Stockholm on your own versus Abba museum

Sailship

I've been to Stockholm a few times. When I wanted to do the Vasa museum, I bought the hop-on boat ticket - that took you to the main parts of the city and allowed you to have as much time as you wanted. The boat left from behind the ship and this year I think it was 20 Euros.This may be a better option for you. The Vasa trip only gave about 90 minutes in the museum which was nowhere near enough. Depending on how much there is to see and do, I would assume that the time you would have on either of the ship excursions may not be enough to see everything in the ABBA museum. Only advantage with the ship excursion is that you would have a ticket to enter rather than joining a queue to buy your own but you can buy in advance over the Internet. A further option would be to take the shuttle into Stockholm. In June, the drop off point was about a 20-30 minute walk from the Djurgården. Stockholm is quite compact, so easy to do on your own.

We went to the ABBA museum last year on a ships (not P&O) tour. If you do try to go on your own it is vital to pre book tickets - the queue t buy was enormous and I think that they operate a timed ticket system. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and spent about 90 minutes there but we could have easily stayed longer. Having said that we felt that the ships tour gave us enough time to do all that we wanted and it had the advantage of bypassing even the queue for pre-booked tickets. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and felt it was money well spent. While on the subject of money the shop at the museum is cashless - only accepting cards so the Swedish Kroner that I had taken were not accepted.

........ If you do try to go on your own it is vital to pre book tickets - the queue t buy was enormous and I think that they operate a timed ticket system. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and spent about 90 minutes there but we could have easily stayed longer. Having said that we felt that the ships tour gave us enough time to do all that we wanted and it had the advantage of bypassing even the queue for pre-booked tickets. ......

Good info on bypassing the queues. We often don't have that long in port and queueing can waste a lot of time. Guess the other advantage of the ships tour is that you are dropped off close to the site.

We were in Stockholm in June on Britannia and we did our own thing. We took the ship's shuttle into the city (stops by the Opera House) then bought tickets for the hop-on, hop-off boat. We had a bit of a tour round the harbour then went to the Vasa Museum which I'd highly recommend. We then walked a short distance to the ABBA museum and spent ages there. We had enough time for recording ourselves in the studios and auditioning as the 5th member :'):'). We completed the tour and had time for a lovely late lunch. There had been an accident between the city and the ship so there was a LONG queue for the shuttle bus. We were delayed getting back and had to take a big detour - but there were lots of people behind us. We'd have missed so much of the city of we'd just done a tour

If you can't prebook ABBA as you're unsure what time you'll be there and there's a long queue then you can use your phone to "prebook" there and then. You can then skip the queue and walk straight up to the prebooked counter, show your booking reference and you're in.