Polo Grill question

Noxequifans

On our last trip our butler said that the prime rib from the Polo Grill is served medium rare. We know the menu says the same. Does anyone have experience ordering it otherwise ... medium, etc?

Prime Rib is a roast, so any level of done-ness is naturally based on availability, read that to mean that unless your reservation is early in the evening, flexibility is a must.

We like beef so rare that you can still hear the mooing-

They make us sit thru an explanation of why rare portions are not "advised", but they will serve it.

Well Done, is also not advised, but they serve that too.

On our last trip our butler said that the prime rib from the Polo Grill is served medium rare. We know the menu says the same. Does anyone have experience ordering it otherwise ... medium, etc?

I imagine they can cook your individual slice from medium rare to medium (just not the other way around :D)

Had the perfect prime rib, for me, tonight in Polo, queens cut, 12oz, on the rare side of medium rare, same doneness all the way through. If you are there early enough you should be able to get an end piece that would be in the medium range. The menu does state that the prime rib is subject to availability.

Another choice is the rib eye steak.

Not Polo but in the Terrace at the carving station the meat there is too rare for me so I ask to have it cooked a bit more they are happy to take it into the back & bring it to the table when done

Just ask ...

Had the Queen's cut prime rib on a recent Baltic cruise. I told the waiter I like rare. He said it was medium rare but would see what he could do. It came perfectly cooked, rare and was one of the best prime rib entrees I have ever had. They can always cook it more it that it to your taste. The porterhouse, however, was more of a strip steak, as the filet meat was missing from the steak.

I always order the prime rib rare and usually that is what I receive. I've heard explanations of why prime rib is cooked to one level rather than lots of choices more from other venues than from Oceania. But on occasion it's been cooked more than I like (I'm with Jim and Stan on this). It's never been more than medium, however.

If you really want meat cooked to your preference, you're better off requesting a steak.

We like beef rare but the Prime Rib was perfectly done as far as we were concerned. I also like thin slices, not a huge piece of beef. That was no problem either.

I agree - lobster is overcooked. But it is very nice to have them take it out of the shell!

Had the Queens cut medium rare rare, and it was incredible. By Fay the best offering on the menu. Lobster is not to be ordered there. Always over cooked.

Stay with the red meat or chance being disappointed.

We are from Canadian Maritime

Provinces and we know our lobster. Never a complaint. Now the steaks, that's another story.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are from Canadian Maritime

Provinces and we know our lobster. Never a complaint. Now the steaks, that's another story.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mo,

I am with you on this one. I have switched from steaks to lobster 9 out of 10 times in Polo.

I like him too but not because of his food preferences! :)

But we have similar problems, Lyn. I love roast lamb, Howard not so much. He loves lamb kibbee, I can't stand it.

Part of Howard's problem with roasts is that I like it really rare, and he doesn't ... he's okay the first time it's served because I make sure to "overcook" his portion. But when it's leftover time, then he finds gristle (that of course doesn't exist) which he fusses over enormously ...

So I do take advantage of roast lamb when on board the ship!

Mura

Stick with the Lamb :)

I think a lot of the problems has to do with the cooks... some need more training

IMO

It's not just the cooks; on our last trip the ribeye was cut on the diagonal, like nothing we'd ever seen; it had no marbling and was pretty tasteless.

The Prime Rib was accompanied by an exceptionally small potato, pretty poor thin sour cream, creamy horse radish without the cream, and an au jus which was thick and soupy without au jus flavor. On our coming trip I'll take my chances on the Lobster.

On our recent trip, my partner had the ribeye. It's fair to say that neither of us find American grain fed beef as flavoursome as European grass fed but this wasnt bad at all (no doubt due to the 28 day aging). I went with the Iberico de Bellota pork chop and reckon it was the better choice. I've only ever seen IdB as jamon in Spain, never as fresh meat, so it was something new for me - entirely successful

On our recent trip, my partner had the ribeye. It's fair to say that neither of us find American grain fed beef as flavoursome as European grass fed but this wasnt bad at all (no doubt due to the 28 day aging). I went with the Iberico de Bellota pork chop and reckon it was the better choice. I've only ever seen IdB as jamon in Spain, never as fresh meat, so it was something new for me - entirely successful

Amazing meat from pigs fed in oak woods eating acorns...Spanish and Portugese borders.The finest..

Paul - I think it was maybe you who advised me of that on another thread. I had intended to have it in Jacques first but was seduced by the John Dory with fennel.

Did you enjoy the "seduction"? :D

Maybe you'll have the Iberico next time.