Travelscoot .?. Smartscoot .?. Travelscoot .?. Smart

ProfessorEFFE

The Bruno Curbsider was about $3300, installed. Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, so that's Canadian funds. USD would likely be less.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great, thank you! And thanks for that link about the battery carrier, I prefer that then just throwing it in my back pack!

> I keep the Velcro strap permanently wrapped around the bottom bar so it's always there when needed

Do you have a picture? I used a bungee for my Triaxe on our recent flight, and it worked fine, but I like the idea of something permanently attached - my husband keeps getting my handlebars turned around getting it out of and into the car.

I will take a picture of how we attach the velcro this weekend. I have a basket that is the same one as the Travelscoot, that I mount on the luggage rack of my Smartscoot. So I would attach the tray to that. We can rig something, but I'd like to get a closeup look at the clips on the Travelscoot tray.

I looked on the net for better pics of the Cruise Ship set. I couldn't find any as good as on the Travelscoot site. BUT it should be easy to replicate. you put a level on a tray, rest the tray on the front of the basket, lift the rear of the tray till the level is level. measure the distance from the bottom of the tray and the top of the rear basket. That gives you a rough distance.

• 4 months later...

We bought a Smart Scoot in June for my husband and its been a life saver. It gave him mobility when he was very sick. I can actually lift it and put it in our SUV which makes a world of difference. We do plan on taking it on a cruise in September and will let you know how we make out. We do not have a handicap room.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as far as a cover/bag that we can buy for when we gate check the scooter when flying?

Thanks

Barbara

We bought a Smart Scoot in June for my husband and its been a life saver. It gave him mobility when he was very sick. I can actually lift it and put it in our SUV which makes a world of difference. We do plan on taking it on a cruise in September and will let you know how we make out. We do not have a handicap room.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as far as a cover/bag that we can buy for when we gate check the scooter when flying?

Thanks

Barbara

Congrats! The SS was a lifesaver for me too! You do not need a cover. When we get to the gate, we just remove the battery, put the feet pegs up, and push down the seat backrest, and you're good to go. We used to put the handlebar down but it takes a lot of wear and tear on the cables in transit. Here's a tip, purchase a battery carrying bag, the airlines are strict with lithium batteries and I've been asked if it's in a secure case. The bag I bought was only $11 on Amazon and the SS battery fit perfectly. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/HOBBYTIGER-Retardant-Charging-Zippered-215x155x115mm/dp/B01D88ICDM/ref=pd_sbs_21_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01D88ICDM&pd_rd_r=2WEKGPG8W39X3DNWBP4Z&pd_rd_w=YvS84&pd_rd_wg=nauyM&psc=1&refRID=2WEKGPG8W39X3DNWBP4Z

Also, the first time we cruised with my SS we didn't have a handicap room but, the SS fit through the door, with an inch to spare. Just be sure the back wheels are at the narrowest setting and it's best if your hubby angles the SS as straight as possible when entering.

Happy travels and happy scooting!

I don't use a cover. I think (hope) the ground crew will take better care of my Smartscoot if they can see what it is. I don't remove the seat. I fold down the backrest and the steering column. I wrap a wide Velcro strap around the steering column and base crossbar to immobilize the steering column. I also ordered the Hobby Tiger battery case from amazon. It's perfect for taking the battery into the cabin.

Interesting thread. My husband purchased a scooter last year. He has a Tzora Classic. It folds, and weighs 51 lbs (without battery) when folded. It also comes apart into 2 pieces (25 lbs and 26 lbs) which allows me to put it in the back of our SUV. We have flown and cruised with it. It has a full seat with arms. It's front wheel drive, and goes about 8 to 10 miles on a charge. He's loving it so far. It can stall going up a steep ramp to board ship, but I just need to push a little from behind and it makes it. Re: flying - We checked it once with luggage without its cover, and it got pretty scratched up. Checked it another time with its cover, and the cover now has holes in it. Best bet...gate check it!

Jane

My husband just purchased his 2nd Tzora. I can't believe that more people haven't discovered this really great scooter. Ditto for flying and cruising with it. Seat is one of the most comfortable we have come across AND it has armrests. It is also key operated & has both forward and reverse and has a very comfortable foot platform.

We always gate check without any cover and take the batteries onto the plane with us, because one time it came back to the gate in parts and without the battery.

We even got the lighter batteries so we can fold it and put it into the back of our hatchback easily.

Never had a problem being denied tendering because it is so light yet full size.

My husband just purchased his 2nd Tzora. I can't believe that more people haven't discovered this really great scooter. Ditto for flying and cruising with it. Seat is one of the most comfortable we have come across AND it has armrests. It is also key operated & has both forward and reverse and has a very comfortable foot platform.

We always gate check without any cover and take the batteries onto the plane with us, because one time it came back to the gate in parts and without the battery.

We even got the lighter batteries so we can fold it and put it into the back of our hatchback easily.

Never had a problem being denied tendering because it is so light yet full size.

We use the lighter lithium-ion battery as well. We just bring the one battery and the charger. Do you bring more than one? I take the battery off at the gate and then fold up the scooter. I've had gate attendants call it "pretty slick"! What he wants now for it is a decent headlight/horn. One we got with it is junk.

Jane

We use the lighter lithium-ion battery as well. We just bring the one battery and the charger. Do you bring more than one? I take the battery off at the gate and then fold up the scooter. I've had gate attendants call it "pretty slick"! What he wants now for it is a decent headlight/horn. One we got with it is junk.

Jane

We bring 2 batteries and 2 chargers. I know they are expensive but worth it when out on excursions to have a 2nd battery. I agree the horn that came with the scooter is soooo loud and obnoxious that I am trying to get my husband to take it off. We got a chime for the last scooter. It was the kind used on bicycles and that was much quieter but didn't get people to move out of the way.

