Laundry

ronrick1943

Tc and others will answer in more detail, but I know that Regent has some free laundry (and pressing) depending on "level" (how many nights one has cruised) On our last cruise, we benefited from that service for the first time-- it was fine to have.

Hopefully not. Those of us who had to sail on Regent 200 nights to get included laundry were not too happy when Regent began offering one bag per week to some cruisers (not sure what level). They made the bags much smaller which, I almost hate to admit, made me a bit happier.

IMO, when Regent began offering free internet to everyone (something that was a Silver and above benefit and then became a Gold and above benefit), it was also frustrating. The only good part was that the "free" benefit only includes one log one per suite.

When people sail on one cruise line for years and appreciate the loyalty benefits, it is tough to swallow when those benefits are diluted.

I will say, however, that the laundry done by Regent is much better than what we experienced on Oceania (at least for the one bag that you pay for).

Just my honest opinion!

P.S. Regent customers are generally not happy when Oceania policies are forced upon them. This was going on a lot a few years ago. In fact, the Concierge suites came from Oceania. Regent was going to have different boarding times for passengers like they do at Regent but the push back was dramatic and Regent realized that it was time to drop that idea to keep their loyal customers happy.

Aww, Tc, c'mon: Don't begrudge us our itty-bitty bag of laundry. We received that amenity, I believe, when we became gold. If Regent decided to comp silvers as well, I know it wouldn't bother me; I wouldn't feel that my amenities were diluted. I think that maybe the internet perks were somewhat different, but I don't know. Anyway, enjoy all your upcoming cruises.

Aww, Tc, c'mon: Don't begrudge us our itty-bitty bag of laundry. We received that amenity, I believe, when we became gold. If Regent decided to comp silvers as well, I know it wouldn't bother me; I wouldn't feel that my amenities were diluted. I think that maybe the internet perks were somewhat different, but I don't know. Anyway, enjoy all your upcoming cruises.

poss, really trying to be understanding but it is difficult. I think this is because I have become obsessed with becoming Titanium (something I am definitely not proud of). If I didn't have one of the best husbands in the world, we wouldn't reach that level until next March. However, as one of his many shows of caring and kindness, we booked an Alaska cruise that gave us the 10 days that we needed and we'll reach that milestone in November. Please understand that we are not rich -- instead, we are lucky/fortunate. In our wildest dreams we did not expect to become Gold - let alone Platinum and now Titanium.

While people that can do long and world cruises can easily meet these milestones, we have done it with 7, 10, 14, 18, night cruises. When we reach Titanium level in November, it will be almost be 14 years since we started sailing on Regent. Had it not been for our kitties, we would have reached higher levels long ago. We are cruising less now due to cost (and the fact that as my DH reaches super elderly status, he will no longer put up with small suites.)

I have done our laundry so many times throughout the years on Regent that I don't think that it is that much of a hardship. However, having included laundry (and soon dry cleaning) is such a pleasure but I suppose that I am a bit selfish. It would be easy to deny it but it is what it is. Also, when non-Platinum guests put in their bags of laundry, it only means that the rest of us have to wait longer for our laundry to be done.

Just call me spoiled:halo:

TC, I really don't see why you would care, your always talking about Regent should be the same for all. Except you like the loyalty program because it gives you benfits. Programs change because Marketing to the cruisers change, without change companies don't move forward. Some changes people may not like while others think it's time. People may think think it's a Club at Regent, but unless you pay a fee, it's not a Club---Regent is a Company that needs to fill ships.

You always talk about the nights you sail---Will just maybe Regent should take a look at what people spend. A person that spends say $20,000pp, and another person that spends $10,000pp for a 15 day cruise. Now you get 15 additional cruising days in the loyalty program-the same amount that someone spends $10,000pp more on Regent. Now you cruise again for $10,000pp and get another 15 days in the loyalty program. That's 30 days for you spending the same amount of $20,000pp. Now (on this new cruise) you've taken the same amount of space, plus it cost Regent for your additional 15 days of food and drink, plus air, plus tours. So really it cost Regent more in $$$ and rewards you better than someone that pays more....Think about it----It's only good business and that's why change becomes important. I know you disagree, and that's alright---Rick

Rick, FYI, Regent just changed and added to to their loyalty program. What you described about different people paying different fares is exactly why Regent and Oceania can not share benefits despite customers wishing that they could do so. Personally I like the way Regent's loyalty program is run (compared to Oceania's or even other luxury cruise lines).

