Solar Eclipse Photography

If I remember correctly, at that 2012 eclipse I stacked 3 ND's that amounted to about 14 and it worked well. I still used the view screen rather than the eye piece, but they came out great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, might want to verify before the big event...

fcKTVe6weBmnlNYoTkpDmhXhN_wlKzk05_0aaPRCVcBGDGYfrTFTf4ugpHRVZFyi9HbLsrDabdaEKsJ4DYNfEF7WJ9_0Fm--Jh7pFgH4ETWqmxAYvNpMbdrze7qWwzB-Rxh8x1ikqoVH4eqWfRiShJbOS2529V0x5E6NFncbpzmjS53MbS8V_CmtqwJYR6FU_p433OfXNghQ99fj6e31x5GVMB4UAHrkh-HgyK-0pVZgSeYbMgh68GnX_yoyXcZw2CyEZJz2DPNgj9IYwVelRyCbGnVgjAVyYbAM_TAJkQkS_q8J8IGO3kJ66dekODfPldVk6tfOgTNo9opQj2TOLaowIvoLth2U7A4z72wQ74nNpfLJjxTbZ3ETrY4bWNXD096moFSsrzFVEZXfkEp1BKWYN4gglhYZyDp3_Vn-bwVRvIS2eykwyaWOz7bbAx-gSwhuj9NlX1qf5WfIKSAgmK-1EYYb4UiWyeE3PQlEi91x8XqhR4ep4lrDUNFwszyRmIgxtUDftkevb2eI50IPyU7ljmpZeef9li9h2BcDsT4yg3az4dXQP18Un-WrXdrWjjVyzfCLOWV8jyJ6PXlivd10RzfukNuMSXROzNHoWiU=w579-h504-no

This was a Venus transit from 2012, it was the stack of ND's I noted earlier, but the EXIF says I was at ISO 100, F32, and 1/4000. And it barely worked. (Couldn't find my eclipse pics right off the bat).

Your mileage may very...:)

In early November 2013, we were on a TA aboard the Celebrity Infinity, literally in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean during a near-total eclipse. I had brought a solar filter along for my Nikon D7000; below are a couple of the images I took. Since I was new to eclipse photography and there were no landmarks around, it did not occur to me to look for shadows and other interesting possibilities. I did later see a photo taken by a fellow cruiser showing a shadow of the eclipse on a bulkhead, which was quite interesting. So yes, do have a second camera without a filter, and keep your eye open for shadows another interesting images.

enhance

enhance

PS This is my first time posting photos using Shutterfly since Photobucket decided to hold my posting hostage for a $400/year fee. Glad Shutterfly is working for this. :)

Does anyone have any great links for the eclipse?

Here's a few I've found:

a good description of what you will see: http://www.mreclipse.com/Totality3/TotalityCh01.html

maps and other information: http://www.mreclipse.com/

how to photograph eclipse: http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

This is a pretty good interactive page that will give you an idea of what to expect from your particular zip code.

• 2 weeks later...

Fate - what a guy!

I just found out I'm flying out for training Monday morning - eclipse day. So much for a long lunch with the telescope...

The training is in Birmingham, AL - only 155 miles south of 100%!

I'll (should) be on the ground by noon local time, with max eclipse (approx. 92%) happening at 1:30 local time.

Current long range forecast is 50/50 - partly cloudy with building thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Not sure what I'll wind up doing, but most likely will be the stack of filters and my phone - going to test it tomorrow and see what that looks like.

I decided that I wanted to see the eclipse, and my adult son is going with me.

We're shooting with Nikon D7000, D7200, D5500 and a few point and shoots. We ordered the Thousand Oaks film and a step up ring for my 50mm lens, and will be making cardboard lens filters for the bigger lenses that will be on tripods.

We'll be in Orangeburg SC for the eclipse, staying in Georgia the night before.

Edited by dreadpirate3
Adding location info

Interesting thread.

We're in Columbia, SC and will have a total 100% eclipse.

Being told not to even try to take pictures of the event .... :confused:

I wonder what their reasoning is? I guess maybe they're concerned that someone with little photographic or astronomical knowledge would point their DSLR at the sun and fry a hole in their retina.

Lots of articles popping up with good info on shooting the eclipse:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3381212233/6-useful-guides-to-photographing-the-solar-eclipse

Dave

I wonder what their reasoning is? I guess maybe they're concerned that someone with little photographic or astronomical knowledge would point their DSLR at the sun and fry a hole in their retina.

