Divina 8/5/17 Sailing Yacht Club review

sanbixby

Yes there is a hairdryer. Oddly enough, it was not in the bathroom but in the drawer of the desk (as you look at the room photo I posted, it is on the right side just past the bed.)

It is attached to the drawer so I had to sit on the provided stool and dry my hair. It did a good enough job for me NOT to pack a dryer if I go again. But I do have shorter hair (thick but short).

Hope this helps.

I know this is an odd question but how long is the cord? I am tall and have bad knees. The stool would be a nightmare. Would I be able to stand and dry my hair?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know this is an odd question but how long is the cord? I am tall and have bad knees. The stool would be a nightmare. Would I be able to stand and dry my hair?

The cord is stretched fully when I stand to dry my hair - and I'm 5'2".

Thank you for this review. Very well written and organized and we appreciate that. MSC seems to have something special going with Yacht Club in general and it seems Divina specifically.

Here's hoping they don't frack it up before I get a chance to try it!

Thanks Bea, You are always helpful. Can you give me an idea where the stairs are? Stairways, and which elevators, go where, are confusing on the deck plans.

Mark

The stairs from deck 16 to 18 are on the port side across from 16019. These are the stairs you see on the deck plan for deck 18 midway back port side.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

It's not the most flexible of cords either, its coiled but isn't very stretchy. Oh and the hairdryer has all the power of an out of breath gnat..:')

If you've got long hair and want to style it properly I'd take your own.

Great review, and exactly the same what we have experienced during the same cruise! We also went the 5th of August and also booked MSC Yacht Club. In one word: FANTASTIC!

I didn't register on CruiseCritic before we went cruising, but seeing reviews of the same cruise we've made triggered me to register and follow this board as of now.

This MSC cruise was our first and definitely not our last! Our 2 kids (16 and 18 y/o) were totally flabbergasted and had a very good time during this 8 day Caribbean Cruise

We are planning to do our next Cruise on the MSC Seaside and looking forward to all experiences when it starts sailing.

Edited by Mitico

But that was my point, I don't think you'll have to. I'm 5'8"and had no problem at all. Maybe I pulled it a little more to do the back of my hair, but it was fine. Good luck!

Oh, no ! Thank goodness for this forum! Will have to hunch over and use their dryer. This is a silly "first world problem."

What a great review you wrote, and I agree with all of your observations!! Not being very experienced cruisers ourselves, I seriously wonder if we could ever cruise again NOT cruising Yacht Club. I fear we have been spoilt for life now. ;)

Thanks again, many useful tips and good observations.

Havin said and read all that, there are not many sockets or outlets in the room and we were very happy that we brought our power strip so that all devices could be charged. And yes I also used the hairdryer in the room.

Okay, I see.... Didn't know there was a difference in sockets for hairdryer use, my bad. :rolleyes:

Yeah .............. no problem. :) The socket is for razors so is very low voltage - not enough to power a hairdryer so I discounted it and realised that after I posted. So, really, my bad! :o

Love your avatar, bytheway!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this great review, Sanbixby.

MSC (and Yacht Club) will be a new experience for us later this year, so every little tidbit we can lap up gets us even more excited. I've been reading Divina reviews to my husband when he gets home after work!

One question: what was the norm, both in the YC and around the ship, concerning getting drinks at the bars and in restaurants? Did people tend to cash tip as they ordered? Were there receipts or chits to sign with each order? In the YC, did people tend to tip extra to those working in that area? And, if they do, was it as the cruise went along, or at the end?

Thanks again for the review, to you and all others who have helped those of us who are waiting with bated breath for our first, or next, cruise with MSC!

One question: what was the norm, both in the YC and around the ship, concerning getting drinks at the bars and in restaurants? Did people tend to cash tip as they ordered? Were there receipts or chits to sign with each order? In the YC, did people tend to tip extra to those working in that area? And, if they do, was it as the cruise went along, or at the end?

That are 5 questions, but I can try to answer them too for you ;)

As a YC member you can drink everywhere on the ship, just show them your cabincard. We were told not to tip seperate because every day your board account is charged for service fee (12,50 USD per person). You are free to tip anyone you want, we gave the young guy some tip because he was cleaning the hallway from our rooms the whole day, including our cabin 2 times a day!

Nobody asked for a tip, only when checking in at the cruisterminal in Miami there was a rude person that persisted in getting tips and was waving with a pile of dollarbills when we entered the ship.

One question: what was the norm, both in the YC and around the ship, concerning getting drinks at the bars and in restaurants? Did people tend to cash tip as they ordered? Were there receipts or chits to sign with each order? In the YC, did people tend to tip extra to those working in that area?

I can't answer whether or not people tipped at the end of their trip or not. However, concerning a "tip as you go" policy, I made this observation. There is NOT a space on receipts from the bar for you to add an additional tip. I took a huge stack of $1 bills and gave one each time I ordered a drink, gelato, coffee, etc. They were very much appreciated. I can honestly say that I never saw anybody else give a cash tip during the voyage. Of course, we also gave generously at the conclusion of our trip

~Brian

In the YC, you don't even need your cruise card. Around the rest of the ship you need it to order but it comes up as 0.

On the last night we tipped a few extra people, a favorite bartender from YC, one of the butlers who was always kind and helpful in Top Sail and One Pool (we actually saw him more than our own butler), then we more generously tipped our waiter from Le Muse and assigned butler.