Hotels?

parttimr

After thinking it over, my DH and I have decided the Hilton Riverside would be the best choice for our 3 pre-cruise days in NOLA. We looked on Hotwiere, Hot Rates, for our dates and see $119 per night. That is $101 less than the best rate we've found for the Hilton Riverside - $220 with our AAA discount for a room with a king bed.

Such a large discount sounds great, but also makes us a bit leery. Since there are no refunds and no changes, we want to be sure we get the Hilton Riverside when we choose the "4* hotel near French Quarter and Mississippi River with 90% recommended." Has anyone ever gotten a different hotel booking that description? Aside from the "no refunds, no changes", what other trade offs are we making? How do we get a room with a queen or king bed?

Thanks for all your help.

After thinking it over, my DH and I have decided the Hilton Riverside would be the best choice for our 3 pre-cruise days in NOLA. We looked on Hotwiere, Hot Rates, for our dates and see $119 per night. That is $101 less than the best rate we've found for the Hilton Riverside - $220 with our AAA discount for a room with a king bed.

Such a large discount sounds great, but also makes us a bit leery. Since there are no refunds and no changes, we want to be sure we get the Hilton Riverside when we choose the "4* hotel near French Quarter and Mississippi River with 90% recommended." Has anyone ever gotten a different hotel booking that description? Aside from the "no refunds, no changes", what other trade offs are we making? How do we get a room with a queen or king bed?

Thanks for all your help.

Don't book that if you want Riverside. I just looked and I don't see Riverside for your dates now. Hilton Riverside has been showing up with tennis nearby and spa services as amenities. I believe what you're looking at is Omni Riverfront. You may want to look into it. I've never stayed there, but I want to try it sometime. It's across the street from the riverwalk mall.

The Omni is a bit further away from the French Quarter than the Hilton Riverside. The Hotwire discount is around $20 a night, so we'd just book direct with the hotel for that little savings. According to the map, we'd have to walk 2.5 blocks to the same streetcar stop that is right outside the Hilton Riverside. But the Omni is about $75 less per night, so....now we've got more thinking to do....

One thing I noticed about the Omni hotel chain is that they publicize a "good night's rest" policy that the hotel is to be quiet from 10:30 p.m. on. Great idea.

Thank you so much. Once again, you live up to being a "saint". Really appreciate your helpfulness.

Will look at the Omni Riverfront now.

To answer the rest of your question, some Hotwire hotels have a bed choice tab. If it has that you can select your bed type that way. If not it's usually tied to the number of guests. If you book 2 adults 2 children, they'll give you two beds. If you book 1 or 2 adults they'll usually give you a king or queen. Some places you can call ahead to verify your bed type. Others you have to wait until check-in.

To answer the rest of your question, some Hotwire hotels have a bed choice tab. If it has that you can select your bed type that way. If not it's usually tied to the number of guests. If you book 2 adults 2 children, they'll give you two beds. If you book 1 or 2 adults they'll usually give you a king or queen. Some places you can call ahead to verify your bed type. Others you have to wait until check-in.

There's a streetcar stop at Julia street.

We are sailing on the Dream March 11 and staying one night before. We have been to New Orleans several times and always stayed in the French Quarter but are flexible on location. The most important thing for us is a hotel with clean rooms. I would like to keep it around $200. I've looked at Hotwire and have used it before. We've had some good and some bad experiences. Suggestions on hotels would be appreciated or which hotel we may get with the Hotwire option would be helpful as well. Thank you!

Saint Greg do you happen to have an idea what the 3.5 star hotel in the warehouse district is for $72 on Oct 8-9? Thanks for your wealth of knowledge on hotwire. Who dat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

There's only one hotel in that area with 4 stars on trip advisor with 1000-1500 reviews, a restaruant and a pool. Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center...which has previously been a 3* on Hotwire.

I have confirmed it is the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center. Very strainge it's like $71-72 every weekend during football season. They must really be trying to increase their bookings.

We are sailing on the Dream March 11 and staying one night before. We have been to New Orleans several times and always stayed in the French Quarter but are flexible on location. The most important thing for us is a hotel with clean rooms. I would like to keep it around $200. I've looked at Hotwire and have used it before. We've had some good and some bad experiences. Suggestions on hotels would be appreciated or which hotel we may get with the Hotwire option would be helpful as well. Thank you!