You are right........ I believe that everyone on Regent should be treated the same once they step outside of their suite (I have had this discussion with Regent management several times). However, loyalty benefits are invisible. No one knows how many computer log-ons someone has -- whether or not they are paying for their laundry or dry cleaning -- who gets a percentage off of their excursions (whether it be due to the suite level they are staying in or Seven Seas Society benefits).

If Regent (or any other cruise line) wants to keep their guests loyal, they need to have competitive loyalty benefits which Regent does. And, yes, I do post about our nights on board and other things (as do you) but all of us are anonymous on Cruise Critic ...... this is not something I discuss while onboard Regent. It is no one's business which category of suite I am in. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of sharing our suite number on Roll Call (as did others) and, if I ever meet you, I can tell you nightmare stories about having done that. For this reason, I won't even attend a Meet and Greet (or the new Meet and Mingles sponsored by Cruise Critic).

Why do I care? Because it took us years to attain what some passengers want immediately. It is a simple matter of fairness.

Sorry to sound harsh but this is definitely a hot button for me. OTOH, even though we all reach Regent's top level in the Seven Seas Society in mid-November, two new levels will begin 6 weeks later (higher than ours). Am I upset about that? Absolutely not. I'm happy that the people that have spent years on Regent and hope that they enjoy what they have earned. No jealousy whatsoever!

TC2 it makes sad reading your attitude to guests having included laundry washing at Gold status level.

Every year, sometimes twice a year the price of the cruise fare increases. Regent as a business is trying to ensure they are providing services that reflect the price we are paying.

I would never begrudge anyone included "perks" or whatever you would call it like log ons to Wifi or laundry. At the end of the day we are paying for it?

On our first Explorer cruise in May the gold and above society event was held in The Explorer Suite, as it was unoccupied during our 11 night cruise (apparently a rare occurrence).

I would imagine there were about 50 people there abouts that attended, I have no idea or interest what status of society membership they held.

I just appreciate the included laundry washing and the other "perks " that are involved. Jean.

TC2 it makes sad reading your attitude to guests having included laundry washing at Gold status level.

Every year, sometimes twice a year the price of the cruise fare increases. Regent as a business is trying to ensure they are providing services that reflect the price we are paying.

I would never begrudge anyone included "perks" or whatever you would call it like log ons to Wifi or laundry. At the end of the day we are paying for it?

On our first Explorer cruise in May the gold and above society event was held in The Explorer Suite, as it was unoccupied during our 11 night cruise (apparently a rare occurrence).

I would imagine there were about 50 people there abouts that attended, I have no idea or interest what status of society membership they held.

I just appreciate the included laundry washing and the other "perks " that are involved. Jean.

Exactly, why begrudge updating perks to appeal to a new demographic or entice customers as long as they don't remove any perks of existing Regent loyalists. It's not about fairness, it's about business. And, since when has anything in life been "fair"? ( On the other hand, you can sail on Silversea in a silver suite and receive free laundry, free dry cleaning, unlimited internet for both passengers and a butler, regardless of loyalty status without the angst of laundry and dry cleaning envy).

Currently on Silversea in the Arctic, so haven't had internet access consistently.

My 2 cents: very happy about the laundry thing on Oceania because when we sail that line, we always book concierge.

The free bag of laundry on Regent kicks in when you reach gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We get some amount of free laundry on Regent and appreciate the perk (really no different than an onboard credit if you think about it). That said, if they offered other laundry programs (free or otherwise) it would not impact our experience in the slightest. We use the laundry services on cruises extensively...it makes packing so much easier. FYI, just about everything offered on the ship is negotiable when booking the cruise. We have negotiated free, unlimited, two log-on, internet (such as it is) for years before it became a Seven Seas perk as a condition of booking and Regent has always accomondated this request.

