July 7th and 8th 2017 Whats Going On??

funat55

Is there something I don't know about happening in New Orleans next year. I tried to book at the Embassy Suites and the web sites say "sold out". I mean every web site you've heard of. I am curious. We are a family of five so I really wanted to stay there and not have to get two rooms. Any thoughts??

I thought the Essence Festival was later in the month. I tried to do a mock booking at Harrahs today and their web site also said sold out. Hmmmm, am I trying to book too far in advance? I guess I could always call the hotel and ask. I just thought someone on CC would know and suggest another venue that can accommodate a large family. Much more fun talking to you guys then the person who answers the phone at the hotel. I've been looking at Homewood Suites and Bluegreen Vacations Club. I am trying to avoid paying in advance and I am also looking for free cancellation.

Simple google search would've shown it's the Essence Festival. Every single year for almost 30 years it's been the week of 4th of July.

Try booking.com for other options in the Garden District or Metairie.

Thank you. I had never heard of the Essence Festival. I looked it up and the dates said June 30 to July 4. I'm not coming until July 7th, three days after the festival. I'll keep looking for a family friendly venue.

Really? Well, then must be the leftover tourists from the Festival that are staying through the weekend. I always thought they had them the weekend after the 4th unless it fell on a Monday but I guess Tuesday is also early in the week.

I've been to the Festival 4 times but the last time I went, I thought it was way too crowded. I want to go for the Jazz Festival. Getting too old for the wild parties lol

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by trixiegal

Thanks for the reply Trixiegal. I booked a two bedroom suite at the Homewood Suites for our group of five. There will be plenty of room for all of us and free breakfast too. The rate was $271 per night which isn't too bad when you consider that our other option was to get two rooms. We all like Jazz so I'm sure we will be looking for a fun place to go and listen to the music.

• 4 months later...
Really? Well, then must be the leftover tourists from the Festival that are staying through the weekend. I always thought they had them the weekend after the 4th unless it fell on a Monday but I guess Tuesday is also early in the week.

I've been to the Festival 4 times but the last time I went, I thought it was way too crowded. I want to go for the Jazz Festival. Getting too old for the wild parties lol

If you think Essence Festival has crowds/parties wait till you see the tidal wave of people for Jazz Fest which brings in four times the visitors. If you really want a more low key festival then try French Quarter Festival which is enjoys much milder temps due to the timing it is also more catered to a local crowd so won't be so overrun with tourists.

It most be some type of special event that does not happen every year. In New Orleans, the summertime is the tourism slow time. The only things that I know off that happen every year during the summer time is Essence Fest (June 29 to July 2) and Southern Decadence (Labor Day Weekend).

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the reply Trixiegal. I booked a two bedroom suite at the Homewood Suites for our group of five. There will be plenty of room for all of us and free breakfast too. The rate was $271 per night which isn't too bad when you consider that our other option was to get two rooms. We all like Jazz so I'm sure we will be looking for a fun place to go and listen to the music.

What was your opinion about the location? I am hoping that the family can handle the walk over to The French Quarter and over to the aquarium.