Have questions about cruising with MSC Cruises

ictdco

We usually cruise with Holland America. We're thinking of trying MSC out so we'd like to know, since their prices appear to be inexpensive compared to Holland America, if MSC is an all-inclusive,excluding excursions, as is Holland or if one should be prepared to pay for a bill at the end of a cruise.

What about tipping.

What is the differences in the prices between the four or five categories listed at MSC's website.

Overall is MSC worth the time and the cost?

We've cruised HAL 6 times and MSC once. We have 2 upcoming on MSC and 1 upcoming on HAL. We are easy going people who can adapt to most situations. With that said, we have found MSC to be on the same level as HAL. However, MSC is geared towards Europeans whereas HAL caters to Americans. This will make a difference in your experience but not necessarily a negative one. It depends on what you can adapt to. Do you enjoy Italian food? Long dinners? Cultural experiences?

MSC Poesia is the most beautiful ship we have been on although HAL Konigsdam is a very close second!

For the price, MSC is hard to beat.

Tipping is similar.

MSC categories give you added perks that you should review before you book. Bella is basic. Fantastica provides better cabin selections and some drink vouchers.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Forums mobile app

We usually cruise with Holland America. We're thinking of trying MSC out so we'd like to know, since their prices appear to be inexpensive compared to Holland America, if MSC is an all-inclusive,excluding excursions, as is Holland or if one should be prepared to pay for a bill at the end of a cruise.

What about tipping.

What is the differences in the prices between the four or five categories listed at MSC's website.

Holland is all inclusive now? :confused:

Holland is all inclusive now? :confused:

Well, I'm not sure what is meant by all inclusive. To me, all inclusive is what we've experienced on HAL: we pay extra for onboard shopping, some restaurants, excursions, beverage cards--everything else is taken care of--including tips.

We prefer not to have to worry or think about additional costs when we're on board, and we don't like being nickle and dimed to death.

Right. Don't you pay gratuities, for specialty restaurants, drinks, etc. on HAL? They're not all-inclusive.

I'm pretty sure we've paid a daily tip that HAL distributes to the appropriate staff. I have never seen or maybe just not noticed a tip jar or gotten the impression that more was expected by staff. We've always been appreciative of the service we've received although we've never had occasion to think someone was going above and beyond what should be expected.

However, MSC is geared towards Europeans whereas HAL caters to Americans.

Think I would disagree with your idea that it is geared towards Europeans tho maybe the dining might appeal to Italians.

MSC are falling over backwards to try and claw a place in the US Cruise market. If Europeans book on MSC ship they dont get any of the perks - no included excursions no drinks vouchers included in the Fantastica package. Meet and Mingle ONLY on

the Divinia ported in the US, Drinks packages said to be available in the caribbean were only available if you were on a ship sailing from mainland US.

I'm pretty sure we've paid a daily tip that HAL distributes to the appropriate staff. I have never seen or maybe just not noticed a tip jar or gotten the impression that more was expected by staff. We've always been appreciative of the service we've received although we've never had occasion to think someone was going above and beyond what should be expected.

We have cruised HAL since 4/95 and cruised MSC in the Caribbean since 1/06. At one time TAs would indicated/imply that tipping on HAL was not required since it was already included in the cost of the cruise. However, that was not true. In fact, during the disembarkation briefing the Cruise Director would mention that if you wanted to tip, they would appreciate it. Years later HAL started to ask that people would tip. So, HAL is like all the other cruise lines in the way of tipping, Specialty Restaurants, etc., in the way of extra charges.

We remember when the Pinnacle Grill on HAL first came out. It was free for the first visit during your cruise. Now, I think they charge just like the others do.

As for MSC, it has been in the Caribbean when the old CEO from Celebrity took over MSC Caribbean operation back in 2006?. I can't remember his name. But he tried to make MSC in the Caribbean just like the other cruise lines that operated in the Caribbean.

People say the MSC is trying to become more American in the Caribbean. We think that MSC is no different than any other cruise line that operates in the Caribbean with the exception of the many languages they use when they make announcements. The food may seem more Italian in the way of pizza, pasta, etc., and they do not really have comedy entertainment due to the languages.

Bang for the buck, is really MSC. They allow you to choose what you really want to add to your cost such as drink packages, and other things based on the cabin categories. MSC has some beautiful ships such as the Divina. Price an MSC cruise then price a Celebrity cruise and see the difference.

Celebrity does provide packaging prices now and started that maybe a year or so ago. So do other cruise lines. They are all taking the same approach. Build your own package to suit your needs/desires.

