I would like some more information on Vista Suites

Caroldoll

We have had to take a Vista Suite in the Caribbean over the holidays, and although we have moved up the waitlist, we are still number 2. It is doubtful whether we will make it to the OS.

This particular cruise on The Riviera has a lot of sea days. I am quite spoiled as I like the stern OS as it is the full stern and I can catch sun any time.

I understand that it is not possible to use the deck on the Vista Suite when the ship is underway? Is this true? It is somewhat possible in the Caribbean in good weather?

Final payment isn't until September. I am not sure what to do. I guess I wish someone on this board who has had a Vista Suite will tell me that it can be used under way????

We have had to take a Vista Suite in the Caribbean over the holidays, and although we have moved up the waitlist, we are still number 2. It is doubtful whether we will make it to the OS.

This particular cruise on The Riviera has a lot of sea days. I am quite spoiled as I like the stern OS as it is the full stern and I can catch sun any time.

I understand that it is not possible to use the deck on the Vista Suite when the ship is underway? Is this true? It is somewhat possible in the Caribbean in good weather?

Final payment isn't until September. I am not sure what to do. I guess I wish someone on this board who has had a Vista Suite will tell me that it can be used under way????

Hi Carol,

We had the Vista Suite on Regatta for Alaska, not on the Riviera.

It is not possible to use the deck when underway and typically they tie down the deck furniture. It can be a rough ride up front, but the views are worth it (at least in Alaska).

You are also a bit more exposed when up front because the crew can sometimes be working on the deck right in front of you. Not sure you would enjoy that aspect while sunbathing. The Aft OS are perfect and I would choose those anytime. Not sure about the Vista and would depend on destination.

We had the two Vista suites and the two cabins between them with our kids and grandchildren on the Riviera in the Caribbean . Yes it is true that you can NOT use the outside deck area while moving, and when in port and sitting down outside, you have a white steel wall in front of you with no view at all. We only used the deck area to go from suite to suite as they removed part of the partitions.

We much prefer the Oceania suite.

Edited by dlouise

Bit of a damper for you. We are on Marina,South Pacific next year and have a lot of sea days.I would have loved a Vista suite,up front,big balcony,with its own gym,but after consideration of the already mentioned negatives,we opted for a Oceania suite,not at the back.We would have loved an aft suite but not under the Terrace.Im fussy about noise.So far I haven't seen any negatives about these suites so am hoping for the best.Sadly, I have told my agent not to accept an upsell for a vista suite.This trip is expensive for us but its a double celebration,so need to get it right.

I hope you get what is best for you and happy sailing.

We had friends in the Vista suite, we had the Owners Suite---hand down the Owners Suite. Also if you open a door to the outside in the Vista Suite at the same time someone opens the hall door----lots of wind. Also we had a "O" suite in the back of the ship----no sounds from the grill, great suite.

OMG. You are probably right. I will have to cancel my Vista Suite in stead of an Oceania Suite, or not go. Thank you all so much.

I think you could potentially survive sailing in an Oceania Suite for once - just maybe, but I can't be sure. :D

Well here is a different prospective - we had a Vista Suite on Marina from Papeete to New York and we were able to use the balcony while underway - I spent many a day out there enjoying the sun! There were maybe 2 or 3 days when it was not possible due to rain, but every day the housekeeping team would come and untie the furniture and lay it out for us. It can be windy but with the solid balcony wall and the partitions you can easily find a sheltered spot to lie or sit down and enjoy the view. It may depend on which deck you are on as the higher you go the balcony wraps around the side (I'm thinking of deck 9 which has a larger balcony but it's slightly smaller inside the suite) so that may offer more choice for spots to sit outside.

As for being disturbed by the crew or being viewed by them - not at all and we were on deck 8! We heard the anchor of course but that only reinforced we were on a ship! ;) We could be seen by the bridge if we stood right at the balcony rail - if they were that interested in looking at us!!! LOL!

The views are incredible and I would just like to say I had initial concerns about being at the front of the ship with potentially lots of movement as I am not a good sailor at all as a few years ago we had visited with friends who were in a Vista on a transatlantic and it was bouncing around the evening we were there. But after a short week cruise in the Med in a Vista (and the Med can be a choppy bouncy sea), we booked the longer trip and I had no issues whatsoever - and we had a couple of real "rock and roll" days! But we can't depend on what the weather or the seas can be so maybe we were lucky! Or I'm turning into a better sailor than I was! Ha ha!

