Project Runway?

BlueHerons

There were a few that were very creative/avant garde, and that's fine, but I think at least a couple of the designers will be in trouble when they have to follow parameters beyond their own visions. Plus, they have a mix of model sizes, so that should add some drama.

There were a few that were very creative/avant garde, and that's fine, but I think at least a couple of the designers will be in trouble when they have to follow parameters beyond their own visions. Plus, they have a mix of model sizes, so that should add some drama.

It's definitely going to be an interesting season. And the ones who have only done men's wear my be in big trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't usually watch the Road to the Runway segment, though I am glad I did this time. Watching it made me wonder whether there is a secret strategy for the judges (past participants) to choose at least a few designers who will probably LOSE, meaning ones that are likely to be eliminated through the course of the season in order to let the really promising ones continue on.

For example, I just cannot believe that the Asian guy who designs "Hello Kitty" and "Care Bears" stuff is a serious contender -- nor the Moslem woman who designs modest clothing, nor the unisex designer(s). It's not that there isn't a market for these types of designs, but I just can't see them being serious PR material -- not unless those same designers move pretty far away from the point of view that got them on PR in the first place!

As for menswear -- I wish they would simply eliminate the menswear challenges! They are consistently unsuccessful: boring and embarrassing. Isn't it pretty much a given that the money is in designing women's wear? For that matter, I would like to see them eliminate the lingerie, athletic wear, and swimwear challenges, too! Yawn!!

I don't usually watch the Road to the Runway segment, though I am glad I did this time. Watching it made me wonder whether there is a secret strategy for the judges (past participants) to choose at least a few designers who will probably LOSE, meaning ones that are likely to be eliminated through the course of the season in order to let the really promising ones continue on.

I hadn't thought of that but it makes a great deal of sense.

Although there were a handful that looked like they could be the first to go, you can never tell if they might really shine in the first challenge while one of those that looks promising falls apart.

Looking forward to the season and already have my DVR set!

Loved the winning look and one of the other top three. I liked some of the "safe" designs more than the third top design. Not at all surprised with the one who went home.:eek:

Interesting preview where they talked about cheating.:confused:

I like the earlier time slot.

HI all!

I watched the preview show last week but also taped it so will look at it again. Watched last night & agree the right person went home. Yes, those twins are annoying! Glad the menswear designer didn't quit, it looked like he might.

This will be a very interesting season. Oh btw wasn't too impressed with Heidi's cleavage.

"Til next week, have a good one.

~ Jo ~ :)

Well since Deyonte lives in the same town as I do, I was glad that I really liked his design. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a tool and make ugly things.

I like color and prints, and I thought Deyonte's dress looked gorgeous on the model. I also liked Brandon's and how his model looked in it.

I'm already over the twins and may need to mute in the future. I'm not really into those kitchy type clothes, so was fine with Chacha going. I think there were more designs I disliked than liked this week, so only time will tell if I change my mind.

Like: Deyonte, Brandon, Margarita, Kentaro, Kenya (I had to look at pics for names)

I was neither shocked nor disappointed with who went home, and I think the right 3 were in the bottom. The winner was a toss-up for me, but I didn't disagree. The twins are wicked annoying, and I foresee some drama there. Usually the first episode isn't quite as full of drama as this one was, but then, they never had anything but skinny models to deal with, and I'm sure being thrown the various sizes threw them for a loop. I mean, if one is used to designing menswear, the ideal model would be the next best shape - your standard size nothing model with no boobs or booty!

Hi all!

I don't know why but for some reason this season is really appealing to me! I've watched both shows at least twice.:o

Looks like a lot of drama ahead. Looking forward to seeing what the cheating segment was all about.

I can hardly wait until Thursday!!

See you then.

Kudzani's outfit (red/white w/ red leggings) is exactly my style (but probably no one else's). But my favorite look was that black and white number from Kentaro. The winning look was quite nice, too.

Of course Chacha needed to go. He should never have been there. Though Batani's hot mess of a grey dress was really just as bad.

I LIKE the twins (personality, not sure about style yet). In fact it pissed me off that other contestants were making fun of their accurate pronunciation. What have we come to when clear annunciation is something to criticize? BTW, they were on/won another reality/game show called something like "Twinning."

I don't mind the twins enunciation, but I find the "artist's statement" type of speaking about their designs more than a bit pretentious. Even Tim looked a little...overwhelmed? Confused? Taken aback? by their "deep" dissertation about what they were doing and why. I mean, this was a pretty cut and dry assignment. Lord help us when their designs actual have to mean something. You know, draw inspiration from the streets of NYC for the avant garde challenge or something.

