Newbie question -

azcruise

We are taking our 1st Windstar cruise in November on the Star Breeze - 28 days, so buying the beverage package would be nearly as much as the cruise fare!! We enjoy wine, and were wondering if WS has a wine package - we just did an 18 day on Holland, and they offered a package that let you choose 7 bottles from a list for $199 (plus 15%), which averaged cheaper than most of the bottles. Does WS offer something similar, or do we just buy a bottle or glass at a time?

Thank you for any information, I did a search and didn't seem to find anything from the last 3 years.

Wine price on board are not bad. 30$-40$ range. Mostly Californian but some european too,

You can bring 2 bottles on board. The corking fee is 15$ or you can have it in your room. There is a corkscrew in the room.

We took the Breeze for 9 days in 2015. I think they may have had a wine package, but I believe you they might only offer that on board. The alcohol package only includes glasses of wine and champagne. We opted out and went with pay as you go because we are fairly moderate drinkers. You would really have to drink all day every day to justify the cost.

We are taking our 1st Windstar cruise in November on the Star Breeze - 28 days, so buying the beverage package would be nearly as much as the cruise fare!! We enjoy wine, and were wondering if WS has a wine package - we just did an 18 day on Holland, and they offered a package that let you choose 7 bottles from a list for $199 (plus 15%), which averaged cheaper than most of the bottles. Does WS offer something similar, or do we just buy a bottle or glass at a time?

Thank you for any information, I did a search and didn't seem to find anything from the last 3 years.

There is no "wine only" package. Wines by the glass are reasonable as is wine by the bottle. Bottles can be left in dining room with your cabin number and you can pick up where you left off. Also you can take it back to the cabin or bring an opened bottle from room service to dinner. Beginning of cruise you can bring 2 bottles onboard. On long sailing like yours they will be more liberal. We were on for over 2 weeks and brought wine on that we purchased in Spain and Portugal with no problem. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How does the beverage package work at the bars/restaurants? Do you order your drink, give them your room card, which they scan and determine you have already paid?

Do the waiters and bartenders quickly learn who has the package to speed up the process?

Am I still expected to tip?

My wife & I vacation on "vacation time". We sleep late, go the gym, then usually have to order room service because we missed breakfast. We take our time in the room having several drinks. Will we have to order room service for every refill (mimosas or sparkling wine with "breakfast", of course).

With drink package you just sign at the bar. Non drink package 15% is automatically added and you sign. Simple. Bartenders will know you after one drink. If you order drinks for breakfast in the cabin just order multiples. You might find you love having breakfast on deck though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sb44, thanks for the quick and great reply.

I do hope to dine as much as possible on the deck. My favorite part of past cruising is dining outside...morning, day or night.

I think we are leaning toward the bev package and glad to know we can order multiples. Not that we will overdo it, we are just generally slow moving and take our time on vacation, which lends to multiples.

With the drink package you don't sign anything. You order a drink and it's brought to you with no receipt. You can order only one drink at a time. There is a small bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin refrigerator.

Tip is included, and they will know how you are and what you like to drink after the first day.

6rugrats, thanks for the information.

I am not surprised by the one at time limit; they don't want me ordering drinks for everyone. Does that apply to room service as well? I assume it does.

Do they refresh the small bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge when it is emptied? Could I call room service for another one? How quick is room service if you just order a glass or wine or champagne?

How the waiter and bar staff know who has the package? I like the idea of no receipt. I would like it to be like on the SS, Regent and Crystal cruises I have been on, or at least as close as possible for me and my wife.

You have a colored sticker on your card that means you have the drink package. They will know after the first day.

Yes, anything you drink from the minibar will be replenished and if you request additional items, they will be stocked. Just leave a note or ask your room steward.

I never ordered a drink from room service. Time for room service delivery varies depending how busy they are, but your refrigerator is well stocked, and with the package, you may have anything there.

Windstar really tries to keep you happy, so if you want something, just ask.

You can ask to have your refrigerator stocked with your choice of drinks. I often leave a note in there asking for which drinks we want in multiples.

And just to confirm...we can do this with the beverage package and it is all included with that package; there is no separate cost for what is stocked in the fridge (assuming we don't special order something not normally stocked).

I am hoping I can just have water and sparkling wine mostly.