Really Stupid Question

Hi all! Cathy's DH Mike here.

I just learned to swim this year, and Cathy is not a particularly strong swimmer. We have gone snorkeling before at a place called Baby Beach in Aruba which is so salinic you could float on an inch of water.

We were thinking about trying snorkeling in the Caribbean (maybe St Marten or St John or Barbados, not sure yet.)

So my question is if we took a snorkeling excursion, are you given some sort of flotation device if you aren't a good swimmer?

'flotation devices' are intended to be safety devices

if you depend on them to become comfortable, the safety factor is gone ....

you see many folks who say DO what you propose

as a lifeguard with 40 years experience I say NO

I would argue you are with others, you are a swimmer now, just not a strong one. Just don't put yourself in a situation where you are 100 yards from other people, stay with the group and if you get tired swimming allow the flotation vests to give you a rest. Stay with others and use common sense.

Thanks for your responses. We've decided to compromise. We decided we are not going to go on a snorkeling excursion. Instead, we found that two of the islands we are going to have snorkeling right off the beach. One of them (I think St. John's) actually has a path that you can follow which is no deeper than 18ft. We also decided however to use a snorkeling flotation device as well. So between what we think will be calmer waters, a flotation device and the fact we will be close to shore, we should be ok.