MSC Magnifica for kids

Deedres

We've just come off the Magnifica and, while I can't compare with P&O, our kids (5 and 9) gave the kids' club a thumbs down in comparison to NCL, for example. They didn't hate it but it wasn't just as good, they reckon. That said, there are two good size pools, one inside and one outside, all-you-can eat gelato on the drinks package, a super kid-friendly theatre programme, and the kids' club will look after the kids on the ship for free whilst mum and dad are on shore (NCL charged for the pleasure). What I didn't find particularly great was that the whole kids' programme is geared towards children from Italy and other southern European countries. English is spoken – that's no problem – but the evening programme in kids' club, for example, included dinner at 8pm. That meant that our kids (who were starving by 6pm and ate dinner with us in the dining room) had to go with the other kids again into the buffet restaurant for an hour if they wanted to participate in kids' club in the evenings. Not ideal.

We also just came off Magnifica yesterday and I think it depends on how keen your children are to take part in the kids club activities. Our children (aged 9, 5 and 5) were just not interested and refused to go, although one of my twins would gladly have gone, but wouldn't go without one of the others!

Having said that, we made it work for us as a family. We were Aurea so chose to go to dinner between 7.15 and 7.45. It meant my 5 year old twins had late nights, but that also meant late mornings. On port days after a late breakfast, we could explore off ship then return about 3.30ish for a late lunch. Being British and hardcore they were easily entertained in the outdoor pool and hot tubs which were less busy than the indoor ones. The only time in the week we struggled to entertain them was the afternoon on the second sea day. That's about the only time we reached for the iPads!