle the second time. Don't forget sunscreen and a hat.

An other fun, easy option (no hills) is to take the ferry and visit the Bacardi museum. Info can be found online as well as the port of call threads.

hope this helps