Disembarking Port of Miami

QuakerBoy

I realize it's prudent to expect problems and book a flight out of MIA probably noon or later. My question is: if you absolutely had to get a flight earlier and were willing to take a chance, what are the best tips at beating the odds and catching a perfect Delta departure at 10:00 AM? Is it doable?

Do you have global entry or TSAPre? Can you pack with only a carry-on and no checked luggage? If the answer is no to both questions, you're risking missing your flight.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Do self debarkation, have Global Entry to expedite thru customs and TSA pre check, use Uber and keep your fingers crossed. If the ship is cleared quickly you will have time to spare, if not hope you can get on a later flight

I realize it's prudent to expect problems and book a flight out of MIA probably noon or later. My question is: if you absolutely had to get a flight earlier and were willing to take a chance, what are the best tips at beating the odds and catching a perfect Delta departure at 10:00 AM? Is it doable?

There may also be some on the Florida Departures board who may have had the same flight time, and share their experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

A 10 am flight is really pushing it. All of the stars must align. You would have to walk off with your luggage in hand and hope your ride is waiting. Traffic could be an issue but not likely. Having TSA Pre would be important.

I would look at 11 am to be safe.

Walk off is fine if you line up at least an hour before the suggested time. In my experience the lines have been long and slow.. Still too risky for a 10am flight

I second this. Be sure to be first in the walk off line. They are really slow and you never know what can cause hold ups. On a recent cruise, some people from other countries didn't show up when called to report and the entire process was slowed by Almost two hours. Ridiculous.

We were forced into making a 1000 flight when American changed our flight. Did self disembark, and were to airline gate by 0830. As others stated, it is definitely doable but any hiccups could cause you to miss flight and the anxiety through the. Raise worrying about making the flight.

We just got of the Equinox in Miami last Sunday. No separate line for global entry or anything at that terminal. We were at the very first one with the airport like baggage belts. No separate porter line either. Just two lines with everyone in them to go through customs, but it moved fairly well. We were tag #16 and everything went smoothly, less than an hour from tag being called to airport. Check in for American Airlines at MIA was a mad house of people and lines. As others have said, if you carry your stuff off you may make a 10 am flight, just hopefully there are no unexpected delays in the disembarkation process on your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is recommended to be at the airport 2 hours earlier for local flights and 3 hours earlier for international flights.

Sometimes the lines are very long and do not advance as fast as we would like,

I remember one time our family of 4 arrived to MIA ON TIME and lost our flight to DFW, because the line was very long surprise it's lunch time (not enough personal). Our family was spitted 2 in one flight and other 2 in another flight.

If you book the 10:00 a.m, flight and don't make it, what is your Plan B? How much will it cost you to change your ticket? Can you fly stand by? How full will the next flights be and what are your chances to be put on one? How many are in your party? Are you willing to split up? There are so many questions that need to be answered.......

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Unlike Port Everglades, Miami's cruise port offers neither Global Entry nor Mobile Passport.
I beg to differ. Disembarked last month July 9th 9n the Carnival Vista and there is a sign on the wall when you approach the Customs area for Global Entry customers. You need your Global Entry card ONLY to show the agents manning the lines that you are authorized to go on that queue line. YOU DO NOT need to show the card to the Customs Agent; we have always handed the card with our passport and it always gets handed back to us without being looked at. Just this year alone we have used Global Entry at POM three separate times.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Related question: if I plan on taking an afternoon flight and want to relax on board while the masses disembark, what is the general time estimate for the last groups to get off?

Every disembarkation is a bit different but generally, people are off by around 10 AM if nothing goes wrong. If any hiccups, they could still be disembarking after noon.

I beg to differ. Disembarked last month July 9th 9n the Carnival Vista and there is a sign on the wall when you approach the Customs area for Global Entry customers. You need your Global Entry card ONLY to show the agents manning the lines that you are authorized to go on that queue line. YOU DO NOT need to show the card to the Customs Agent; we have always handed the card with our passport and it always gets handed back to us without being looked at. Just this year alone we have used Global Entry at POM three separate times.

Thanks for the update, as posts on various boards, as well as in this thread, continue to report otherwise. According to this Cruise Critic article (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2710) from this past December, PortMiami "is in preliminary talks with CBP about the program."

From you description, it sounds like the terminal staff are getting a head start on the program. If the program was officially in effect, I'd think that your proffered card would not have been ignored by the CBP officer. In any event, it's good to know that a shorter line is available to those of us with GE.

Two additional thoughts:

1. How many ships are in port that day. Will impact availability of cabs, traffic congestion at airport and length of lines for check-in and TSA.

2. While flight may leave at 10am gate can close earlier. Don't personally fly Delta, but my UAL confirm says gate closes 15 minutes prior to departure.

Thanks for the update, as posts on various boards, as well as in this thread, continue to report otherwise. According to this Cruise Critic article (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2710) from this past December, PortMiami "is in preliminary talks with CBP about the program."

From you description, it sounds like the terminal staff are getting a head start on the program. If the program was officially in effect, I'd think that your proffered card would not have been ignored by the CBP officer. In any event, it's good to know that a shorter line is available to those of us with GE.

To be honest, when I have used my Global Entry at Port Everglades the Customs Agents have always refused to examine the actual card. They have no use for its your passport they want. Once you are in the queue their job is not to 'verify' whether you are supposed to be there. They just need to examine your passport. I have had many agents tell me they have never seen a global entry card before and have no reason to examine one.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app