Bemoaning the fact that cruisers now get benefits which some of us paid for in years past (in cash or nights sailed) is, indeed, selfish. It in no way hurts those who've "earned" this perk by sailing a lot. The only exception I can think of is the expansion of wifi access which has (maybe) degraded performance for those who had the unlimited access perk. There have been some offsetting improvements to (in my opinion) keep the wifi service about where it has been for some time now...still waiting for the quantum upgrades to boost performance.

As earlier posters have noted, our one bag a week of (now) included laundry doesn't negatively affect anyone...and was a sop to offset some now included benefits like wifi which have been pushed "down" to all guests.

If the only reason a person cruises is to seek the benefits of higher status, I think their priorities are wrong. We, too, have worked our way up the ladder with relatively short cruises. Now gold, and will hit Platinum in February 2019. Do we look forward to that (mostly the unlimited laundry)? Yes. Are we cruising with Regent just to get there? No. We mostly opt for Regent for SO many other reasons.

Now, if there is a perk which does need some work it is the special event for Gold and above cruisers. The number of Gold level cruisers increases every year and the events which were, at one time pretty special, now tend to be an extra performance by a guest performer. Even as a Gold member now, I think they should add a truly special event for Platinum and above while keeping, as they need to because of the numbers, the current special events for Gold (of course, Platinum and above could also attend as a double perk). Previous Gold+ events not seen for many years now: a cocktail party in the courtyard of the Celsis Library in Ephesus, sailing up to the Hubbard glacier on the (unknown) crew deck veranda on the forward part of the Mariner with hot (and spiked) beverages served, etc. None of which are practical with the higher numbers in the SSS.

Edited by Portolan

Exactly, why begrudge updating perks to appeal to a new demographic or entice customers as long as they don't remove any perks of existing Regent loyalists. It's not about fairness, it's about business. And, since when has anything in life been "fair"? ( On the other hand, you can sail on Silversea in a silver suite and receive free laundry, free dry cleaning, unlimited internet for both passengers and a butler, regardless of loyalty status without the angst of laundry and dry cleaning envy).

You are obviously correct about Silversea -- we have sailed in a silver suite and received free laundry. As I recall, however, Silverseas loyalty program did not come close to to that of Regent. Each cruise lines have a "hook" to gain new customers. IMO, the "hook" that Regent has is included excursions.

mickenbob - don't even know how to respond to "negotiating" free items that one is not entitled to. Included internet for two has been a perk for as long as we have been sailing on Regent but it kicked in at 21 nights. Anyone that reached silver status prior to the benefit requiring gold status was grandfathered. IMO, the only thing free internet for all did was make the system impossibly slow so giving this extra perk did affect everyone on the ship.

This is not a make or break issue to me and I know that I'm being selfish which is out of character for me. I'm one that fought against the Concierge program because it was treating lower category passengers differently that upper category passengers. I've also had discussions with management about making sure that everyone is treated equally when they step foot outside of their suite. We have never asked for special privileges from Regent. So, I give myself permission to be selfish in this case.

It is important to note that I did not rant on CC when gold members received their 1 bag a week. I am responding to the TS that wants 3 bags.

Edited by Travelcat2

Reporting that the OP/TS was wanting Regent to move to 3 bags of laundry to be included seems to be a slight distortion. ronrick was simply reporting on an Oceania offer, which was very helpful to know.

We had no problem when Regent revised the SSS offerings. We are more than happy with the perks we receive as Platinum members and would never begrudge other grades their benefits.

I do agree that Regent should have thought through what they needed to do before offering included internet for all guests. Although we are on board Voyager at the moment and the internet has been reasonably good so far.

mickenbob - don't even know how to respond to "negotiating" free items that one is not entitled to. Included internet for two has been a perk for as long as we have been sailing on Regent but it kicked in at 21 nights. Anyone that reached silver status prior to the benefit requiring gold status was grandfathered. IMO, the only thing free internet for all did was make the system impossibly slow so giving this extra perk did affect everyone on the ship.

One is "entitled" to whatever is mutually agreeable to the respective parties. Regent is "entitled" to establish a fee for their cruises and all are "entitled" to negotiate the terms of said cruise before reaching a meeting of the minds. As said earlier, it is no different than onboard credits...which all are "entitled" to negotiate. FYI, my reference to internet was before it was ever offered as a SSS perk. We never felt slighted when it became available to all.