We don't bother to fold the scooter at the gate. It is just too hard for me to do alone and my husband has a problem bending over.

We bring 2 batteries and 2 chargers. I know they are expensive but worth it when out on excursions to have a 2nd battery. I agree the horn that came with the scooter is soooo loud and obnoxious that I am trying to get my husband to take it off. We got a chime for the last scooter. It was the kind used on bicycles and that was much quieter but didn't get people to move out of the way.

We don't bother to fold the scooter at the gate. It is just too hard for me to do alone and my husband has a problem bending over.

I'm thinking of bringing the front section of the scooter to our local bike shop and see what they have that will fit on it securely. He'd like a headlight too.

I think I would need to fold up the scooter when we fly out of Bangor...it's always a small plane out of Bangor (kind with 2 seats on one side and 1 seat on the other side). The hold is smaller than on a bigger plane. I can fold it up okay...I practice before hand! Dick can't help at all...his balance with his prosthetic leg is not good.

Have any cruises planned? We're going on HAL's Koningsdam on Oct 29 (Caribbean). First time on HAL. We're big Celebrity cruisers. We have two Celebrity cruises booked for next year.

jane

I'm thinking of bringing the front section of the scooter to our local bike shop and see what they have that will fit on it securely. He'd like a headlight too.

I think I would need to fold up the scooter when we fly out of Bangor...it's always a small plane out of Bangor (kind with 2 seats on one side and 1 seat on the other side). The hold is smaller than on a bigger plane. I can fold it up okay...I practice before hand! Dick can't help at all...his balance with his prosthetic leg is not good.

Have any cruises planned? We're going on HAL's Koningsdam on Oct 29 (Caribbean). First time on HAL. We're big Celebrity cruisers. We have two Celebrity cruises booked for next year.

jane

We are going on the Caribbean Princess October 7-14 Caribbean cruise. We will be flying into FFL on Oct. 6 and boarding the ship on Oct. 7th

Also 4/27/18 Alaska with R/T Los Angeles

Also 10/23/18 Hawaii/Tahiti R/T Los Angeles

Helen

Helen

• 1 month later...

I have a Tzora scooter. Folds up. Light weight. Take it in the back of my SUV. Wife and I lift it right in, no problem. Crappy horn and light supplied. Went to bicycle shop bought a $10 bell. (Ding dong - Ice cream man) and a rear view mirror. Put a fisheye on the mirror. For a light went to Harbor Freight and for 4 bucks bought a triangle battery powered light that I hang on the basket. Went to a sport store and bought a 5 dollar flashing red light to hang on my hat to the rear. Used it for about 12 cruises with Princess. I don't fly. Have the lite-weight battery. Total investment so far about $1500. Worth every penny. Total problems so far....defective fuse when new. Cost to fix $35.00. Many inquiries and comments on cruises. Fits thru all doors on cabins.

Very informative post, thank you. Can anyone tell me the width? I need to rent a scooter and there are no more accessible cabins available. I'm searching for either a folding scooter or a narrow one, and the SmartScoot seems to be the answer.

Can anyone can tell me the rental price too?

TIA

The Scooter can go as narrow as 22 inches wide. This is the narrowest setting. I would adjust the wheels to a width compatable to my stateroom door. Here is the URL for the Specs.

https://www.smartscoot.com/foldable-mobility-scooter-specifications/

As far as rental goes this is the place where I bought mine and he also rents. I don't have the price sheet. But here is the URL for Scoot Anywhere.

http://www.scootanywhere.com

Hope this helps

Very informative post, thank you. Can anyone tell me the width? I need to rent a scooter and there are no more accessible cabins available. I'm searching for either a folding scooter or a narrow one, and the SmartScoot seems to be the answer.

Can anyone can tell me the rental price too?

TIA

RE: width of scooter - Since you plan to rent a scooter you need to ask the rental company regarding the width of the scooter that sill be supplied. Scooters vary in width so not knowing the make/model no one on this forum can advise that measurement.

RE: width of cabin door - You need to provide the name of the cruise or ask the cruise line directly. Keep in mind that the door with provided is from door frame to door frame. Two (2) inches must than be deducted from that measurement to get total door clearance as the door does not open flush to the wall.

RE: Cost of scooter - again no one can tell you specifically the cost as it depends on many variables therefore you need to speak directly to the rental company to get a no obligation quote. If renting from one of the cruise lines approved vendors ( www.scootaround.com or www.Specialneedsatseas.com NCL only allows SpecialNeedsatSea )the cost is based on the following :

• Number of cruise days
  • Port of embarkation
  • Port of disembarkation
  • Type of scooter being rented base on scooter weight capacity relative to the weight of the end user.
  • If scooter will be delivered to pre-cruise hotel and number of days use pre-cruise
  • If delivered to pre-cruise hotel does the rental company have to return to transport it to the ship or will you be arranging transport ?
  • If scooter is being rented for post cruise as well. If so does the rental provider have to pickup from port of disembarkation to transport it to the hotel or will you transport it?
  • If insurance is purchased to cover any damage and or cancelation .

RE: Smartscoot scooter rental - Only one company rents this scooter and will not deliver it to or pick-up from the ship. Rental details including cost can be found in this link https://www.scootanywhere.com/orders.php

Edited by xxoocruiser

What you can do with the Smartscoot rental is order it say for the week before you go. Learn to drive it and take it to the airport with you for the cruise. Use it on the cruise and then drive it to a cab and then in the airport for the trip back. You get home and box it up and UPS will come and get it easy peasy.

I don't work for SmartScoot or Scoot anywhere. And I get nothing for my recomendations.