Q for POA Cruisers: How much $ in ‘extras’?

DharmaMtn

Hi all,

Been a while since my last visit and I’m back to visit and plan our next cruise. I am enjoying getting back in touch with the forums and reading trip reports, Q’s and A’s. We have sailed NCL, Holland and Carnival.

I am comparing ‘additional’ costs between the POA and the Safari Explorer (small ship).

Assuming a base rate of $2599/Balcony on POA how much extra $ would you allow for:

Excursions (ship or booked direct)

Meals off the ship

Alcohol/Water/Soda ON the ship

Any other excursion costs (park fees, rental cars, etc)

Excluding pre/post cruise costs

I’m thinking we might allow $1000-$1500 for on-board drinks + excursions if we booked with POA. In a very general way do you think that is a reasonable number? I’m just looking for an off-the-top-of-your-head guess. For those who have done this cruise what are your thoughts?

I have familiarized myself with both ships and I am clear on the differences. There is an appeal to trying a yacht given their testimonials.

I would also consider skipping the 10-12 hours travel time from the east coast to HI and instead starting the cruise in CA but that’s a whole ‘nuther day of researching the forums!

Thank you in advance for any opinions!

Just booked my excursions for our upcoming POA- cost was about $1800 or $900 per person. We are not doing anything super expensive like helicopter rides, but we do have something in every port and a mix of ship/ non ship tours. You can save money doing tours on your own but I was interested in doing things the easy way. Drinks on board- I am budgeting about $200-$300 for the week. So that would be in line with your planned budget

The only things we have ever booked tours for in Hawaii were things you really can't do without one, like ocean snorkeling ( and even then, there are some locations with pretty good snorkeling off the beach ) and helicopter tours. Pretty much anything else is just drive up and look ( Waimea Canyon, Mt Haleakala, Volcanoes National Park ), and rental cars are super cheap, as in $30 something for a full day of whatever it is that strikes your fancy. The driving is very easy, except for the Honolulu/Waikiki area. With all the money you save, you can afford to do some really knock your socks off tours like a helicopter tour in mostly inaccessible Kauai. And you'll probably end up seeing much more than those who book 1 expensive few hour excursion per port.

We probably spend a bit less on booze on a Hawaii cruise, at least on the POA, where everyday is a port day and you spend so much time off the ship. Probably $300 total? But, we spend a bit more on food off the ship than normal. Food off the ship anywhere in Hawaii is a little more expensive. We like to do some barefoot bar lunches, or maybe a special dinner or luau at somewhere like Mama's Fish House on one of the overnights. The ship does make it very easy to take food and snacks with you. They set up sandwich makings in the buffet areas at breakfast, if you really want to save money.

DharmaMtn - As you have read, the Pride of America and the Safari Explorer are totally different ships (understatement). You can compare expenses if you wish, but not the experiences. To call the Safari Explorer a yacht is a bit of a stretch. You are basically looking at a floating hotel versus an expedition type of ship. What sort of experience are you looking for?

punkincc,

I remember the sammich station on our previous NCL cruise. Throw in some fruit and we were good to go for lunch/snack on port days! We are somewhat fearless when it comes to car travel and we can be on our own time and be spontaneous. The heli tours look awesome. Since I had to forego diving a few years ago I am more focused on spectacular snorkeling and I know the Safari can meet my need in that regard.

SS,

I understand your point! In terms of gross tonnage and LOA I think both ship and yacht are appropriate. Freeport shipbuilders refers to the Explorer as a yacht and both AdventureSmith and Uncruise use the term on their website. In fact, one of the brochures on the Uncruise website for 2017 uses the word ‘yacht’ 11 times!

Yachting is my emotional nomenclature for privilege and elegance!

Edit to add: I wanted to answer that in planning our trips I am mindful of both our needs and wants. The experiences on the explorer may or may not represent what DH wants. It is a fun process and I enjoy doing it and he depends on me to fully research our options.

It’s basically like picking out tile; I do all the research and narrow it down to 2-3 options and give hime the final decision. In this case, 2 very different cruise options. Fingers crossed for the Explorer!

Edited by DharmaMtn