You are obviously correct about Silversea -- we have sailed in a silver suite and received free laundry. As I recall, however, Silverseas loyalty program did not come close to to that of Regent. Each cruise lines have a "hook" to gain new customers. IMO, the "hook" that Regent has is included excursions.

This is not a make or break issue to me and I know that I'm being selfish which is out of character for me. I'm one that fought against the Concierge program because it was treating lower category passengers differently that upper category passengers. I've also had discussions with management about making sure that everyone is treated equally when they step foot outside of their suite. We have never asked for special privileges from Regent. So, I give myself permission to be selfish in this case.

It is important to note that I did not rant on CC when gold members received their 1 bag a week. I am responding to the TS that wants 3 bags.

There is lots that could be written re your post and your attitude, but I feel that your own words have said enough!

I am thankful that we have never encountered a selfish attitude onboard. Speaking for myself I am too busy enjoying myself and the cruise to be the least bit concerned as to what benefits or privilege other guests have access to.

Life is too short and cruises on Regent are far to expensive to be spoiled by an attitude that is far from welcoming to new guests. Jean.

If the only reason a person cruises is to seek the benefits of higher status, I think their priorities are wrong. We, too, have worked our way up the ladder with relatively short cruises. Now gold, and will hit Platinum in February 2019. Do we look forward to that (mostly the unlimited laundry)? Yes. Are we cruising with Regent just to get there? No. We mostly opt for Regent for SO many other reasons.

I wasn't going to post any further on this thread since I thought I made my points clear and, since this is my opinion, it is not arguable. However, your point about cruising "to seek the benefits of higher status" is a good one. Isn't this what loyalty programs are all about? To keep customers coming back and remaining loyal?

We do cruise Regent for many reasons (the top reason being the crew) but loyalty benefits are certainly amongst the reasons. It is obvious to me that the major luxury cruise lines are on top of what competing cruise lines are offering their loyal customers. It was interesting to see "included" internet go from one luxury to line to another. And, although not a loyalty benefit (other than discounts afforded higher Seven Seas categories and Concierge guests), included excursions are being offered to some extent on Silversea and perhaps other lines as well. This is competition and keeping people loyal is important.

Admittedly, loyalty benefits alone alone do not keep customers from going to other cruise lines which is why we sailed on Silversea three times. However, when I compare Silversea and even Oceania (not luxury but nice) to Regent, Regent is simply a better cruise line for us and the benefits are the icing on the cake!

P.S. Jean, offering new guests benefits that are afforded to guests that have cruised for years doesn't make sense in any way - certainly not from a loyalty perspective. I remember when we were not even silver yet but had done 2 cruises on Regent. The thought, back in 2006, was that we would get free internet if we sailed one more time. Since we were going to sail again anyway, why not do Regent. Too many people want everything NOW which, IMO, takes away from the beauty of striving for a goal. Many people started on mainstream cruise lines and have worked their way up to luxury cruise lines. Sometimes immediate satisfaction isn't as great as waiting and earning what you hope to have.

Your idea of new Regent cruisers is completely different from how I see it.

I don't strive to attain loyalty status perks. I look forward to happy and healthy cruising with the standards we have come to expect and are delivered time and time again on Regent.

Do we want it all now? No we don't. We are happy to be in a position where we can plan ahead a cruise on Regent and enjoy each adventure for what it is, mybe warts and all who knows! Jean.

I don't strive to attain loyalty status perks. I look forward to happy and healthy cruising with the standards we have come to expect and are delivered time and time again on Regent.

Do we want it all now? No we don't. We are happy to be in a position where we can plan ahead a cruise on Regent and enjoy each adventure for what it is, mybe warts and all who knows! Jean.

Jean, i love your enthusiastic posts and agree with you that we all have different needs and wants from a cruise.

We all save hard for this lovely holiday and i would love other new cruisers to enjoy the new perks (from a very increased price range) to get the most of the money. I'm afraid that its the name of the game ...for instance...If you have a Sky package and they offer benefits to new customers and not old ones then you either accept it or move to a different provider.

Jackie...(TC)...interesting that you had such a nightmare with someone knowing your stateroom number and having a "nightmare" experience with that yet you are still giving out your stateroom number on your next cruise?????