Well, Heidi's favorite challenge (unconventional materials) has come and gone -- at least the first one has -- maybe there will be more. I am in general not a fan of these challenges -- and tonight I got a real sense of how dangerous and unsanitary (!!) these garbage-oriented challenges can be. When the band-aids and inhalers come out, I think things have gone too far!! I hope these designers get full sets of immunizations before coming on the show -- including tetanus, typhoid, and hepatitis!!

To me, this challenge was pretty much "garbage in, garbage out." It was even less inspiring to me than past challenges of the same sort. I do not hate the candy store, Hallmark store, hardware store-type challenges -- just the recycling center ones. And I do not understand what the judges found so impressive about the winning look.

I thought it was rotten of the director/producer or whoever decides these things to make the unconventional challenge a team challenge. It is already so tough for most of these designers to create something worthwhile out of this kind of trash, and the team aspect, to me, disallows them from really creating their best work -- which I really think they should be allowed to do in order to possibly create something really new and hopefully stunning.

Every time they judge this unconventional challenge I get confused about what it really is the judges want to see -- transformed materials or real design. Tonight they seemed to emphasize the former. But how can the contestants know which will be more valued, if they don't think they can achieve both??

I thought the pants outfit looked the most like real clothing - the others all looked like trash. I couldn't disagree with who went home for that outfit was the worst and showed little creativity or style. I had a hard time understanding what was so wonderful about the winning look.

Did I miss something? Weren't the teasers shown for this week's show all about how someone being called out for cheating? Did I fall asleep and miss something?

I can't really disagree with the losing look (If he had only used a different color plastic!), but I wish Shawn had been sent packing instead for not producing her own outfit. She did nothing but whine and complain and the team stepped up to do it all for her.

It will be interesting when one or the other of the twins goes.

Did I miss something? Weren't the teasers shown for this week's show all about how someone being called out for cheating? Did I fall asleep and miss something?

I can't really disagree with the losing look (If he had only used a different color plastic!), but I wish Shawn had been sent packing instead for not producing her own outfit. She did nothing but whine and complain and the team stepped up to do it all for her.

It will be interesting when one or the other of the twins goes.

I think since last week was the first show, the previews were more "this season on Project Runway", not necessarily for the next week.

I actually liked Wavi Sabi's collection more than the winning one, but what do I know? I am definitely over Shawn.

HI all!

I wasn't so excited about last night's show & you do make a good point about health & safety of this type challenge, Seagoingmom. I wish Shawn had gone home last night. I think she's in over her head! She's so whiny, self centred & actually was a detriment to the team. Loved the winning team & how they got along.

Hope next week sees Shawn's departure!

I enjoyed the two judges conversing about how Shawn's model wasn't really curvy as Shawn kept complaining about. I was hoping they would send her home just because she was in the bottom again.

I agree. Shawn whining about the model being too curvy is insulting to most "normal" women in the world! She needs to be permanently put with a plus size model so that she will learn what real life looks like. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the two judges conversing about how Shawn's model wasn't really curvy as Shawn kept complaining about. I was hoping they would send her home just because she was in the bottom again.

I agree. Shawn whining about the model being too curvy is insulting to most "normal" women in the world! She needs to be permanently put with a plus size model so that she will learn what real life looks like. :rolleyes:

You both brought up a topic I, too, wanted to comment on: did everyone notice that in the discussion among the judges before they told the contestants their decision, the judges DID speak of Shawn's model as "curvy" or "plus size" or "bigger" or something like that? (I don't remember the exact words they used.) SO in spite of getting after Shawn for complaining about her model's body, the judges apparently actually agreed with her assessment of the model's size. And whether we like it or not, and whether it is realistic or not, that model (who Anne Fulenwider said is "skinnier than I am") IS categorized as plus size in the modeling world -- I think any model over size 6 or maybe 8 is so categorized.

I have occasionally looked through web pages that sell designer ready-to-wear, and found 8 to be the largest size sold by most designers, and 10 by the others. Gwynnie Bee, the plus size clothing subscription service, starts their size range at 10.

Anyone find the "model mirror" unnecessary and annoying? I hate to say that I really don't care what the models think, but it's true. First, the models would be fools to say anything really negative about what they are wearing -- they are in the business of making whatever they wear look fantastic, if they can, and I can't help but think that in their line of work, being opinionated is not an advantage. So what they say, IMO, is fake or coached or both.

And does anyone else feel it is demeaning to have the models speaking to themselves in front of a mirror? It seems to emphasize the opinion that I have, but would not expect the PR designers to have: who but the model herself really cares what the model thinks? In the past, we at least heard the model discussing with the designer how she felt about the design, which gave the model a certain dignity and presence, at least in her relationship with the designer.