Aurea v/s YC. Your opinion is most welcome

Zephyr173

Booked on MSC Divina for 23 September, Aurea experience with suite #11002. Out front, with sealed panoramic window.

We have been on MSC Splendida Summer 2016 (cabin 13038, Aurea) and really enjoyed the accommodation and the ship.

Our TA can provide YC suite with balcony for 33% more $ than what we booked, probably on deck 16. May I have your thoughts? Is the expenditure worth it?

Depends on your personal preferences. Extras that you would get in the YC are dedicated restaurant (with better food IMHO), private pool deck with it's own buffet, Top Sail Lounge with nice muchies all day, high tea every afternoon and dedicated butler service. You would lose the free massage available with Aurea. So it's up to you if you think it's worth it. Both come with drink packages.

Not sure which drink package comes with Aurea but the YC is unlimited drinks. Now the unlimited drinks for YC guests is honored thru out the ship. Plus you get a stocked mini bar in your room. Aside from the drinks I really enjoy not not having to fight over pool chairs or just being able to get a quick snack without crowds. Best views are when your sitting Top Sail lounge.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Be careful, I asked a very similar question and this was one of the responses:

YIKES

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526282

Good that you posted the link to the other thread so that the OP can see why you got the answer you got.

I can't see why you YIKESed the answer you got, not after rereading the whole thread.

Bea is a valuable resource for MSC information

Good that you posted the link to the other thread so that the OP can see why you got the answer you got.

I can't see why you YIKESed the answer you got, not after rereading the whole thread.

Yikes is what my brain thinks when someone comes unglued. As far as Bea? I don't know her.

Depends on your personal preferences. Extras that you would get in the YC are dedicated restaurant (with better food IMHO), private pool deck with it's own buffet, Top Sail Lounge with nice muchies all day, high tea every afternoon and dedicated butler service. You would lose the free massage available with Aurea. So it's up to you if you think it's worth it. Both come with drink packages.

Good points. Well noted. Thank you for the insight.

Booked on MSC Divina for 23 September, Aurea experience with suite #11002. Out front, with sealed panoramic window.

We have been on MSC Splendida Summer 2016 (cabin 13038, Aurea) and really enjoyed the accommodation and the ship.

Our TA can provide YC suite with balcony for 33% more $ than what we booked, probably on deck 16. May I have your thoughts? Is the expenditure worth it?

It all depends what you like.

If the extra cost is within your budget, I'd recommend you go for YC! It's a whole different experience. Other posters have listed some of the extra benefits that feature. There are more, too:

The Deluxe (premium) drinks package is included for use around the rest of the ship.

You still get free access to the thermal suite in the Spa like you do with Aurea.

Your choice of newspaper delivered to your cabin every morning.

A concierge service to deal with any bookings you wish to make or any issues you need resolved.

Priority disembarkation at the ports of call should you need it (if you're not booked on an MSC excursion, you can request this at the concierge desk).

Thank you for reading the thread to get the context, SC.

With the greatest respect to the OP and apologies for going off-topic, I think the following needs to be said.

The same poster has shown total disregard and disrespect for those on here who do their best to assist anyone with questions about MSC:

I booked a Aurea balcony but I was waffling about upgrading to a Yacht Club (yep, you heard me)

Ok this is a fair point, I'm fairly into my cups and did not explain correctly.

I believe that expression usually means drunk.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=53757997

It takes time and effort to respond on here and most people go to great lengths to back up their info with links and photos, etc, to assist those who have genuine requests for answers. For someone to reach out for others' opinions and then freely admit that they were "waffling" and "fairly into my cups" is an absolute disgrace and exposes that person for what they are!

This forum is an incredible resource for information about MSC and I, for one, value the contributions made by everyone on here.

I would respectfully suggest you read some of the 3500 posts I’ve put on here and the responses I’ve had as opposed to the poster who “was in her cups” when posting here before.

Edited by Beamafar

I don't know Bea, maybe she's a horrible person, I don't know!

What I do know is that she provide good information about MSC.

clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

Looks like I'll be drinking that champagne on my lonesome in La Cantina di Bacco, SC. :confused: clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

Looks like I'll be drinking that champagne on my lonesome in La Cantina di Bacco, SC. :confused: clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

:bottle-pop::champagne-toast::D

Zephyr, only you can know if the upgrade is worth it for you. Many people, included me, will say yes!!!

If you were happy with your Aurea cruise that might be enough for you, I don't know. I know that we were happy on our first cruises without a suite but after our first cruise in a suite on Norwegian Jade there is no way back, for us.

