$$$ Seattle Hotels?

I have been researching Seattle hotels in anticipation of an Alaska Cruise in 2019. What I found is jaw dropping. Are Seattle hotels always so expensive? Where is a good area to stay? DH has some mobility issues so want to be convenient to restaurants and other attractions.

Thank you!

You have to realize that our tourist season is a very short one here. They are going to charge high during those months. If wanting to save money, there is the option of staying in the Space Needle area, which is a little less, or the airport, which is probably the least expensive place to stay.

The land over towards the Seattle Center (north of downtown a bit) is less hilly than the downtown core which is very hilly. Used to be a hill there but way back they washed most of it into Puget Sound and later hauled the rest away. Called the Denny Regrade when Denny Hill went away. Monorail from the Center goes downtown to an area with lots of dining options and not too much hill a few blocks from Pike Place Market.

Airline prices also spike in cruise season.

I have been researching Seattle hotels in anticipation of an Alaska Cruise in 2019. What I found is jaw dropping. Are Seattle hotels always so expensive? Where is a good area to stay? DH has some mobility issues so want to be convenient to restaurants and other attractions.

Thank you!

2019? If Mt St Helens blows again Seattle might be gone by 2019.

You can't tell anything about rates three years from now by looking at hotels now.

What is your budget? How many nights pre-cruise are you staying? What week of the year?

If it were me, I would just put $250 per night in for hotels since you are so far out from the vacation. You can get a descent hotel for that price in the downtown area close to most everything. It completely depends on day of week for price. Our cruise from Seattle left on a Tuesday so we just needed a Monday night for hotel. We stayed at the Renaissance downtown with a beautiful corner room for only $160. Good Luck.

2019? If Mt St Helens blows again Seattle might be gone by 2019.

Let's not scare people, shall we? :p:(

OP luvscruising2007, no idea what rates will be three years from now but as mentioned, expect them to be high. Budget in other areas in anticipation of this. Will you be renting a car? If so, you can save by staying further away from downtown. If you want to stay right downtown and walk everywhere, you will pay for it.

One of our favorites is Cedarbrook Lodge by the airport - but you would never know it is at the airport. It is gorgeous. Here is the website:

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/

I have been researching Seattle hotels in anticipation of an Alaska Cruise in 2019. What I found is jaw dropping. Are Seattle hotels always so expensive?
To clarify.... do you have certain dates in mind? There may be a major festival on those dates.

Xlxo - great point. Seafair brings in a lot of people the first weekend of August (basically right now!) Labor Day weekend draws a lot of visitors for the Bumbershoot music festival at Seattle Center.

Others (mostly much smaller) can be viewed at Events

Also the Washington State Convention Center sometimes beings a lot of visitors to town. WSCC Schedule. Lists the size of the groups - for example 9/2/16 PAX West is estimated for 25,000 people.

Edited by Sequim88

Currently staying at Hampton Inn and Suites near Seattle Center pre-cruise. Highly recommend. Rates were less than those I checked downtown. Hampton rooms are good -size and very clean. Rooms have refrigerator and microwave and also guests enjoy a very good free buffet breakfast. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Very good Thai restaurant 1/2 block away plus a pizza restaurant and huge 24 hr grocery store (with lots of take-out food) a block in opposite direction. There is a shuttle service to pier also for small charge (currently &7 each). Several blocks walk to monorail and Seattle Center. My hubby uses cane and managed very well staying here. Many guests here are pre-cruisers; We would certainly stay here again.

And, it really depends on what you're looking for. Last year, to be near downtown venues, we stayed at the Fairmont and it was very pricy ($300+). This year we arrive early evening the day before the cruise so we're staying at the Crowne Plaza near the airport for $157. We'll UBER to the port in the morning.

• 3 weeks later...
And, it really depends on what you're looking for. Last year, to be near downtown venues, we stayed at the Fairmont and it was very pricy ($300+). This year we arrive early evening the day before the cruise so we're staying at the Crowne Plaza near the airport for $157. We'll UBER to the port in the morning.

Just curious..will you also Uber from the port back to the airport? Never have used Uber or Lyft but will need to nxt year for our Alaska cruise. Hoping for a quick pick up after the cruise to the airport. Any experience with this?

