Cuba Question

I asked this in Ports of Call section but didn't get any information. I'm wondering about Cienfuegos:

I understand it's a tender port. Where do they take you? I see a little pier that the ferry to the Jagua fortress uses that might be a convenient spot for tendering, but don't know if that's where we'll end up.

When you were in Cienfguegos, was there a terminal where you could exchange money (to CUCs)?

Was there any transportation to any places for sightseeing? I'm hoping we'll be allowed to do a little of that.

What cruise are you on where they tender ??

If you are stopping in Havana first then just get some CUC there

I do not believe Oceania stops in Cienfuegos until this fall the early cruises to Cuba only did Havana

We're on Viking Ocean. They recently had to make some changes to their 4 cruises which included Havana. It's my understanding that the Cuban government didn't give Viking permission to visit Havana in early December (when an Oceania ship is there, though that may not have been a factor). Therefore, we're visiting Cienfuegos instead and Viking is providing excursions to Havana if wanted. (It's a long way unfortunately, but one of the excursions includes an overnight there, so not as bad as it could be. The excursions have also been made complimentary.)

I don't know for sure if we're docking in Cienfuegos, and haven't yet asked Viking or found a port website that would give me a clue. However, at least one Cruise Critic reader told me that HAL has Cienfuegos on the itinerary as a tender port, so perhaps we're tendering!

I'm sure Viking will tell us how to get CUCs (if we even need them, and we (personally) may not), but since we won't be docking in Havana it does complicate things a bit.

I didn't realize Oceania only went to Havana before.

I'm sure Viking will tell us how to get CUCs (if we even need them, and we (personally) may not), but since we won't be docking in Havana it does complicate things a bit.

Not buying CUCs? Do you plan on staying on board or not spending money on shore?

I THINK all the first USA cruises went only to Havana. Not had time to make full arrangements in other ports. For O the first few in fact were so quick they were itinerary changes with Havana added in / substituted (to the great pleasure of some and great annoyance of others)

Enjoy your visit to Cuba

Thanks to those of you who replied, and especially for the link to whatsinport.com. I've used that site before, but had forgotten about it.

I really don't want to get many CUCs as we're not really shoppers, plus at this point it looks like most of our time will be filled with complimentary excursions with not a lot of time on our own to use bike taxis, etc. Unless someone insists we bring back cigars and rum, I really can pass on those.

When you exchange money, can you ask for very small bills and possibly some change? I will likely want to pay for admission somewhere, possibly pay for a bike taxi or something, and possibly buy one or two small souvenirs, but not a whole lot more. Prices don't appear to be very high, even though I would venture to guess they're rising as a result of so much interest by Americans in visiting Cuba.

Thanks to those of you who replied, and especially for the link to whatsinport.com. I've used that site before, but had forgotten about it.

I really don't want to get many CUCs as we're not really shoppers, plus at this point it looks like most of our time will be filled with complimentary excursions with not a lot of time on our own to use bike taxis, etc. Unless someone insists we bring back cigars and rum, I really can pass on those.

When you exchange money, can you ask for very small bills and possibly some change? I will likely want to pay for admission somewhere, possibly pay for a bike taxi or something, and possibly buy one or two small souvenirs, but not a whole lot more. Prices don't appear to be very high, even though I would venture to guess they're rising as a result of so much interest by Americans in visiting Cuba.

Yes, you can ask for small bills, even better in Spanish. They are bureaucratic and not 'customer-focused" but they know why you are there and what you want. The clerk we had gave us a good assortment without asking.

There is a trade-off of not having enough, and so missing out, and having too much. Only a problem in the cost of exchange and if they are closed when you return so find out what time the currency exchange closes. The first night it was open late (I don't recall the time) but the ship daily program cautioned that it was closing earlier the second night. Might have been a Sunday - don't recall. We did have some left over as we got back late. At the Havana terminal there was one shop open late and a couple of vendors of likely-made-in-china type stuff to help with that problem.

But if you are on a circumnavigation type cruise you might have more upcoming Cuba stops and so not such an issue.

Oh, and yes. tourism has driven some prices way up and arguably causing issues for locals. Some of the prices tourist are paying for a private tour are astounding. while the influx of money is good of course, and I believe help to bring about change, too much, too fast can be very disruptive.

can't one use Euros in Cuba? I think that is what we're going to use when we go in '18 and then we won't care if there is money left over.

Our family tries to keep Euros and then whoever needs it uses it and then replenishes it. That way one doesn't have to immediately find an ATM at a European airport--it's enough to get us started....lunch, taxi, whatever.

BTW....has anybody seen an update on the new requirements to travel within Cuba issued from the current administration or has nothing fundamentally changed?

Since we took O life for a 2018 cruise, I think we'll just do 3 free shorex and hopefully that will meet any requirement to 'mix and mingle.' Who knows, by then we Americans may be banned or may freely travel with no restrictions.

can't one use Euros in Cuba? I think that is what we're going to use when we go in '18 and then we won't care if there is money left over.

