Should we leave the ship early in BA?

teacherman

We are taking a cruise next February that arrives in BA, stays a night, and then we disembark. We plan to spend one extra night in a hotel and fly home the next day. Now I am thinking that rather than go into BA from the ship, do some touring, and then return to the ship, it may be a better idea to simply leave the ship upon arrival, and spend 2 nights at our hotel. If any of you have experience with this, would appreciate your views. We are just thinking it might be more convenient to touring BA. Our hotel is in the Recoleta area. Advice and info is always welcome. Thank you.

Well, I'm cheap, so I would never forego a free room on board to stay in a hotel. From the ship, you are 10 minutes away from the heart of the city by taxi, From Recoleta, you are 10 minutes away from the heart of the city by taxi. So, unless you plan to only tour Recoleta both days, I would say stay on the ship and tour the other part of BA the first day, then tour Recoleta the second day when you're staying nearby. BTW, it is very doable to walk from Recoleta to the other parts of the city (Obelisk, Casa Rosada, etc.). It was maybe 30 minutes from the cemetery to Casa Rosada.

I concur. Besides, even if you wanted to get to know an area in a barrio farther from the ship than Recoleta ( e.g. San Telmo, Boca, Palermo), an area more conveniently located near your 1 night hotel, taxis are cheap and easy to hail. No need to spend the extra money - stay on the ship.

• 7 months later...

Our cruise did this. We stayed on the ship the night it was in port and spent three nights in The Brick Hotel.

The first day we treated as a normal port day..did the hop on / hop off bus as an orientation then when we disembarked to have days in the hotel, we had a good idea of what we wanted to see.

Note that we were given a continental breakfast at the hotel and were able to store bags, but rooms were not available till after lunch!

Our cruise did this. We stayed on the ship the night it was in port and spent three nights in The Brick Hotel.

The first day we treated as a normal port day..did the hop on / hop off bus as an orientation then when we disembarked to have days in the hotel, we had a good idea of what we wanted to see.

Note that we were given a continental breakfast at the hotel and were able to store bags, but rooms were not available till after lunch!

Did you get on/off the HOHO bus near the ship? What was the stop called?

Did you get on/off the HOHO bus near the ship? What was the stop called?

We got off the bus in the centre of town and caught a taxi back to the port. It was very cheap . Driver spoke limited English. Felt safe in car, journey was less than 5 mins.

We had thought to stroll back but the police officers we asked couldn't understand our requests for directions.

(We have no Spanish)

Sorry can't be more help.

When we were there with Princess in 2015, the ship docked quite a ways from the terminal. It takes a while to get there by shuttle. So add an extra 15 to 20 minutes at least to get into the city which is about a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride or so depending on where you are going. Although it would be much cheaper to stay on the ship (and eat there as well) it would be way more convenient to stay at your hotel. For me that convenience is worth it. If you stay on the ship you have to get to the shuttle line, wait for the shuttle to arrive and then fill up, ride to the terminal, stand in a taxi line, then drive into the city. Then reverse the procedure to get back to the ship. Or you can just take a few steps outside your hotel. My wife and I will on a overnight in BA. We will spend the night at a hotel. But I am staying at the hotel on points.

When we were there with Princess in 2015, the ship docked quite a ways from the terminal. It takes a while to get there by shuttle. So add an extra 15 to 20 minutes at least to get into the city which is about a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride or so depending on where you are going. Although it would be much cheaper to stay on the ship (and eat there as well) it would be way more convenient to stay at your hotel. For me that convenience is worth it. If you stay on the ship you have to get to the shuttle line, wait for the shuttle to arrive and then fill up, ride to the terminal, stand in a taxi line, then drive into the city. Then reverse the procedure to get back to the ship. Or you can just take a few steps outside your hotel. My wife and I will on a overnight in BA. We will spend the night at a hotel. But I am staying at the hotel on points.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I have points for the hotel and decided to disembark early, so i have 3 days at Buenos Aires hotel.

• 2 months later...
We are taking a cruise next February that arrives in BA, stays a night, and then we disembark. We plan to spend one extra night in a hotel and fly home the next day. Now I am thinking that rather than go into BA from the ship, do some touring, and then return to the ship, it may be a better idea to simply leave the ship upon arrival, and spend 2 nights at our hotel. If any of you have experience with this, would appreciate your views. We are just thinking it might be more convenient to touring BA. Our hotel is in the Recoleta area. Advice and info is always welcome. Thank you.

Hi Teacherman - you can leave the ship a night early and the cruise line makes you aware of this. You do have some forms to fill out prior and they will tell you about them on the cruise. While in BA after our February cruise, we booked a food tour in the San Telmo area and enjoyed that during the middle of the day.