Regal, Seaborne, Crystal, etc., are inclusive and you pay the extra up front. Cruise lines such as RCI, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, etc., are not inclusive. They allow you to decide what you want in the way of drink packages, etc.

Many people have a favorite cruise line. Each cruise line offers something for everyone. We cruise most of them and enjoy them all.

Try MSC! Go with a positive attitude. Remember, it is your money, your cruise and your opinion that counts when you book your next cruise. No one can tell you what you will like of dislike. They are telling you what they liked or disliked. Happy Cruising!

Dont know but remember if you have a high "rating"

with HAL or another line or even a hotel or airline

MSC will status match you and whatever level they come up with you are guaranteed 5% off first cruise and I think they maintain that if you cruise with them

at least once every 2 years.

May not amount to much( It is on the basic cruise price) but you can put it towards whatever the extras are that you want.

Dont know but remember if you have a high "rating"

with HAL or another line or even a hotel or airline

MSC will status match you and whatever level they come up with you are guaranteed 5% off first cruise and I think they maintain that if you cruise with them

at least once every 2 years.

May not amount to much( It is on the basic cruise price) but you can put it towards whatever the extras are that you want.

True! If your Diamond +, Elite+ or Elite they will give you Black status, their highest status. That gets you two FREE meals in their Specialty Restaurants, plus a free picture, first boarding, etc. You cannot go wrong since it is a cruise.

We've sailed on both HAL and MSC. In my opinion, HAL is a more refined cruise line which provides more attention to detail, as well as a more elegant and subdued experience. MSC has beautiful ships, but it's a budget minded cruise experience catering to a different demographic than HAL. They feel different, from cuisine, to entertainment, to the level of service provided.

As far as what's included in the cruise fare, both are pretty similar. However, keep in mind that MSC has various classes of service (Bella, Fantástica, Áurea, and Wellness) and what's included in the price will vary from one class to another. In addition to that, MSC offers the Yacht Club which offers a more personal and upscale experience with even more perks included, as well as separate venues exclusive for those passengers booked in this type of accommodation.

Read closely what each class of service offers and decide for yourself if upgrading is worth it to you. When we sailed on MSC, we opted for a Fantástica balcony because of the enhanced kids program and, more importantly, because of location. Bella balconies were located in less desirable areas (mostly near or above noisy lounges or the night club) so we decided that the money to upgrade to a Fantástica stateroom would be well worth it.

Overall, we enjoyed our cruise on MSC but in a different way than our HAL cruise. As mentioned above, it felt more like a budget minded experience, but for what we paid for that cruise, it's hard to complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I'm not sure what is meant by all inclusive. To me, all inclusive is what we've experienced on HAL: we pay extra for onboard shopping, some restaurants, excursions, beverage cards--everything else is taken care of--including tips.

We prefer not to have to worry or think about additional costs when we're on board, and we don't like being nickle and dimed to death.

there is no such a thing all or not all , what is matter is total amount . On Hal you just pay more right away for tips and on MSC you pay on board . Just add your totals by the end and see what is best deal for you.

We've sailed on both HAL and MSC. In my opinion, HAL is a more refined cruise line which provides more attention to detail, as well as a more elegant and subdued experience. MSC has beautiful ships, but it's a budget minded cruise experience catering to a different demographic than HAL. They feel different, from cuisine, to entertainment, to the level of service provided.

As far as what's included in the cruise fare, both are pretty similar. However, keep in mind that MSC has various classes of service (Bella, Fantástica, Áurea, and Wellness) and what's included in the price will vary from one class to another. In addition to that, MSC offers the Yacht Club which offers a more personal and upscale experience with even more perks included, as well as separate venues exclusive for those passengers booked in this type of accommodation.

Read closely what each class of service offers and decide for yourself if upgrading is worth it to you. When we sailed on MSC, we opted for a Fantástica balcony because of the enhanced kids program and, more importantly, because of location. Bella balconies were located in less desirable areas (mostly near or above noisy lounges or the night club) so we decided that the money to upgrade to a Fantástica stateroom would be well worth it.

Overall, we enjoyed our cruise on MSC but in a different way than our HAL cruise. As mentioned above, it felt more like a budget minded experience, but for what we paid for that cruise, it's hard to complain.

I agree about HAL been refined with different population and if HAL would not be so bored in evenings it would be my favourite line. Looking for new ships now maybe they better with entertainment

/quote]

This is what I don't get. Are Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Wellness the similar to interior, ocean view, vista, neptune? Meaning size and location of accommodations.

I just don't understand.

This is what I don't get. Are Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Wellness the similar to interior, ocean view, vista, neptune? Meaning size and location of accommodations.

I just don't understand.

