Global Entry & TSA Pre✓

Cruiseoholic000

I am looking into Global Entry & TSA Pre✓. Global Entry is international and TSA Pre✓ is just for the USA. There is a $15 difference in the two. If I get Global Entry can I use it at any TSA Pre✓, especially RSW,HNL and BDL? Is it worth it? My flight is many months away but with the lines as they are I thought it might be good to start thinking about this.

I am looking into Global Entry & TSA Pre✓. Global Entry is international and TSA Pre✓ is just for the USA. There is a $15 difference in the two. If I get Global Entry can I use it at any TSA Pre✓, especially RSW,HNL and BDL? Is it worth it? My flight is many months away but with the lines as they are I thought it might be good to start thinking about this.

It's $15 extra... and good for 5 years.

That's $3 a year.

If you use it even once....

What was your question again? ;)

If I get Global Entry can I use it at any TSA Pre✓, especially RSW,HNL and BDL?

Global Entry is $100

TSA Pre✓ is $85

That's $3 a year.

Global Entry is only "international" in that it is for entering the US from anywhere in the world -- not that it's of any help at entering other countries.

I have a Nexus card, which gives me rights to Global Entry as well, and I'll tell you it makes entering the US so much faster and easier than just the TSA precheck. Yes, pay the extra $15 to get full Global Entry status instead of just TSA Pre-check

Edited by calliopecruiser

That's $3 a year.

If I get Global Entry can I use it at any TSA Pre✓, especially RSW,HNL and BDL?

Global Entry is $100

TSA Pre✓ is $85

ROTFLMAO :D:D

Reminds me of the classic bit from "Taxi" where Bobby is helping Jim with questions for the taxi license exam:

"What does a yellow light mean?"

"Slow down"

"What...does...a...yellow...light...mean?"

Edited by FlyerTalker

We did Global Entry in Feb. 2016 and took about 6 weeks and 1 week of that was because we could not go for interview until then -- out running around the world. I can tell you that Global Entry card worked very fine in Chicago Ohare, Chicago Midway, BWI, and IAD. There is a separate line for TSA pre-check. For Ft Lauderdale the Global Entry supposedly works at the sea port also. As for other countries -- there are some agreements between countries to honor each other's trusted traveler programs. It is on web page and in the information they give you.

Look at the TSA times at various locations where you would like to do a little getaway. Book it there! The interview takes less than 30 minutes; a couple of questions, watch the video on how to use the kiosks, get your fingerprints digitally taken… Then, you've got the rest of that day and one or two others to play!!! I did this: nothing within an 8 hour drive back when I got mine. BUT, there was a short wait for interviews at LAS. Made my appointment, made hotel reservations, and had fun time in Vegas. I made back my costs at the blackjack table ;)

Reading some of the responses I found one or two a bit confusing.

Global Entry provides several benefits.

Yes, it provides the international benefit that when you return back to the USA you will be directed to a dedicated kiosks for Global Entry and then you will speed through the actual customs/immigration line too.

Another benefit of Global Entry is that it give you TSA Pre Approv as if you had TSA Pre Approv.

When returning form a cruise at Port Everglades Global Entry also allowed us to speed through immigration. This is one where we needed our Global Entry Card in our possession and there are no special Global Entry Kiosks. But there was a dedicated area for Global Entry. Depending on factors such as the size of the ship it can save quite a bit of time. Right now only offered at Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades). Hopefully in time it will expand.

Finally on our recent flight from Vancouver back to the USA. Global Entry also gave us a Nexus Benefit. In terms of security we were able to go on a much shorter line and there were dedicated kiosks for us to use as part of clearing USA immigration/customs. We also needed our Global Entry Car with us.

We are very pleased that we have this card and enjoy getting benefits that are beyond just the speed of clearing customs/immigration beyond just Global Entry.

As to the timing of this it can vary.

For us, about one week after we applied for Global Entry on line we each received preliminary approval. We then had 30 days to schedule an interview. NOTE: 30 days is to schedule the interview but not to have the actual interview. The timing of the interviews will vary by airport. We couldn't even get an interview at our local airport and instead had to schedule one at an airport 2 and 1/2 hours from here. The interview was very simple. They took our photo, and our finger prints and explained how we would use the program. The person we had said that if we had visited a country that she had concerns about she might have asked questions related to that. Very simple process. Card arrive around one week after that and we just had to go on line after receiving it.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

How often do you fly? If your flight is many months away it sounds like maybe you only fly occasionally??? If that's the case, I'd think about whether it's worth the month and the time to get either, vs. just planning ahead and allowing extra time for security and immingration/customs. If you fly frequently that's another story.

How often do you fly? If your flight is many months away it sounds like maybe you only fly occasionally??? If that's the case, I'd think about whether it's worth the month and the time to get either, vs. just planning ahead and allowing extra time for security and immingration/customs. If you fly frequently that's another story.