Currently staying at Hampton Inn and Suites near Seattle Center pre-cruise. Highly recommend. Rates were less than those I checked downtown. Hampton rooms are good -size and very clean. Rooms have refrigerator and microwave and also guests enjoy a very good free buffet breakfast. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Very good Thai restaurant 1/2 block away plus a pizza restaurant and huge 24 hr grocery store (with lots of take-out food) a block in opposite direction. There is a shuttle service to pier also for small charge (currently &7 each). Several blocks walk to monorail and Seattle Center. My hubby uses cane and managed very well staying here. Many guests here are pre-cruisers; We would certainly stay here again.

Sunngrannyd - I am looking at this hotel for precruise next Summer. How did you get from the airport to the hotel?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Is that the one on 5th Ave? We have that one booked, but got a double king room, two bedrooms two bathrooms saved us $150 over booking two separate king rooms.

Tell me more about the $7 shuttle. Just to the pier? Will they take us to the riverfront? What about airport shuttle?

Thanks!

Hi,we stayed 1 night at the Sleep inn at Seatac on the 1st Sept.we had a late flight next day and we had an all day tour,they kept our bags and when we arrived at light rail we just phoned them and they delivered our bags.They have a hot and cold buffet breakfast.The shuttle also takes you to any restaurant or mall in a 2 mile radius free.Very impressed,cheers,Brian.

Thank you!

I stayed downtown a couple of months ago, never again. Downtown Seattle was filed with Homeless people and aggressive panhandlers. The whole area smelled of Urine and rotting garbage. I will be staying at the airport or surrounding cities in the future. Would be able to rent a car and the hotel are considerable cheaper than the high price hotels in downtown Seattle.

I stayed downtown a couple of months ago, never again. Downtown Seattle was filed with Homeless people and aggressive panhandlers. The whole area smelled of Urine and rotting garbage. I will be staying at the airport or surrounding cities in the future. Would be able to rent a car and the hotel are considerable cheaper than the high price hotels in downtown Seattle.

I am sure the hotels in NYC are even more $$ than Seattle. I live in the Boston area and they are also pricey.

Hotels know that the Summer season is cruise season. Supply & demand.

Are there no homeless people or panhandlers in NYC?

I am sure the hotels in NYC are even more $$ than Seattle. I live in the Boston area and they are also pricey.... Hotels know that the Summer season is cruise season. Supply & demand... Are there no homeless people or panhandlers in NYC?

Thank you jonsmom, agree with every word. ;)

cheone and others, this board is a great place to do research before booking a hotel in downtown Seattle. As mentioned by myself and a few others there are alternatives. It's not necessary to stay right downtown.

I did a lot of searching for our upcoming cruise. Booked at Comfort Inn and Suites, 1/2 hr drive up Aurora Ave (#99) from downtown. Include light hot breakfast, free parking for $148 CAD. (since we're coming from Canada, didn't want to go all the way to airport area). Then, closer to sail date I watched pricing and found a good deal at Staybridge Suites in the Lake Union area, which is the area I actually wanted to be. It was $220 CAD, $15 parking with a full hot breakfast and free shuttle to and from anywhere we want to go within Seattle Downtown area. So we are visiting Pike Place Market day before cruise. This place also has a nice rooftop terrace for you to relax and enjoy the view of Lake Union and downtown.

Also, while searching hotels on their website for "deals", The Crown Plaza has a deal for "Canadian Shoppers", $189 - $260 (depending on dates) that include parking during your stay and breakfast for 2. Its close to most downtown sightseeing.

Edited by Semi Retired

• 4 weeks later...
Can you share which hotel you were at? Or the nearest Seattle intersection?

We stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square Hotel. The hotel warned us about going out after dark. Next time we will stay at SEATAC. Seattle was the filthiest city I have ever seen. Feces on the sidewalks, tons of homeless and crazy people. It seemed like it was better 5 blocks north where all of the major hotels are located but for the price I will be staying at Sea TAC, you can a room and a rental car, half what it would cost you downtown.

You could stay in Renton, which is right outside of Seattle in the brand new hotel that is being built right on Lake Washington.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2014/09/in-a-nod-to-seahawks-new-180m-renton-hotel-has-12.html

The Landing is next door, with plenty of dining and entertainment options, and a beautiful park and waterfront dining (if you like fried seafood or burgers)next door also.

I agree that downtown Seattle has become a filthy cesspool. I haven't bothered to go downtown in years. I spend a lot of my evenings on the Eastside in Bellevue. Bellevue is also a great option for much cheaper stays in wonderful hotels with lots of dining and entertainment options at Lincoln Town Center. And Bellevue is just a bridge away from Seattle.