Ladies...what are your favorite stores for clothes

tulip2010

Hi Ladies,

DH, DS and I are planning our first vacation in 3 years. Life has been a bit challenging so we are off to the Carribean next May or June. I want to pick up some fun clothes. I like sundresses for days but would also love a fancy dress for dress up nights. Where do you shop for fun cruise clothes. I am soon to be 50 so like classic...nothing to crazy. Planning is half the fun so would love some ideas so I can start looking.

Thanks in advance!!!

Are you petite, juniors, misses, plus??? This will help others make suggestions.

Having settled firmly (see what I did there :D) into the Plus range, earlier this year I discovered fullbeauty.com, which is an umbrella organization of Woman Within, Roamans, Ellos, Jessica London, and some other plus sized retailers (including one or two for Big and Tall Men!). All types of clothing, all manner of styles. Not all are well-constructed, sad to say, but returns are easy, and if you buy a membership (I think it's $20/yr), free.

Hi Ladies,

off to the Carribean next May or June. I want to pick up some fun clothes. I like sundresses for days but would also love a fancy dress for dress up nights. Where do you shop for fun cruise clothes. I am soon to be 50 so like classic...nothing to crazy.

I seldom purchase anything that is cruise-specific. I simply pack clothes I enjoy wearing.... smart, stylish outfits for dinner, shorts or sundresses for warm days in port, etc. That said, probably half of my closet is from White House Black Market, and it's one of the first places I go when I just want something new for an upcoming trip or "just because." I can almost always find some good white pants, which I always take on a cruise, as well as good black pants, which are easy to take and wear multiple evenings with different tops. I also find that WHBM carries a lot of stylish tops that are dressy enough for nice dinners without being over the top formal. I also have a great dress I bought there years ago.... sleeveless black A-line, a little on the short side, and made of a packable jersey material that doesn't wrinkle and has just enough of a sheen to it. It's a formal night go-to that is easily dressed up with jewelry and the right shoes.

My two favorite stores are TJ Maxx and Marshalls and every once in a while I find some decent pieces in Ross and Beall's Outlet. If I go to a mall, then I like to shop at White House Black Market. I am petite (5'1), so finding maxi dresses can be challenging, but I've found some cute styles in Ann Taylor (online and in the store).

I was in Target over the weekend and found some cute sundresses.

I am also a subscriber to Stitch Fix, and I often "tell" my stylist the type of pieces I want. I can also post a link to my Pinterest board of my favorite pieces to give her an idea of what I like. Great option for petite sizes too.

Thank you ladies!!! I am petite but find I can fit into some regular tops. Definitely have some hips and a bit of a belly at my age but not in plus. Also, capris in regular can end up being regular length on me. Maxi dresses look so fun but I don't have any. They seem easy for a cruise but can sometimes be overwhelming on me if they are a pattern. We are in a rural area so do a lot of my shopping online then take a trip a few times a year to Phoenix for in person shopping.

So fun to plan. So I now have a few websites to browse. Had not thought of WHBM or Target!

I like Dress Barn for dresses. They have a lot of stylish and classic dress options at reasonable prices. Check out their website to see if there are things you like.

Great idea. I had not thought of Dress Barn.:)

Thank you ladies!!! I am petite but find I can fit into some regular tops. Definitely have some hips and a bit of a belly at my age but not in plus. Also, capris in regular can end up being regular length on me. Maxi dresses look so fun but I don't have any. They seem easy for a cruise but can sometimes be overwhelming on me if they are a pattern. We are in a rural area so do a lot of my shopping online then take a trip a few times a year to Phoenix for in person shopping.

So fun to plan. So I now have a few websites to browse. Had not thought of WHBM or Target!

Yes, most maxi dresses look ridiculous on me, as some bold patterns overwhelm my frame, not to mention the length! If I find a dress a little long, I just wear a wedge sandal to give me a little height.

Check out Ann Taylor for petites; you can order a couple of different sizes and return via mail the ones that do not fit (provided they are not final sale).

I find that capri pants tend to make me look even shorter, so that is why I prefer skirts and dresses.

Charity/thrift stores! I browse on a regular basis, so I can wait for the really great finds to come along. Cocktail and "gala" dresses are the best, as they have usually only been worn once, if at all. I also have a number of Ann Taylor and WHBM separates that appear to have been donated by the stores. I love the fact that I find brands and styles that I might never have known or considered. Saves me a ton of money (for cruising, of course), and the proceeds go to a good cause.

If you live in Texas or the Deep South, check out Dirt Cheap Stores. This past Saturday, I bought a beautiful pink jacket still wearing its original Bloomingdale price tag of $518 (tax would have added about another $40). I paid ONE DOLLAR!

Look items over carefully because there are no returns . It's all NEW merchandise, but there are some returns or insurance items. There are various tiers of discounts on the already discounted prices marked. Big signs & PA announcements explain how it works, or you can ask an employee -- or other shoppers!

My grown daughter & I regularly find great bargains there. $5 for white leather jacket with $300 price tag. $1 for top quality cashmere hooded sweater reduced from over $200. We paid 25 cents each for Talbots scarves which were originally $78. Evening jackets, skirts, suits for $1 -- the tags said $98-$197. The list goes on & on!

We've also found great bedding deals. Once they had grand pianos for sale! You never know what'll be there!