Lots of articles popping up with good info on shooting the eclipse:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3381212233/6-useful-guides-to-photographing-the-solar-eclipse

Dave

Dave ... Think you are absolutely right ... they're just trying warn folks it's better to let the pros do it for you. (y)

Yes, I'm a bit put off by someone who tells me not to try to take a photo because they can do it better. That's not the point, I want to learn how to do it properly so I can take my own darn photo!

Vic

Like the tourist venues that don't allow photography "to preserve the sanctity" or "protect such and such from the harmful effects of flash" but will sell you a package of prints for a hefty fee.

I have my schedule planned out. I'm going to shoot a series of shots during the ramp-up spaced about 10 minutes apart, shortening it to about a 5 minute spacing as totality approaches. When totality hits, I will be rapidly removing the solar filter from the long lens camera to try for corona shots and landscape shots with the dark sun and stars with the other camera. (Picture in head of novice juggling flaming torches.)

IF THERE ARE NO CLOUDS!

Oh... I will NOT stare at the sun!

Dave

Any idea if using two ND filters to get to 16 - 18 stop reduction will work, and be safe?

Ken

According to everything I have read ND filters are never adequate. There is a chance that your equipment is damage and a pretty high risk that your eyes will suffer permanent damage.

Like the tourist venues that don't allow photography "to preserve the sanctity" or "protect such and such from the harmful effects of flash" but will sell you a package of prints for a hefty fee.

I have my schedule planned out. I'm going to shoot a series of shots during the ramp-up spaced about 10 minutes apart, shortening it to about a 5 minute spacing as totality approaches. When totality hits, I will be rapidly removing the solar filter from the long lens camera to try for corona shots and landscape shots with the dark sun and stars with the other camera. (Picture in head of novice juggling flaming torches.)

IF THERE ARE NO CLOUDS!

Oh... I will NOT stare at the sun!

Dave

As long as you're not going near the beach the weather forecast is looking better. What is that saying?

"Man plans, God laughs".

Vic

Better to juggle flaming torches than chain saws.....but I know exactly what you are saying Dave. In that two minute window you need 3 cameras and tripods......

And if I had three, I'd need four... :)

Hoping for the best!

Dave

A quick handheld test.

ISO200 - F/7.1 - 1/250s - 280mm (420mm equivalent)

p2472885323-5.jpg

No real tools with me here to enhance but sunspots are visible at 9:00 about halfway out.

Getting tingly!

Dave

I'm heading to Harbor Freight and look for a welding helmet insert to take to Alabama for the cellphone - see if that works. Filter stack too bulky and prelim tests with the phone weren't encouraging.

Test looks great Dave, beautiful filter,

I'm heading to Harbor Freight and look for a welding helmet insert to take to Alabama for the cellphone - see if that works. Filter stack too bulky and prelim tests with the phone weren't encouraging.

Test looks great Dave, beautiful filter,

Check with your phone manufacturer, some of them claim that no filter is needed and that no harm is done to the phone. I'm not sure that I buy it, but I have an old iPhone that is just sitting around and I may try it on that. If the camera or the phone gets ruined, its not loss for me.

I grabbed this one this afternoon with a Canon SX50HS. It was hand held. ISO 200 f8.0 1/200 It was zoomed out to 1600 mm equivalent.

36580995611_0c89b37391_z.jpg

Would have had more but mother nature didn't want to cooperate when we had 96% coverage

Here's a shot from Florida - we only had 81% coverage and I had no solar filters - I just used my 100-400mm lens with a 1.4X TC for 560mm, stopped down to F45, ISO100, and 1/4000 shutter speed, plus an assist from some clouds. Unfortunately I have no editing or photo software available to me until I get home, so this is a dirty resize using Windows 10's default viewing tool:

original.jpg

Today was proof that no plan survives first contact with the enemy!

Planning went right out the window as soon as the Moon started to pass in front of the Sun.

Nikon D810 on a tripod-----Sun was to high in the sky to track. Filters made it too dark to correct at the nearly 90 degree angle.

So out comes the point and shoot Canon SX730SH and hand hold the $2.00 solar glasses to the lens.

35910620983_7dcf72bc10_b.jpg

36324647440_fa49a707e3_b.jpg

36550375162_f8d6072733_b.jpg

36581129511_4840e95a4a_b.jpg

And then this happened.

36581233751_07645a72f6_b.jpg