Folding canes w/seats

zwolinski

Hi there

If he really has difficulty standing or walking for any length of time, consider renting an electric scooter for on the ship and if you are able to push him a folding type wheelchair for most port makes getting around easier.

One thing about cruising is that if you aren't standing in a line waiting for something, you are so often having to walk a fair distance, whether on the ship or at port. If he is going to be in any sort of discomfort from being on his feet too long, it's just not worth it. A collapsible stool likely won't be sufficient if he needs it too much. As you said, there are many styles. If you do choose that option, pick one that won't be too awkward to carry and make sure it will carry his weight. Often online you can find reviews for products to see what others think.

good luck

have a great cruise

Anyone have experience with using the foldable canes with seats? So many different ones available. DH has mobility problems & uses a cane, but cannot walk or stand for too long. thanks .

Following.

We were just discussing how something like this might come in handy, especially when just standing in a line, with no place nearby to sit for even a break.

(This is only a problem for one of us, but that really makes it a problem for both of us when there's no place nearby for one to "wait".)

We don't have a need for anything more substantial like a wheelchair or scooter.

Anyone have experience with using the foldable canes with seats? So many different ones available. DH has mobility problems & uses a cane, but cannot walk or stand for too long. thanks .

Consider a rollator instead. It has a larger seat, and is more stable because it has four legs. It locks, which also makes it safer. Rollators fold up, so don't take up a lot of space in a cabin (or anywhere else). They are easily stored in a tour bus or taxi.

I have a folding seat cane...

• very handy when you want to sit down
  • DO NOT lean back!
  • proper technique is to have the handle in FRONT of you when sitting down. The handle is NOT a seat back as it will tip over.
  • OK for a guy.... not recommended for a women because of above point.

• very handy when you want to sit down
  • DO NOT lean back!
  • proper technique is to have the handle in FRONT of you when sitting down. The handle is NOT a seat back as it will tip over.

I have a folding cane with a seat and I sit on it when I need to have a rest. I don't lean back - I am a woman and it is easy to carry and use.

Bought one on line and returned it after trying it out at home before a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What was the problem?

Was it something specific to the type/model you purchased, or was it something you'd expect to have difficult with no matter what "brand"?

Thanks.

I have used the 3 legged Travelon seat cane, and have found that what xixo says is true, plus your balance in getting up has to be very good. As my DJD got worse, that became a problem! I abandoned that before I did much traveling and switched over to a Gateway Healthsmart rollator which is fairly light and folds side-to-side (rather than front to back). I've been able to travel on Amtrak with it and on cruises as well.

I'll be cruising soon with my family and even though I've recently had a hip replacement, the trusty rollator is coming too!

To clarify....

• when the handle is in front of you. The leg sticks out behind you to give the user more stability. Especially if you have a tendency to lean back.
  • if you look at someone with a cane seat handle in front of them while seated.... it looks like a large rude appendage. When I purchased a cane seat... the sales rep recommended I never give it to my mom.

Because of the handle situation.... I have found this light stable product handy for travel.

I abandoned that before I did much traveling and switched over to a Gateway Healthsmart rollator which is fairly light and folds side-to-side (rather than front to back). I've been able to travel on Amtrak with it and on cruises as well.

Cooncat_mom, not to derail this thread, but are you able to bring this rollator on the plane with you, or do you have to check it?

Thanks!

Could you perhaps share a link to the type you have?

I bought mine online from www.agecomfort.com - it costs $39.99 (sometimes on sale for $29.99)

It has three legs and a round seat with a handle to carry it. Weight capacity is 300 lbs. It's called a "2 in 1 cane and seat." The stock # is FH1014 Forsite.

Edited by mexico8
additional info

I abandoned that before I did much traveling and switched over to a Gateway Healthsmart rollator which is fairly light and folds side-to-side (rather than front to back). I've been able to travel on Amtrak with it and on cruises as well.

Cooncat_mom, not to derail this thread, but are you able to bring this rollator on the plane with you, or do you have to check it?

https://www.amazon.com/HealthSmart-Rollator-Lightweight-Aluminum-Titanium/dp/B00742JUUI?th=1

I haven't brought this on the plane (mine is a jazzy lilac), but from what I understand from others, you use your rollator right up to boarding where the staff takes it from you and returns it when you land, just like a wheelchair. It has a seat as well as a bag (which I don't use) to put stuff in. I'm not real fond of flying so I use the train (no problem taking it on Amtrak) and occasionally the bus. And cruise ships!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by cooncat_mom

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the handle situation.... I have found this light stable product handy for travel.

Based on your recommendation, I ordered a Walkstool from Amazon (the 55cm one). It arrived today -- holy cow! What a nifty device! Weighs barely 2 lbs, collapses to about 15" long, small enough to fit into my carry-on, VERY sturdy (listed weight limit is 450 lbs), easy to set up. I'll be taking this along to Alaska next month, but meanwhile it'll get a decent workout on my walks around the neighborhood.

Thanks for posting about it --

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I own much cheaper tripod folding stools....

• walk stool is lighter
  • the telescopic legs allows me to be seated lower or higher
  • the wide seated surface makes it so comfortable compared to non telescoping stools

No, there is cane. But for a woman... it's more dignified when the sales rep explained it to me.

Before mom had to use a wheelchair.... I would carry the walkstool with me. It was a quick place for her to sit down in the mall when all the seats were taken. As she declined.... we went to a transport wheelchair. The transport chair was great for travelling by ship, plane or taxi.

Edited by xlxo

Yes, I own much cheaper tripod folding stools....

• walk stool is lighter
  • the telescopic legs allows me to be seated lower or higher
  • the wide seated surface makes it so comfortable compared to non telescoping stools

No, there is cane. But for a woman... it's more dignified when the sales rep explained it to me.

Before mom had to use a wheelchair.... I would carry the walkstool with me. It was a quick place for her to sit down in the mall when all the seats were taken. As she declined.... we went to a transport wheelchair. The transport chair was great for travelling by ship, plane or taxi.

I had ordered and tried out a folding cane/seat -- but I ended up returning it after trying it out in the house. I don't use a cane now, and I couldn't get rhythm/etc. down. Plus the seat wasn't as large as I needed.

The WalkStool has a large comfortable seat and I can just clip it to my carry-on for getting through the cruise terminal. And it will be easy to clip onto the strap of my shoulder bag for excursions where I might need to stop and rest once in awhile. The 55cm (22" high) seat is fine -- no problems getting up after I sit down. Well worth the cost.