The currency is CUC for tourists & CUP for the locals

You can change what ever you have CAD, Euro GBP when you arrive there is a 3% fee

for USD there is an added 10% exchange fee + the 3%

Some places may take USD but not too many & CC are not usually accepted especially U. S. ones

The Cuba forum in the ports of call section have lots of good info

Regarding new regs, there is a spirited thread on the upcoming new rules in the Ports of Call section. Bottom line, though, is that until regs are issued (could be mid September) there is only speculation on what will be required and how, if at all, cruise lines may attempt to monitor American passengers' compliance with the current president's wishes that visitors don't patronize state run places. My personal belief is that not much will change for cruisers, but at this point, who knows? My cruise is in December, with Viking starting their cruises in November, plus Oceania is there by early December, too. Therefore, I'll be looking for feedback from the cruisers on those trips.

Edited by roothy123

BTW....has anybody seen an update on the new requirements to travel within Cuba issued from the current administration or has nothing fundamentally changed?

This does not relate to new government requirements but I found it very intriguing and somewhat bizarre.

Yesterday I heard on the news that several (5) US diplomats have had to return from Cuba for medical issues and 2 Cuban diplomats were expelled in response. I believe this was a little while ago but just disclosed now.

The medical issue had to do with severe hearing loss possibly due to a sonar device in their residence emitting signals inaudible to the ear but causing severe damage to it. The details are not fully disclosed but hopefully this will not escalate and will not deteriorate the budding relationship between the 2 countries

Our O Cuban cruise isn't until Oct'18--who knows what the rules/regulations will be by that time. I'm not spending any time researching this now as i feel it would be pretty much wasted effort on my part.

I'll have to do more research nearer the time as I thought Euros were readily accepted, but as I said "who knows" what will happen.

Had seen that diplomats came back from Cuba but hadn't read that it might be auditory problems from sneaky devices....so it sounds like diplomats there need to have their houses "swept" or perhaps every home comes equipped with a dog!!!

Heck, we may even cancel!!!

Heck, we may even cancel!!!

C,

I wouldn't do that. I am sure that you will be fine. We spent 10 days in Cuba on a land trip a couple of years back and it was great - no problems at all. I didn't post it as a traveler warning - more as a curiosity./mystery

Enjoy :)

This does not relate to new government requirements but I found it very intriguing and somewhat bizarre.

Yesterday I heard on the news that several (5) US diplomats have had to return from Cuba for medical issues and 2 Cuban diplomats were expelled in response. I believe this was a little while ago but just disclosed now.

The medical issue had to do with severe hearing loss possibly due to a sonar device in their residence emitting signals inaudible to the ear but causing severe damage to it. The details are not fully disclosed but hopefully this will not escalate and will not deteriorate the budding relationship between the 2 countries

Conspiracy theory #1

Maybe the CIA had the devices installed so the Cubans could not hear conversations of the diplomats :evilsmile:

We are going to Cuba in November on Insignia..I am not doing research yet even Oceania does not have their tours yet..we do have a tour and I am hoping it is compliant..will find out in October..

Jancruz1

Conspiracy theory #1

Maybe the CIA had the devices installed so the Cubans could not hear conversations of the diplomats :evilsmile:

That certainly could be but you'd think we would know about that (or maybe not) :D

Paul,

Oh, we're not worried about the Cuba trip; the reason we'd cancel is if something "better" came along. Now i don't know what that might be, but I'd probably recognize it at the time....as in....

"wow, we were going on a 7 day to Cuba, but this sounds much more (fun) (interesting) (unusual) (awesome)"....take your pick!!!! Or if a friend said "come with us..."

Perhaps clarity will come to this Cuban port situation...

We are going to Cuba in November on Insignia..I am not doing research yet even Oceania does not have their tours yet..we do have a tour and I am hoping it is compliant..will find out in October..

Jancruz1

We will be going to Cuba on Insignia in December and Oceania does have their Havana tours posted now. Nothing yet for Cienfuegos or Santiago de Cuba. We booked 2 O tours (our OLife perk) in Havana, then a private tour in each of the other towns.

Were going in Dec 2018 to Cuba on Insignia. Would like to go sooner, but we've got 4 cruises booked most on Regent and 2 air/land trips in 2017/2018 and a cruise in 2019 and looking to book another one on "O" when the 2020's come out.

We book one of the "Old Cars" tours and looking for others. Let's hope all goes well with relations as we really want to go on this cruise. It's sold out already. Have fun on your cruise.

Rick

We're on Viking Ocean. They recently had to make some changes to their 4 cruises which included Havana. It's my understanding that the Cuban government didn't give Viking permission to visit Havana in early December (when an Oceania ship is there, though that may not have been a factor). Therefore, we're visiting Cienfuegos instead and Viking is providing excursions to Havana if wanted. (It's a long way unfortunately, but one of the excursions includes an overnight there, so not as bad as it could be. The excursions have also been made complimentary.)

I don't know for sure if we're docking in Cienfuegos, and haven't yet asked Viking or found a port website that would give me a clue. However, at least one Cruise Critic reader told me that HAL has Cienfuegos on the itinerary as a tender port, so perhaps we're tendering!

If you wold look at your updated booking sheet it will show that Cienfuegos is a Tender port .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums