Port visits, many now departing 9pm or later

barriead

Well if you do not understand what I am saying then don't reply. The speed is determined by how far there is to sail. Quite simply. That is determined by the planners 3 or more years in advance. They determine the speed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the ships navigating officer might take issue with you on that point Dai.

and on a similar vein, my cruise says "less than 100 cabins available" in three different grades, but when you try a booking, there are 2 balconies, 3 outsides and insides have none but show guarantee cabins. So less than 100 is rather misleading!

No Dai your comment was that the ships speed between ports was dictated by distance only and had nothing to do with economics.

And, of course John, as you and I both know, the speed the ship travels is also determined by the time that the ship leaves the preceding port. The earlier they leave, the slower they need to go. Average speed = distance travelled divided by time allowed. But I learnt on a previous thread, when explaining why passengers would benefit if loyalty discount was applied prior to the use of on board credit, that some on here have a problem with maths! ;)

Just heard from P&O on Facebook that the half moon symbol on my cruise means that the ship leaves at 6pm or later! So I have pointed out that the website says 9pm or later :-)

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't see that P&O would suddenly move from comparatively early departure times to very late ones. 6pm, whilst not late, is an improvement from the increasingly early departures that we have had in recent years (we seem to have had a few 'back on board by 4.30pm' on the last few cruises) and gets it closer to what we enjoyed when we first cruised with P&O, when 6 or 7pm departure was normal.

Just heard from P&O on Facebook that the half moon symbol on my cruise means that the ship leaves at 6pm or later! So I have pointed out that the website says 9pm or later :-)

I think that ours is now of a Mystery Tour / Cruise - you know which ports you're going to on the cruise, not necessarily in which order though, but they will be guaranteed that the ship will leave a port at some point :-) :D

Off to pack now -----------------

P&O have confirmed that Oriana will depart Civitavecchia at 7pm, so that was one of the ones that had a crescent moon! They are going to look into why all these ports say 9pm!

Even 7pm is good...anything to stop the usual afternoon rush...but 9pm or later would be even better imho, I sort of guess they will come back with something along the lines of:

"All timings are subject to change for operational purposes".....hopefully one of those purposes does not include "so we can get more money from you at the bar":evilsmile::)