Caroldoll, enjoy your cruise whichever suite you choose! :D

Thanks for all your comments. Because of a good TA, we were able to get an Oceania Suite 12007. I think this will be better as I am sure now I can use it underway. I hope there are some good comments on this one???? I could not stand to have a non-see through balcony. Maybe the Good Lord will look kindly on me and I can have an OS. We are still on waitlist for that, but are second. I don't feel that we have a chance, but you never know.

Carolldoll - After our cruise in the Oceania Suite 12007 we did a trans Atlantic in the Owners Suite on deck 8. Looking back on both cruises I have to say you will find the Oceania suite small. BUT the balcony isn't that bad. Of course it is only one balcony, not two but my "gripe" about the Owners Suite balcony was that there is so much furniture on it you cannot move around it. I felt like asking them to take half of it away. (but didn't!)

I shall keep my fingers crossed that your wait list is cleared... but I am sure you will like the Oceania Suite. We are in fact booked in one for our November 17 Mediterrean cruise. Not 12007 - but 12008!

Jackie - thanks! Your opinion means a lot. If you loved it I am sure I shall too!

Balcony when underway is not really an issue for our up-coming cruise - very port intensive and in the Med. in November so when we sail each day it will be dark anyway... but IF we get some nice days, which is possible considering we will be going south as far as Malta, since we won't be sightseeing all day hopefully we can use the balcony when in port.

Gerry

We've done four Vista suite cruises on Riviera, all on deck 8. Square footage wise, the deck 8 suites are the largest but have the smallest balcony. The deck 9 Vistas are the smallest interior square footage and it also has a pole in the middle of the living area.

The other problem is that you cannot have your drapes open at night if you have the lights on in the suite. It has something to do with the navigation bridge.

We've never been able to use our balcony when the ship is in motion. They tightly secured all the furniture so there's no place to sit. And the wind is very strong when in motion. But we love the Vista suites.

The other problem is that you cannot have your drapes open at night if you have the lights on in the suite. It has something to do with the navigation bridge.

Everyone seems to be confused by this, but I don't know why. The reasoning is the same as why you wouldn't have the interior lights on in a car while it is in motion after dark.

superbrightleds-led-interior-e1429211185393.jpg

Makes it harder to see, and nobody wants that -

Collision.jpg

My TA told me that the deck 9 Vista suites were the largest - and if you look at the deck plans this certainly seems to be the case. Plus I have seen a video of Vista suite 901 and did not see any pole in the sitting room... Deck 8 has two small cabins between the two Vista suites...not the case on 9. TravelCat or Jimand Stan - any comments?

My TA told me that the deck 9 Vista suites were the largest - and if you look at the deck plans this certainly seems to be the case. Plus I have seen a video of Vista suite 901 and did not see any pole in the sitting room... Deck 8 has two small cabins between the two Vista suites...not the case on 9. TravelCat or Jimand Stan - any comments?

If you're looking at the video on YouTube freeze it at :17 seconds. The pole is definitely there.

OK - I did that. And it isn't a "pole" it is a column and since there is a division anyway between the sitting and dining areas it doesn't bother me. PH suites on Regent's Marina have a similiar thing...

Pole, column........all a matter of semantics. I can see how Kitty wouldn't like it as it's an obstruction in the room.

Me, I'd just be happy to be there.

Deck 8 has the largest inside space with smaller veranda but still huge! The verandah ends with the outside bath (J and S can you please repost a lovely photo I took of the suite off the south of France which shows the veranda on 8003 )

Deck 9 is smaller inside with the column behind the console table and has a slightly different layout but has a much larger veranda which also goes around the side of the ship (large enough at the side for the table and chairs and loungers if you wished) so more choice for sitting out of the wind, or larger cocktail parties! ;):D

Deck 12 we visited and it was a similar layout to deck 9 inside but seemed smaller - the furniture was placed differently.

We did the Vista "which deck" decision making when we stayed on deck 8 and were looking to book another trip - our upstairs neighbours on deck 9 were happy to show us their Vista and they were keen to see ours! We decided on deck 8 due to more internal space as we liked the layout and we preferred not to have the column. There are smaller staterooms between the deck 8 Vistas which have interconnecting doors (in the dining area of the Vista) but we never heard any noise from our neighbours.