Does Crystal Engage in False Advertising?

njguy_south

I am concerned that Crystal Cruise Line may be engaging in false advertising -- or minimally is grossly mismanaged.

While this may involve their river cruise product, I have also had an issue with their ocean cruise advertisement. (I was once booked and paid to sail on a cruise advertised as a food and wine cruise, only to have it changed to a jazz cruise. While I realize that things sometimes change, the theme of a cruise is often why one chooses to sail a particular cruise.)

Currently, I am booked on the Crystal Mozart's holiday cruise, leaving Vienna on Dec. 23, 2017. I emailed the company to ask a question about the Michelin restaurant amenity, only to receive the following response -- direct from Crystal:

Due to the Holidays the Michelin restaurants are not able to accommodate our guests. Please rest assured that we will have a Holiday Dinner onboard with onboard entertainment as we normally would.

I am absolutely dumbfounded that Crystal would give such an answer. Offering this amenity is something Crystal uses to set itself apart from their competition. Additionally, they continue to advertise the amenity for this same cruise and for holiday cruises in 2018!

I am currently waiting to hear more from the company about how this amenity can continue to be advertised, yet they know they cannot deliver.

I am concerned that Crystal Cruise Line may be engaging in false advertising -- or minimally is grossly mismanaged.

While this may involve their river cruise product, I have also had an issue with their ocean cruise advertisement. (I was once booked and paid to sail on a cruise advertised as a food and wine cruise, only to have it changed to a jazz cruise. While I realize that things sometimes change, the theme of a cruise is often why one chooses to sail a particular cruise.)

Currently, I am booked on the Crystal Mozart's holiday cruise, leaving Vienna on Dec. 23, 2017. I emailed the company to ask a question about the Michelin restaurant amenity, only to receive the following response -- direct from Crystal:

Due to the Holidays the Michelin restaurants are not able to accommodate our guests. Please rest assured that we will have a Holiday Dinner onboard with onboard entertainment as we normally would.

I am absolutely dumbfounded that Crystal would give such an answer. Offering this amenity is something Crystal uses to set itself apart from their competition. Additionally, they continue to advertise the amenity for this same cruise and for holiday cruises in 2018!

I am currently waiting to hear more from the company about how this amenity can continue to be advertised, yet they know they cannot deliver.

Have you heard the old Dionne Warwick song? I am dating myself LOL. Promises, promises I'm all through with promises, promises.

You are not alone. Many on here and I think the majority are tired of all these mistakes with information. Only a few people will defend Crystal's decisions and many silly mistakes made in their distribution and media. Terrible editing and misspellings and advertising. We have caught many over the last couple of years in their brochures. How do these people retain their jobs is beyond me.

Edited by Drdleo56

Guess it is time to move to another line which you think will provide the type of advertizing and themes that actually sail.

Sorry that they have disappointed you and others with changes.

bon voyage

A change is not the same as an amenity, advertised as something to set the cruise or cruise line apart from the others, that is then not offered. To change a port is one thing -- it happens all the time. The entertainment can be changed. But to state in your advertising that a cruise will be a Food and Wine Cruise, and state all of the fabulous things that go along with that, and then AFTER the final payment to change the total venue to Jazz is something else. Also, to entice people to come to Crystal to enjoy fine dining in Michelin restaurants, and while still advertising it on their website (or websites, depending on which version you are looking at), is not change -- it is clearly falsely advertising.

I find it rudely condescending to simply flip me off with "bon voyage," when I have attempted a serious discussion, and one the Crystal needs to hear.

On the same theme but another cruise bait and switch?

When we booked our little Caribbean Cachet cruise for November the website listed "complimentary" for two excursions. Very clearly the price was written as complimentary. It was both on the legacy and the main site. I asked my TA about it and she said "they are experimenting with it". Well low and behold as SOON as I asked about it presto chango. The two free excursions disappeared. They then reappeared full price. Now this is not a deal breaker but it IS false advertising. Am I going to push them about it? I may drop Eddie and email. I don't know yet.

What would you do if anything?

There is probably something in the small print that covers them for legal reasons.