There are 'Experience' levels within cabin categories e.g. Bella/Fantastica Inside, Bella/Fantastica Outside, Bella/Fantastica/Aurea/Wellness Balcony. These are explained on the cruise pricings pages online. Also on the following:

http://www.msccruises.ie/en-ie/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

What about tipping. They have a daily service charge added to your account or you can prepay the service charge. Their policy is that staff should not be given tips and they don't give any hint that they expect any. However tips , if given, should be given very discretely, as they are expected to add them to the general "pot". They also are grateful if given small personal gifts in lieu of a tip

, which is what I have done. Perfume for females, chocolate and surprisingly books which include Sudoku puzzles ( the cabin steward told me he loved doing them but couldn't get any when ashore)

What is the differences in the prices between the four or five categories listed at MSC's website. Try this thread where all the info is in one place

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2505973

Overall is MSC worth the time and the cost? IMHO YES

Pete

I just don't understand.

Bella, Fantástica, Áurea and Wellness don't refer to the type of stateroom but to the amenities (or experience) and location associated with each.

For example, a Bella Oceanview will be structurally identical to a Fantástica Oceanview. What will be different are the amenities included and their location on the ship.

As someone mentioned above, you can go on the MSC website and read about what each experience includes. This should be a good way to decide for yourself not only the type of stateroom, but which experience is best for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Please can someone tell me what electric sockets MSC have. I cannot find this information anywhere on their website. Also do they supply shower gel, shampoo and conditioner in the staterooms? Then I know what to pack

Many thanks

MSC have shower-gel and shampoo in dispensers in the showers, NO conditioner.

toiletries%202.jpg

if you are in an Aurea experience cabin there are additional toiletries supplied

toiletries%201.jpg

the electrical sockets are European (on the right) and what may be USA sockets(on the left)

sockets.jpg

Pete

Yes, that's what I meant by gratuities. I don't know of any cruise line that has a tip jar:eek: at least not yet.

Have you not been on a ship with a Piano Bar? It's usually a tip glass, not a jar, but you get the point!

We have cruised HAL since 4/95 and cruised MSC in the Caribbean since 1/06. At one time TAs would indicated/imply that tipping on HAL was not required since it was already included in the cost of the cruise. However, that was not true. In fact, during the disembarkation briefing the Cruise Director would mention that if you wanted to tip, they would appreciate it. Years later HAL started to ask that people would tip. So, HAL is like all the other cruise lines in the way of tipping, Specialty Restaurants, etc., in the way of extra charges.

We remember when the Pinnacle Grill on HAL first came out. It was free for the first visit during your cruise. Now, I think they charge just like the others do.

As for MSC, it has been in the Caribbean when the old CEO from Celebrity took over MSC Caribbean operation back in 2006?. I can't remember his name. But he tried to make MSC in the Caribbean just like the other cruise lines that operated in the Caribbean.

People say the MSC is trying to become more American in the Caribbean. We think that MSC is no different than any other cruise line that operates in the Caribbean with the exception of the many languages they use when they make announcements. The food may seem more Italian in the way of pizza, pasta, etc., and they do not really have comedy entertainment due to the languages.

Bang for the buck, is really MSC. They allow you to choose what you really want to add to your cost such as drink packages, and other things based on the cabin categories. MSC has some beautiful ships such as the Divina. Price an MSC cruise then price a Celebrity cruise and see the difference.

Celebrity does provide packaging prices now and started that maybe a year or so ago. So do other cruise lines. They are all taking the same approach. Build your own package to suit your needs/desires.

Regal, Seaborne, Crystal, etc., are inclusive and you pay the extra up front. Cruise lines such as RCI, Princess, Celebrity, NCL, etc., are not inclusive. They allow you to decide what you want in the way of drink packages, etc.

Many people have a favorite cruise line. Each cruise line offers something for everyone. We cruise most of them and enjoy them all.

Try MSC! Go with a positive attitude. Remember, it is your money, your cruise and your opinion that counts when you book your next cruise. No one can tell you what you will like of dislike. They are telling you what they liked or disliked. Happy Cruising!

Thank you so much for a positive outlook on MSC, we (fiance/me/soon to be newborn- due to tommorow haha):D just booked 11 days on MSC for april out of europe (barcelona). Yes i know call us crazy, going with an 8 month old but we love to travel & hope to get our little one into it the earlier the better.

We did 12 nights italy & greece last year on celebrity & it was absolutely amazing. Im reading all these reviews on msc now and im scared to be honest. Although the majority I seem to find are USA sailing experiences. We make the best out of every vacation because its better than being at work! so im hoping to have a great time as well! I hope we made a good choice after all they are known for europe sailings