I've had good and bad experiences on hotwire. But as I've gotten better at it I've really minimized the bad experiences. Most of the time I can figure out the hotel ahead of time and do my own research on it. If I am going in blind, I've found that I've never had a bad experience with a hotel that has at least 85% recommendation. Don't fall for higher stars and lower recommendations. Most of my problems have been when I've booked say a 3* with something like a 65% recommendation. You'll find a 2.5* with 95% recommendation will be a lot better. It'll be a nice comfort suites or something.

Check out the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center and see what you think about it. It's one of the closer hotels to the cruise port. It's also right by Fulton Parking garage which is the facility I use for cruise parking. But it's not the closest to the French Quarter. You'd be looking at a 10-12 block walk to the French Quarter..or a 3-4 block walk to the Julia Street Streetcar stop. That hotel is $76 for your night. It's the 3.5 star warehouse district with 85% recommendation.

I'll give you the other ones that are under $200. You didn't say if you needed one bed or two. I'll look at both. For some hotels the price goes up for two beds. You can ensure two beds by searching for 2 adults, 2 children. If you just need one bed just search for 2 adults no children. The Hilton Garden Inn price stays the same with either search.

Here are my best guesses on the under $200 hotwire hotels.

2 adults (one bed)

$76 Warehouse District 3.5* 85% recommendation - Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center

$141 Warehouse District 4* 85% recommendation - Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery

$157 Downtown/Superdome 4* 75% recommendation - Le Pavillion

$180 French Quarter/Mississippi River 4* 90% recommendation - Omni Riverfront

$187 Warehouse District 3* 95% recommendation - Hampton Inn Convention Center

$191 Downtown/Superdome 4* 90% recommendation - Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette

$192 French Quarter/Bourbon Street 4* 90% recommendation - Sheraton

2 adults 2 children (two beds)

$76 Warehouse District 3.5* 85% recommendation - Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center

$191 Downtown/Superdome 4* 90% recommendation - Renaissance New Orleans Pere Marquette

I've had good and bad experiences on hotwire. But as I've gotten better at it I've really minimized the bad experiences. Most of the time I can figure out the hotel ahead of time and do my own research on it. If I am going in blind, I've found that I've never had a bad experience with a hotel that has at least 85% recommendation. Don't fall for higher stars and lower recommendations. Most of my problems have been when I've booked say a 3* with something like a 65% recommendation. You'll find a 2.5* with 95% recommendation will be a lot better. It'll be a nice comfort suites or something.

Check out the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center and see what you think about it. It's one of the closer hotels to the cruise port. It's also right by Fulton Parking garage which is the facility I use for cruise parking. But it's not the closest to the French Quarter. You'd be looking at a 10-12 block walk to the French Quarter..or a 3-4 block walk to the Julia Street Streetcar stop. That hotel is $76 for your night. It's the 3.5 star warehouse district with 85% recommendation.

I'll give you the other ones that are under $200. You didn't say if you needed one bed or two. I'll look at both. For some hotels the price goes up for two beds. You can ensure two beds by searching for 2 adults, 2 children. If you just need one bed just search for 2 adults no children. The Hilton Garden Inn price stays the same with either search.

2 adults (one bed)

Wow! Thank you so much for your knowledgeable response. It would be a room for two adults, two children. We don't need to be close to the French Quarter, we have done that several times. We will likely have a good dinner (we have loved the food in NO) and settle in for the night, get up and eat breakfast and head to the port. If it were you, which hotel would you choose for that situation? Remember that my number one priority is a clean hotel. Thanks again!

Wow! Thank you so much for your knowledgeable response. It would be a room for two adults, two children. We don't need to be close to the French Quarter, we have done that several times. We will likely have a good dinner (we have loved the food in NO) and settle in for the night, get up and eat breakfast and head to the port. If it were you, which hotel would you choose for that situation? Remember that my number one priority is a clean hotel. Thanks again!

I think those are all probably clean. I wouldn't be afraid to book any of them. The only ones on that list that I've stayed at are La Pavillion, Renaissance Pere Marquette, and Sheraton. And it's been a few years on all of three of those. If you want my best guarantee on that it's Sheraton which is just your total modern luxury hotel. But you may want to look at some reviews and pictures from people who have stayed at those hotels recently. Maybe look online for a "trip advisor" ;)

I think those are all probably clean. I wouldn't be afraid to book any of them. The only ones on that list that I've stayed at are La Pavillion, Renaissance Pere Marquette, and Sheraton. And it's been a few years on all of three of those. If you want my best guarantee on that it's Sheraton which is just your total modern luxury hotel. But you may want to look at some reviews and pictures from people who have stayed at those hotels recently. Maybe look online for a "trip advisor" ;)

Any idea what the 3* hotel is in the Warehouse District? It has a 95% recommendation and is $187. It also includes breakfast and is one of the only hotel choices on Hotwire that does for under $200. Although for the price of the Hilton Garden Inn we could pay for a nice breakfast and still be under $200. Thanks again!