On a practical note - Michelin star restaurants only exist in Budapest and Vienna.

The overnight stop is Budapest is on Dec 31 and a Sunday. The restaurant will be closed or opened for expensive gala dinners only. I know as a fact that the Wine Kitchen in Budapest was closed on 31 Dec 2016 as I walked outside at lunchtime. Clearly Crystal did not do their homework and sort this out early enough if you are only finding out about this now. This is the typical problem with Crystal's management currently.

The alternative is Vienna. In January 2017, only Le Ciel and one other restaurant was open. Budapest was cancelled because the night was changed for logistical reason at the last minute (the Mozart was unable to sail to Budapest due to the low water levels) at the last moment. I am aware that two coaches turned up at Le Ciel for dinner (so around 70? people) and there were loads of complaints about the meal that night. I do not think the posh restaurant could cope that number of people sitting down at the same time even if they are on the same menu. Alternatively, the main chefs had started their vacation (this is Europe after all) leaving the junior chefs to cope. Many fellow guests did say the food on the Mozart was way better than at Le Ciel that night.

I am not making excuses for Crystal. I am the only Cruise Critic poster on last year's holiday cruise on the Mozart. So I can quote the facts from my own experience.

It is a one Michelin star restaurant. Many people do not really appreciate what this means; i.e. the food is good but the restaurant ambience is not considered. There is a massive difference between one and two star establishment. In Singapore, there are a couple of one star venues where queueing is a normal part of the dining experience since reservations are not taken. In Budapest venues, the tables at Crystal choices do not even have table cloths.

I thought thought my Michelin Star restaurant was acceptable but would agree the Mozart's kitchen and servers were better. The meal is not a la carte but is a fixed three course meal without choices. This is not their regular fixed menu one either. It is one put together for Crystal to keep to the agreed cost base.

I arranged and paid for my own two star dinner at Stereick which has been rated

top ten in the world. Now that is a true mind blowinrg experience.

Is the Op reading too much into what the Michelin restaurant involves? Probably. The choices are to cancel and rebook a non-holiday cruise or book your own gala New Years Eve restaurant that night. Personally, I would say you get a fanstatic New Year Eve's meal on board.

Personally, we had a blast on board for New Year's Eve. Crystal flew in entertainers in addition to their usual evening programming and did not rely on local acts. The party atmosphere was great and the night was a success and memorable.

On the same theme but another cruise bait and switch?

When we booked our little Caribbean Cachet cruise for November the website listed "complimentary" for two excursions. Very clearly the price was written as complimentary. It was both on the legacy and the main site. I asked my TA about it and she said "they are experimenting with it". Well low and behold as SOON as I asked about it presto chango. The two free excursions disappeared. They then reappeared full price. Now this is not a deal breaker but it IS false advertising. Am I going to push them about it? I may drop Eddie and email. I don't know yet.

What would you do if anything?

It would definitely be worth an email up the food chain, for sure. Especially if there are tours you would have selected before the disappearance. That way you can definitely mention them and quite possibly you may be able to get them.

bon voyage...

There is probably something in the small print that covers them for legal reasons.

On a practical note - Michelin star restaurants only exist in Budapest and Vienna.

The overnight stop is Budapest is on Dec 31 and a Sunday. The restaurant will be closed or opened for expensive gala dinners only. I know as a fact that the Wine Kitchen in Budapest was closed on 31 Dec 2016 as I walked outside at lunchtime. Clearly Crystal did not do their homework and sort this out early enough if you are only finding out about this now. This is the typical problem with Crystal's management currently.

The alternative is Vienna. In January 2017, only Le Ciel and one other restaurant was open. Budapest was cancelled because the night was changed for logistical reason at the last minute (the Mozart was unable to sail to Budapest due to the low water levels) at the last moment. I am aware that two coaches turned up at Le Ciel for dinner (so around 70? people) and there were loads of complaints about the meal that night. I do not think the posh restaurant could cope that number of people sitting down at the same time even if they are on the same menu. Alternatively, the main chefs had started their vacation (this is Europe after all) leaving the junior chefs to cope. Many fellow guests did say the food on the Mozart was way better than at Le Ciel that night.