Jean, i love your enthusiastic posts and agree with you that we all have different needs and wants from a cruise.

We all save hard for this lovely holiday and i would love other new cruisers to enjoy the new perks (from a very increased price range) to get the most of the money. I'm afraid that its the name of the game ...for instance...If you have a Sky package and they offer benefits to new customers and not old ones then you either accept it or move to a different provider.

Jackie...(TC)...interesting that you had such a nightmare with someone knowing your stateroom number and having a "nightmare" experience with that yet you are still giving out your stateroom number on your next cruise?????

Exactly what does this have to do with laundry? Do we always have to go off-topic?

I have already said that this is not a make or break situation and that I have already accepted the one bag of laundry -- just need Regent to know that some of us would prefer that they not copy Oceania's new policy. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Exactly what does this have to do with laundry? Do we always have to go off-topic?

I have already said that this is not a make or break situation and that I have already accepted the one bag of laundry -- just need Regent to know that some of us would prefer that they not copy Oceania's new policy. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Erm........who went off topic here????

You should think and maybe look back at your posts.

Couldn't agree more, I enjoy cruising for cruising. Loyalty programs are a plus. In the air I like United and am in the top level of their program, but I fly American when it meets my needs.

Also TC: Quote, I wasn't going to post any further on this thread since I thought I made my points clear and, since this is my opinion, it is not arguable. However, your point about cruising "to seek the benefits of higher status" is a good one. Isn't this what loyalty programs are all about? To keep customers coming back and remaining loyal?

Why do you think airlines are always looking at their loyalty programs and making changes when they feel it's needed. I have no problem with Regents program, but I'd like to make it better and fare for all. If you really think by adding laundry for all, I don't think that will change any Gold, Silver and higher minds about cruising on Regent. In fact Regent will make their loyalty program better in most case's. Like you say it's your opinion and that's OK--it's not OK to stop others from their opinion because Regent I would think wants to hear from all cruises. They need to fill cabins, and want new cruises to try them. If something didn't appeal to me, I'd still be cruising Sea Dreams. Now I cruise "O" and about to try Regent on three cruises, and that's a good thing for Regent (because if we enjoy our self, we'll be back). Rick

Opinions are definitely only opinions but they are ripe for debate (which is what I do a lot on CC), You may notice that I'm not the one name-calling on this thread but rather pointing out reasons why I do not think that adopting Oceania's plan is a good idea. I don't think that you are selfish or not selfish for asking or perhaps hoping that Regent adopts the 3 bags of laundry offered on Oceania.

If you or anyone else does not care about loyalty benefits and likes to switch between cruise lines because the benefits of loyalty do not matter, good for them. And, by the same token, if someone does sometimes select a certain airline or cruise line because of benefits, so be it (I do know people that will do almost anything to get points on their airline of choice).

So, if Regent is reading this thread, they will read the reasons why to increase the laundry benefit and why not to.

Opinions are definitely only opinions but they are ripe for debate (which is what I do a lot on CC), You may notice that I'm not the one name-calling on this thread but rather pointing out reasons why I do not think that adopting Oceania's plan is a good idea. I don't think that you are selfish or not selfish for asking or perhaps hoping that Regent adopts the 3 bags of laundry offered on Oceania.

If you or anyone else does not care about loyalty benefits and likes to switch between cruise lines because the benefits of loyalty do not matter, good for them. And, by the same token, if someone does sometimes select a certain airline or cruise line because of benefits, so be it (I do know people that will do almost anything to get points on their airline of choice).

So, if Regent is reading this thread, they will read the reasons why to increase the laundry benefit and why not to.

So, lets start with the name calling?......Care to expand on that?

You are giving mixed messages on your posts so it would be good to clarify what you mean?

At the risk of being chastised, TC you do fan the flames and keep the embers glowing when people diasagree and I have seen many that disagree with you. If you leave the thread alone is will disappear into the abyss. Make your final opinion and be done with it. No sense in stewing about what others write. The going back and forth, nobody has the last word and nobody wins. Very sophomoric IMHO.

You do offer good advice to new cruisers but some of these threads can turn people away from Regent as they are afraid they may encounter issues with others which is certainly not the case onboard. It really is a disservice to Regent when all this bickering is going on in a public site.