For me it's not a question about the pricedifference if I shall book the Yacht Club or not. If I can afford the Yacht Club, and think that it's worth the price, I book that. If the Yacht Club cost too much I rather not cruise! (I can also look at NCLs suites but right now they cost too much compared to MSCs Yacht Club.)

Bea....you handled that with such grace.

OP: I am having a similar problem and sooooo torn between Aurea and the Yacht Club. What to do, what to do. :ship: :cool:

Thank you!

Now ................. on the subject at hand: there really is no contest - Yacht Club all the way, Champers! :D I'm knocking around these boards long enough to know that there's a consensus on this. (Longer than my profile shows - I had to re-register when I forgot my password and couldn't log in :rolleyes:).

We're leaning more and more toward quality over quantity in the future and doing more Yacht Club but less cruising.

That answer was well deserved in the context of that thread.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to read the thread and see the reason behind my response, Priscila. :) It turned out that the OP wasn't even interested in anybody's opinions, just "waffling", unlike Zephyr, who generously welcomes opinions here.

IMHO, I can't say it often enough - YC!!!! GO FOR IT!!!!!

YC is delightful and you will be very spoilt. It is also an absolute treat if you appreciate quiet time and space on holiday. We sailed on Divina, Aurea package and had a great time. Our sailing that time was out of summer season and the ship was not busy. We recently sailed on her in YC, it was summer and very busy on the ship so to be able to retreat to the tranquility of YC was heaven. Again though, this is personal preference, you may love a bit more activity. In YC though you have the option of both.

I'd definitely recommend YC. If you can upgrade, yes, I would. Once you've had the experience then you can make an informed judgement for any future cruises. The only way to know if it's worth it for you is to try it.

We've just booked future cruises, one Aurea and one YC. We decided that on the 7 day sailing, where we will be off the ship all day for 6 of those we wouldn't get experience the full benefits of being in YC. The other is 19 nights and involves several sea days so we'll have the time to appreciate all that YC offers. And it does offer a LOT. Only time will tell if this was the right choice. We've used to money saved for a post cruise 5 night city stay and we couldn't jusify both.

All you can do is look at the benefits and experiences YC offers and decide if they would be something you'd enjoy and utilise on your cruise.

Bea (and many others) are great contibutors to these boards and offer valuable insights based on their experiences and those of us with less experience are very greatful for the time taken to share their knowledge.

I'd go with the YC. I'm booked on the Seaside for April, 2018, and the YC is sold out. I did book the Aurea because it, too, has unlimited drinks, 2 free messages per cabin, and unlimited access to the thermals.

Maybe a YC cabin will become available at final payment date?

Bytheway .............. YC has the Premium drinks package included (unlike Aurea, which just has the basic Classic included)............... but no 'free' massages.

CF .............. I appreciate the comments. :)

Edited by Beamafar

I'm hoping for some YC cancellations, even in the interior cabins. I will call closer to the final payment date, which is in January. I'd take an upsell, which I got on the Divina in 2015, which was from a Fantastica balcony. The YC really spoils you, and LeMuse is fantastic. The difference in the drink pkg. really isn't a different make for me. I drink mostly beer, or a mixed drink. The only real difference would be the wine choices with dinner.

I'm hoping for some YC cancellations, even in the interior cabins. I will call closer to the final payment date, which is in January. I'd take an upsell, which I got on the Divina in 2015, which was from a Fantastica balcony. The YC really spoils you, and LeMuse is fantastic. The difference in the drink pkg. really isn't a different make for me. I drink mostly beer, or a mixed drink. The only real difference would be the wine choices with dinner.

Same here with the drinks packages. DH only drinks draught beer so the upgraded package is a waste where he's concerned. We get it for the better wines for me - and the premium brandy/cognac brands as I drink it straight! I just thought I'd post the differences between the included drinks packages for the 2 'Experiences' (YC vs Aurea) for the OP's benefit.

We're going on Divina from Miami in 2019 (31 nights) and would love to try out YC while she's in the US but it's twice the price of our Aurea booking and way outside our budget. We've sailed in YC on her when she was in the Med. I get the impression from reviews here that the US sailings are even better.

Many thanks to all of you for your kind replies and opinions. Made a decision and called my TA. Looks like we will be heading up a few floors to YC. Thanks again, and I will make sure to let you know how it went although with all of your reviews and opinions I'm not worried for a moment.

Ticker is down to 35 days. Can't wait.

Many thanks to all of you for your kind replies and opinions. Made a decision and called my TA. Looks like we will be heading up a few floors to YC. Thanks again, and I will make sure to let you know how it went although with all of your reviews and opinions I'm not worried for a moment.

Ticker is down to 35 days. Can't wait.

35 days sounds good, I have 560 days...