I am not making excuses for Crystal. I am the only Cruise Critic poster on last year's holiday cruise on the Mozart. So I can quote the facts from my own experience.

It is a one Michelin star restaurant. Many people do not really appreciate what this means; i.e. the food is good but the restaurant ambience is not considered. There is a massive difference between one and two star establishment. In Singapore, there are a couple of one star venues where queueing is a normal part of the dining experience since reservations are not taken. In Budapest venues, the tables at Crystal choices do not even have table cloths.

I thought thought my Michelin Star restaurant was acceptable but would agree the Mozart's kitchen and servers were better. The meal is not a la carte but is a fixed three course meal without choices. This is not their regular fixed menu one either. It is one put together for Crystal to keep to the agreed cost base.

I arranged and paid for my own two star dinner at Stereick which has been rated

top ten in the world. Now that is a true mind blowinrg experience.

Is the Op reading too much into what the Michelin restaurant involves? Probably. The choices are to cancel and rebook a non-holiday cruise or book your own gala New Years Eve restaurant that night. Personally, I would say you get a fanstatic New Year Eve's meal on board.

Personally, we had a blast on board for New Year's Eve. Crystal flew in entertainers in addition to their usual evening programming and did not rely on local acts. The party atmosphere was great and the night was a success and memorable.

j3 - thank you for relating your first hand experience on this....

bon voyage

A change is not the same as an amenity, advertised as something to set the cruise or cruise line apart from the others, that is then not offered. To change a port is one thing -- it happens all the time. The entertainment can be changed. But to state in your advertising that a cruise will be a Food and Wine Cruise, and state all of the fabulous things that go along with that, and then AFTER the final payment to change the total venue to Jazz is something else. Also, to entice people to come to Crystal to enjoy fine dining in Michelin restaurants, and while still advertising it on their website (or websites, depending on which version you are looking at), is not change -- it is clearly falsely advertising.

I find it rudely condescending to simply flip me off with "bon voyage," when I have attempted a serious discussion, and one the Crystal needs to hear.

I agree and it's a sad commentary that anyone is dissed and dismissed if they post as you did.

We have two WC's booked 2018-2019 what is the next shoe that will drop? We heard that last years WC in Sydney for New Years was a disaster and laughable for a six star cruise line. What does Edie do besides being the face of Crystal? Thankfully the crew are still excellent as well as the service but it should go beyond the onboard experience.

People do book cruises because of themes either Jazz, Food, Broadway etc and then end up not having that experience.

njguy-south,

I am sorry to hear this and I understand your disappointment. Certainly an oversight that should not have happened. I am a bit puzzled to read this actually as I would have expected Crystal and the restaurant management to have handled this in a contract for the whole season from the start. I see the fault here with the restaurant management, as well. For reasons like illness, and other major unforseen disruptions it is perfectly understandable to have to make adjustments but with the fame and standing that comes from the ocean cruises and is supposed to be carried over to the river cruises come expectations by future river cruisers. Sadly, this is an understandable disappointment, especially if the river cruise has been booked with the michelin restaurants specifically in mind. It is well known that restaurants will have special plans for holidays - Christmas - resulting in cruises that can differ from the rest of the season. Not too good if (as it seems) not agreed upon before advertising goes out to the public. I wonder if you could get a token for your disappointment from Crystal, I think it will diminish the enjoyment of your cruise potentially, although a dinner onboard I am sure is great.

On a different note, this is the second thread about Crystal river cruising that has suddenly appeared here having come from the ocean cruising boards. A little confusing to read at first. It will stay confusing if ocean cruise-related topics are thrown into posts. But I will get my head round it, probably others are more used to it.

You could have the title thread changed by our host to show that you are relating to river cruising but there is no obligation to have this done whatsoever.

Hope you can find a satisfactory outcome to this and very much enjoy your cruise.

notamermaid

To be sure all who do not know or understand the phrase 'bon voyage', it basically means good journey or safe travels, nothing more OR nothing less... regardless of which journey it is.