Even at $20 a year, I think the savings in time and hassle are well worth it. It's not just allowing extra time, it's spending that extra time in long line ups and crowded airport concourses.

My girlfriend just got Global Entry and from application to interview/approval was 5 weeks, this was in the NYC area.

I can't believe any wouldn't sign up for GE but as a personal beef I think you should need to demonstrate in some form that you are a reasonably regular traveller to be eligible to avoid gumming up the lines. When I signed up for IRIS (the UK's nearest equivalent to GE) back in the mid 2000s the guy I spoke with wanted to see some evidence about my travel patterns. Luckily I hadn't emptied the boarding passes from my bag for about a month, a month when I'd taken about 40 flights and I had three top tier elite status frequent flyer cards on me too.

Even at $20 a year, I think the savings in time and hassle are well worth it. It's not just allowing extra time, it's spending that extra time in long line ups and crowded airport concourses.

Everyone decides what is worth it to them. Maybe it's worth it for the poster in question, but maybe not.

OP - depending where you are in New England, you might find that you can conveniently reach an office where they do NEXUS enrolment, not just GE. If that's the case, do it - it's not only half the price ($50) but combines all the benefits of TSA pre and Global Entry PLUS unique-to-NEXUS features like the dedicated lanes at road borders to Canada. Even if you never plan to drive to Canada, you'll get access to NEXUS kiosks on inbound flights not just the outbound-to-the-US ones which Keith noted above...

The interview can take months. But you sometimes can jump to the front if you go to the office and wait for no shows. When I renewed my GE last year I did this at IAD. I was not alone.

Application was approved in about a month. It is the interview that is taking months. I just looked and Boston has slots open in Jan 2017 and Providence in Dec 2016. We booked our July interviews in January!

That being said, we know this will be worth the wait.

We r from Western MA. 2 years ago when we applied for GE it was months to get an interview in Boston or upstate NY. Hartford didn't do interviews. However we were able to get an appointment at JFK in NY within a few weeks. We went to the city had a nice dinner, stay at Priceline hotel and took a shuttle to JFK the next morning. Totally worth it. There a few foreign countries that use it. Nice surprise when we landed in New Zealand and there was a separate line for GOES. So glad we got it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We applied about a year ago. Approval was quick, like a week. Took use a few weeks to find the time for the interview but it was easy to schedule then at EWR. We had the option of doing it at LAS but the wait there for a slot was much longer. We had been getting TSA Pre from United with our Premier Status but they keep saying that is going away so we are happy that it always shows up with United now because they have our known traveler info on file. The first time we used Global Entry we flew thru in about 10 minutes from kisok to out the door. People without it were online for over an hour...Spend the money, it is well worth it even if you just travel a few times a year. I am going to guess that the application process is longer now with all of the mess that TSA has created in the past few months. We have only been on 3 flights in the past few months but we breezed through with GE/TSA Pre

Assuming you can do this, but I just wanted to make sure.

I already have 4 flights booked- PIT to FLL, FLL to PIT, PIT to SJU and SJU to PIT and soon booking more flights.

I plan on applying for TSA precheck this weekend. Once approved (assuming) can I call the airlines and add the KTN to my existing flights without hassle?

Assuming you can do this, but I just wanted to make sure.

I already have 4 flights booked- PIT to FLL, FLL to PIT, PIT to SJU and SJU to PIT and soon booking more flights.

I plan on applying for TSA precheck this weekend. Once approved (assuming) can I call the airlines and add the KTN to my existing flights without hassle?

You might not even need to call. My girlfriend got her KTN and entered it on to her frequent flyer profile online right after the GE interview, she had a flight the next day so checked in for it then and got TSA Pre. Could be a coincidence...

Just go on line and add it.

Know this

TSA Pre-Check does not guarantee pre-check.

The system is still set up to randomly make you go through the regular line. I've had pre-check listed on my boarding pass, get to the front of the line,,, no 3 beeps and green light, 2 beeps and a red light. TSA agent directing me to the full scan line

Just go on line and add it.

Know this

TSA Pre-Check does not guarantee pre-check.

The system is still set up to randomly make you go through the regular line. I've had pre-check listed on my boarding pass, get to the front of the line,,, no 3 beeps and green light, 2 beeps and a red light. TSA agent directing me to the full scan line

Weird. I've taken maybe 200 flights since I got Pre and not once have I not had it on my BP, and not once have I been required to go through the full scan (unless it's a not fully Pre airport and there's just "expedited screening")

Great - thanks all! Yes, I looked up the reservations online and saw they have an area to add it! I have to give JB and SW a call. For some reason I remember being in a rush booking these and forgot to include my middle name. I'm gonna call and have them add it to the ticket so it matches my profile and my TSA pre check info.