My favorite places to shop are Nordstrom Rack, Neimans Last Call and Saks Off Fifth, I love finding really great bargains on designers I wouldn't be able to afford at regular price.

But most of my day to day clothing comes from Target, Loft, Gap, some pieces from Nordstrom.

A note about WHBM: I shop there all the time, and more often than not I have to go down a size, as I find their things run large on me. If you are ordering online, order your regular size AND a size down, just in case, and return the one that doesn't work.

Keep in mind that most places are putting summer things on clearance now, so it might be a chance to pick up some things for your trip next May or June at bargain prices. If you wait til the spring, you'll find better selection but higher prices.

If you live in Texas or the Deep South, check out Dirt Cheap Stores. This past Saturday, I bought a beautiful pink jacket still wearing its original Bloomingdale price tag of $518 (tax would have added about another $40). I paid ONE DOLLAR!

Look items over carefully because there are no returns . It's all NEW merchandise, but there are some returns or insurance items. There are various tiers of discounts on the already discounted prices marked. Big signs & PA announcements explain how it works, or you can ask an employee -- or other shoppers!

My grown daughter & I regularly find great bargains there. $5 for white leather jacket with $300 price tag. $1 for top quality cashmere hooded sweater reduced from over $200. We paid 25 cents each for Talbots scarves which were originally $78. Evening jackets, skirts, suits for $1 -- the tags said $98-$197. The list goes on & on!

We've also found great bedding deals. Once they had grand pianos for sale! You never know what'll be there!

The Dirt Cheap store in Fort Lauderdale closed sometime last year. I loved that place! :loudcry:

Guest maddycat

My favorite stores are Macy's, TJ Max, Marshall's, Chicos and LLBean. I don't buy special cruise clothes, I just bring my regular summer clothes on Caribbean cruises.

I seldom purchase anything that is cruise-specific. I simply pack clothes I enjoy wearing.... smart, stylish outfits for dinner, shorts or sundresses for warm days in port, etc. That said, probably half of my closet is from White House Black Market, and it's one of the first places I go when I just want something new for an upcoming trip or "just because." I can almost always find some good white pants, which I always take on a cruise, as well as good black pants, which are easy to take and wear multiple evenings with different tops. I also find that WHBM carries a lot of stylish tops that are dressy enough for nice dinners without being over the top formal. I also have a great dress I bought there years ago.... sleeveless black A-line, a little on the short side, and made of a packable jersey material that doesn't wrinkle and has just enough of a sheen to it. It's a formal night go-to that is easily dressed up with jewelry and the right shoes.

Ditto. Exactly me as well. I don't typically shop specifically for any trip/vacation...I really wear that same things I wear at home. More than half my clothes are from Banana Republic (fantastic sales), but I shop all over the place - Nordstrom, Saks, Talbots, Ann Taylor, White House Black Market, Gap, Athleta, Soft Surroundings etc This is exactly me...except more than half of my clothing is from Banana Republic.

Hi Ladies,

DH, DS and I are planning our first vacation in 3 years. Life has been a bit challenging so we are off to the Carribean next May or June. I want to pick up some fun clothes. I like sundresses for days but would also love a fancy dress for dress up nights. Where do you shop for fun cruise clothes. I am soon to be 50 so like classic...nothing to crazy. Planning is half the fun so would love some ideas so I can start looking.

Thanks in advance!!!

I have found a lot of shorts, skirts, tank tops & shirts at JC Penny's on their clearance racks. A few weeks ago I was able to get 5 pair of shorts, 3 shirts, 2 tanks and a skirt for around $70.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love maxi dresses and find them very versatile. I'm short, but there are plenty of places that offer petite sizing for maxis. I don't typically buy patterned clothing in general, so all of my maxis are solid colors. For me/my body, I try to find ones that are at fitted in the top.

I have a bunch of colors in this style from Nordstrom (free shipping/free returns all the time)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/loveappella-v-neck-jersey-maxi-dress-regular-petite/3965546?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MIDNIGHT

I also have had pretty good luck with maxis (or midis) from Banana Republic, Gap and even Old Navy over the years. I always buy the reg length as well as the petite length, because sometimes the regular length fits me fine.

Good luck! Have fun shopping!

The Dirt Cheap store in Fort Lauderdale closed sometime last year. I loved that place! :loudcry:

How sad for you! :(

My daughter & I were heart-broken <|3 to leave the Gulf Coast with all its DC stores 4 years ago -- but just this year, they started opening here in Texas! :hearteyes:

Maybe they'll open another store near you, too.... I hope so! Fingers crossed!!!

Wow...I wish I did live in the Deep South. That store sounds amazing!!!!:)

It's a great store! <3

I see they're starting to spread to new areas recently (Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, & Oklahoma), so maybe one will open near you! I hope so!!!!! :D

I'm in north Georgia and went to my local Dress Barn this morning. They had a nice selection of dresses on clearance as they bring in fall and winter. I bought three lovely, cruise worthy dresses! There were $50-60 original price marked down to $20 and after my db bucks and a $15 reward I had, I walked out with three for $37! Score!

I'm in north Georgia and went to my local Dress Barn this morning. They had a nice selection of dresses on clearance as they bring in fall and winter. I bought three lovely, cruise worthy dresses! There were $50-60 original price marked down to $20 and after my db bucks and a $15 reward I had, I walked out with three for $37! Score!

I love Dress Barn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums