Ba 747-400

klfrodo

Anybody have information regarding if or when BA plans to phase out their 747-400's?

Looking at equipment SEA - LHR or LAS - LHR.

I'm getting ready to book award flights through my AS account. I've got miles out the wazzu to use.

I would rather book F on a 787-900, but my heart wants to experience Business in the upper deck of a 47 before they go to the graveyard.

However, my luck would be that I book the upper cabin only to have equipment change due to scheduled retirement. (Would be disappoint for any equipment change due to mechanical) but would rather not book at all if it's a known phase out of retirement.

I don't think BA have any imminent plans to withdraw anymore 744s. However, they can be fairly fluid with the equipment swaps on many US routes. I've had some 744s go to 772s and vice versa but usually at least several months before travel. You are very unlikely to see BA swap a 744 for 772 because of a technical issue.

AFAIK, the 789 doesn't operate on, and there are no plans to introduce it on SEA or LAS.

I don't think BA have any imminent plans to withdraw anymore 744s. However, they can be fairly fluid with the equipment swaps on many US routes. I've had some 744s go to 772s and vice versa but usually at least several months before travel. You are very unlikely to see BA swap a 744 for 772 because of a technical issue.

AFAIK, the 789 doesn't operate on, and there are no plans to introduce it on SEA or LAS.

Thank you

I think your best bet for the 744 is LAS but BA has no immediate plans to start sending the 744 out of the fleet. Aircraft swaps happen often and its hard to know their plans more than a few months out though.

The upper deck on the 744s is nice if you can get 62A/K or 64A/K; otherwise I'd not worry too much about it. I think BA's business product is getting a bit outdated.

One consideration might be flying (maybe in F suites) on the A380 from YVR instead. You might have an easier time finding seats than trying for rows 62 or 64 out of SEA; there are too many BA elites (thanks, Microsoft) that fly on paid tickets and who get first dibs on the best seats anyway.

One consideration might be flying (maybe in F suites) on the A380 from YVR instead. You might have an easier time finding seats than trying for rows 62 or 64 out of SEA; there are too many BA elites (thanks, Microsoft) that fly on paid tickets and who get first dibs on the best seats anyway.

Hadn't even thought of that but that would be quite the opportunity.

Today is the first days that seats have opened. Flying to AMS on July 10, 2018 for arrival in AMS on the 11th.

No seats available yet in business or first from the SEA - LHR or YVR - LHR yet.

We've flown on the UD of BA's 747, as well as UA.

We are not fans of the seat configuration of BA business class, so we'd not go out of our way to fly BA unless the routing was significantly better than other options. That being said, if you've never flown on the UD of a 747, might be a good opportunity before they are all retired.

It's been several years since we flew, but as I recall, I had to pay an extra seat fee in order to select an UD seat. And yes, it was paid J tickets.