Caribbean cruise & Zika

ahoythere007

Due to head out on the Britannia in October to Caribbean and quite concerned about Zika. Apart from taking sensible measures (Deet 50, covering up etc) would anyone recommend doing anything else or even avoiding any types of excursions/locations? Has anyone been out there recently and can share how seriously the risk is being taken there? Any thoughts welcome :)

We didn't notice much precaution during our last visit.

It's only a concern for those who are are pregnant or are likely to conceive within 6 months. Just catching Zika is not a big issue (as far as we know).

Edited by uk338

We didn't notice much precaution during our last visit.

It's only a concern for those who are are pregnant or are likely to conceive within 6 months. Just catching Zika is not a big issue (as far as we know).

We spend about 8 days in that part of the world a couple of months back. Didn't see/hear one mozzie. We did put insect repellant on just in case though. As another poster said - most mozzies come out at dusk and by then you are normally back on the ship.

mummsie

Check out the Fit for Travel NHS site for advice, it does say that the mosquitos that carry Zika are the ones active in the day (if I remember rightly).

I will be taking Incognito Spray and Handy Roll-on one to carry in the day, but will also get some of the wipes from Boots with DEET in as the incognito doesn't have it. I've also seen the wrist bands - I've rather go over the top than take the risk of being bitten. But having never been to the Caribbean I don't know what to expect!

As of 2nd August, the number of diagnosed Zika cases in the UK for 2017 is 14. 9 were from travel to Caribbean but the high percentage shouldn't be surprising as it is a popular travel destination.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/zika-virus-epidemiology-and-cases-diagnosed-in-the-uk/zika-virus-epidemiology-and-cases-diagnosed-in-the-uk

In 2016, the number for the Caribbean was 208 so it appears to have significantly fallen but there is still 5 months to go before the full 2017 picture is known.

Personally, I think taking sensible precautions is sufficient.