Any idea what the 3* hotel is in the Warehouse District? It has a 95% recommendation and is $187. It also includes breakfast and is one of the only hotel choices on Hotwire that does for under $200. Although for the price of the Hilton Garden Inn we could pay for a nice breakfast and still be under $200. Thanks again!

I just noticed it doesn't have bed choice and we will definitely need two beds! There is another 3* Superdome Area for $214 that could work too. That one you can choose beds.

Edited by MickeyNicki

Hampton Inn & Suites - Convention Center

I just noticed it doesn't have bed choice and we will definitely need two beds! There is another 3* Superdome Area for $214 that could work too. That one you can choose beds.

You just have to start your search with 2 adults, 2 children and they'll give you two beds. They aren't going to expect four people to sleep in one bed :D This bed choice is relatively new to hotwire (within the past year). Not everyone does it yet.

2 adults (one bed)

I'm still looking... I've found one today that is 4* Warehouse District for $198 with 90% or 4* Central Business District for $209 and 95% recommendation. Any idea which hotels those might be? Which area would be closest to the port and/or dining. Thanks again for your help!

I'm still looking... I've found one today that is 4* Warehouse District for $198 with 90% or 4* Central Business District for $209 and 95% recommendation. Any idea which hotels those might be? Which area would be closest to the port and/or dining. Thanks again for your help!

That $209 CBD hotel should be the Intercontinental New Orleans. Super nice. I've stayed there a bunch of times. The warehouse district one looks fairly new to hotwire. I'll make an educated guess of the Renaissance New Orleans. I've never stayed there. Reinaissance would be closer to the port by 4-5 blocks. Both would be close to dining but Intercontinental would be closer to more dining options. It's only three blocks from the French Quarter.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone stayed at the Homewood Suites on Poydras recently? Reviews are on opposite extremes on other websites, so I was hoping some of you CC friends could give me your opinions. I currently have two of the 2 bedroom/2 bath guest rooms reserved for my family, my brother's family, and my parents. We wanted that kind of space, but I am not convinced that this location is THE ONE. Someone tell me that it is fabulous. Or that it is horrible. That way I will know if I should keep or cancel the reservation.

Thanks!

Saint Greg you helped me tremendously in the past and wonder if you can help again on rooms for hotwire.

Riverside or FQ areas

$200 or less

February 24 & 25, 2018

2 adults

Last time I got Hilton Riverside for me and hubby. I got Sheraton Four Pointe for mom. Thank you so much!!!

Saint Greg you helped me tremendously in the past and wonder if you can help again on rooms for hotwire.

Riverside or FQ areas

$200 or less

February 24 & 25, 2018

2 adults

Last time I got Hilton Riverside for me and hubby. I got Sheraton Four Pointe for mom. Thank you so much!!!

$74 - 3.5* Warehouse District 85% rec - Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center

$121 - 4* Downtown/Superdome 75% rec - Le Pavillion

$107 - 3.5* Downtown/Superdome 85% rec - Holiday Inn Downtown-Superdome

$136 - 4* Downtown/Superdome 90% rec - The Troubadour A Joie de Vivre Hotel

$154 - 4* French Quarter/Mississippi River 90% rec - Omni Riverfront

$158 - 4* French Quarter/Bourbon Street 80% rec - Astor Crowne Plaza

$178 - 4* Central Business District 95% rec - Intercontinental New Orleans

$149 - 3* Warehouse District 90% rec - Staybridge Suites

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Saint Greg.....I have read the first couple of pages of this thread then jumped to page 18 to finish the read. YOU seem to be the "go to" guy regarding hotels on the past few pages. I don't do any of the online hotel sites, but I am very interested in a hotel close to the pier that the Carnival Dream will be. We will fly in the day before the cruise and not renting a car. The streetcar interests me for a tour around the area, but I am hoping that Carnival will offer a tour after the cruise on the way to the airport. I think that the Hilton Garden Inn Convention Center or the Renaissance New Orleans might fit, what do you think?? Thank you for your help. We will be flying in on June 2, 2018.

Hey! SaintGreg and all - welcome any recommendations for a hotel for our Disembarkation day in New Orleans Nov 1-2 - looking for best value for the money max budget is $250 and looking for a hotel that will possibly accommodate an extremely early check in around 11. Willing to roll the dice with hotwire or book direct.. Riverfront/Quarter/Warehouse districts all okay.