It is something I place in each and every posting I make and I do mean that one needs to have a good journey, regardless.

My apologies if you believe you were dissed or dismissed, never the intent with the message 'have a good journey' or safe travels is the equivalent, save I use bon voyage....

Were I wanting to diss or dismiss someone, I can write or state that clearly and succinctly. As such, there was/is no intent or desire to do that at all, in this post.

bon voyage

On a different note, this is the second thread about Crystal river cruising that has suddenly appeared here having come from the ocean cruising boards. A little confusing to read at first. It will stay confusing if ocean cruise-related topics are thrown into posts. But I will get my head round it, probably others are more used to it.

You could have the title thread changed by our host to show that you are relating to river cruising but there is no obligation to have this done whatsoever.

Crystal posters are still getting used to the idea that Crystal's river ship threads will be here, while the ocean [and presumably yacht -- but who knows about the private jet?] threads will be in the Crystal forum [same as Scenic and Viking, by the way]. It would help if threads about Crystal river cruises mention 'Crystal' in the title, and preferably the name of the particular itinerary as well -- that would prevent confusion, and get the attention of non-Crystal river cruisers who might have helpful information about rivers, itineraries and ports.

Crystal posters are still getting used to the idea that Crystal's river ship threads will be here...

I guess we will soon have the same issue with Fred Olsen as they too have started selling river cruises, initially using chartered ships...

While I understand that as travelers we need to be flexible and accepting of certain changes, maybe a hotel pre or post cruise switch, or a port change, but in this case I have to admit that the OP has a point. While maybe not a negative change, if the food on ship is better than the restaurant, still a significant change in that the OP had a desire to dine at a Michelin starred restaurant and possibly based their booking decision on this. Crystal is not inexpensive by any means, and they use their highlights as ways to differentiate themselves from the pack. If these highlights are not really part of the product being offered, this is misleading and disappointing.

Here is what Crystal posts about this very cruise and all of its river cruises:

"Unique, compelling and life-enhancing, the Michelin-starred Culinary Experiences offered complimentary on every Crystal River Cruises voyage are among the most defining aspects of the All Exclusive Crystal Experience®; no other river cruise company comes close to the all-inclusive standards of innovative excellence as does Crystal River Cruises. Sharing the same standards of innovative excellence, we partnered with a handful of carefully selected Michelin-starred restaurants in most of our European river cruise destinations to bring our guests unrivaled opportunities to creative moments of a lifetime, all day, every day."

Just to share their own advertising!

I understand your disappointment and agree that Crystal needed to add a footnote that they were unable to secure reservations at the Michelin restaurants for the holiday cruise. On their 2017 Michelin calendar, they do not show any restaurant dates for the holiday cruise:

http://legacy.crystalcruises.com/files/download/2017_Michelin_Star_Restaurant_Dates_Time_FINAL.pdf

The link to this pdf file is through this website:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-mozart-2017-michelin-starred-culinary-experiences

I do agree with you that this exception needs to be noted and highlighted on the web pages for any impacted voyages to avoid disappointment to anyone who books expecting the Michelin restaurant experience. However, I would not let this one issue prompt you to cancel your holiday voyage, which I am sure Crystal will make delightful.

We sailed on two back to back Danube voyages in May on the Mozart. The first itinerary took us to Eastern Europe. The next one sailed through Central Europe. We visited one Michelin restaurant on each voyage. In Budapest we visited Costes (not the downtown one), and it was an extraordinary experience for someone who enjoys innovative cuisine. We were in heaven! However the cuisine was a bit too far out of the comfort zone of some of our fellow diners. In Vienna we dined at Le Ciel, and the food was fine, but not particularly memorable. There were guests on both voyages that in hindsight wished they had stayed onboard, because the food and service on the Mozart are wonderful! This is a high compliment to the chefs and wait staff onboard the Mozart.

Crystal on the whole has done a fantastic job of creating an outstanding river cruise experience. :) I would not let Crystal's inability to secure reservations at the Michelin restaurants for the holiday cruise deter you from an otherwise great cruising experience.

New Years Eve in Budapest! Most likely watching fireworks from the boat on the river at midnight...! Wow! I am envious!

I agree this is false advertising and it makes me scared to book with Crystal because I would especially choose a food and wine cruise and I sure as heck would NOT want to go on a jazz cruise instead. I'm also not too thrilled to hear about the type of Michelin restaurants they choose and the fact that they have a set menu based on Crystal's budget. Not cool at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went online to book some excursions for the holiday cruise on Mozart and noticed that a LARGE NUMBER of excursions initially shown are no longer offered!

Also, they continue to advertise the Michelin restaurant amenity as part of their online information re: the upcoming tour!!!

Is this simply sloppy web management or more?

I certainly expect more from Crystal and definitely feel they are declining in the service I have experienced in the past and are diminishing the product they have offered in the past!

I just went online to book some excursions for the holiday cruise on Mozart and noticed that a LARGE NUMBER of excursions initially shown are no longer offered!

Are you comparing a list of shore excursions on the web page against the list of shore excursions on PCPC where you book? Which voyage are you on?

The shore excursion on the main voyage webpage are excursions generally available on the route. PCPC listed excursions are those applicable to your cruise. The issue is that on different river voyages, the times you are docked change. For example, on our Sep Mozart cruises, we only dock late afternoon at Bratislava so many excursions like horse riding by the river are not available since we dock so late. The supplier can no longer fit the excursion in.

I also misunderstood what PCPC showed on a backstage tour of the Vienna State Opera. It showed as being waitlisted so I thought it was full and did not bother expressing an interest by being on the wait-list. Then they cancelled the excursion on the grounds of insufficient interest! I mean how confusing. I was going to book 4 places on that tour. So much for Crystal's profitability since that was a paid excursion.

Again, the Crystal web-site is badly letting customers down with incorrect or unclear information.

In Vienna, we are doing an opera at the

Having said that, when I was on Uniworld a couple of years ago, you only found out about excursions on embarkation day. No information and booking permitted on line. So at least that is an advantage.

There were several better excursions offered in 2016 which are no longer offered in 2017 which is a shame. In 2016, Crystal booked out a room at the Cafe Sacher so we did not have to queue. That was a big plus although not many people did the tour (and it was complimentary too despite the fact that there was coffee and cake along provided between the cheese and meats during wine tasting elsewhere).

Anyway, I have booked a few excursions on our own in Vienna since these are not available with Crystal but to me are "must dos" in Vienna.

- Mozart Opera at the Vienna State Opera

- Spanish Riding School show (mainly weekends)

- Vienna Boys' Choir

- Strudelling making class (plus lunch)

I have since learnt to make the most of our time while there and not bother making too much of what Crystal offers or not. Crystal's offering at least equal to what Viking/Uniworld offer and often is substantially better if you have experience these cruise lines.

Edited by JohnKen3

Thank you for the clarification because, yes, it was when I logged in to select the excursions available on our tour.

However, it still doesn't explain the offering of the cancellation of the Michelin Star restaurant experiences.

Take care,

Walt

If you are going to let the cancellation of the Michelin Star restaurant experiences grate on your mind and spoil your cruise experience, isn't better to cancel the cruise.

We once booked a Playbill Charter on the Paul Gauguin advertised with 12 top Broadway names we were very attracted to. We book the cruise because we wanted the Broadway experience and cruising Polynesia was a nice secondary attraction.

Two weeks before the cruise, the 11th of the twelve names had cancelled and been replaced by other names we did not consider to be of the same calibre. Yes only one of the originally advertised names turned up for the cruise. Even one of the replacement names pulled out at the last minute. We decided at the stage that we would be miserable on the cruise being disgruntle throughout the cruise. Why pay good money to be miserable and annoyed to go on a vacation ?!! Life is too short to harp on about first world problems.

We complained and reached and agreement where we lost some of the fare but not all of it. I re-arranged a land holiday at very short notice.

There was no way I was going to be trapped on a cruise just to be miserable about not getting what I wanted. There is still ample time to get a full refund on the Crystal fare element since it is still more than three months before the cruise.

Edited by JohnKen3