Captain Apostokos Bouzakis passing

springfire

Celebrity Cruises

It is with heavy hearts that we regretfully announce the passing of Captain Apostolos Bouzakis, a great man and beloved member of our Celebrity family.

Captain Bouzakis passed away this morning in his home in Greece, surrounded by his wife and two children. As a member of our Celebrity family for 27 years, he was highly admired, respected, and loved by his crew and all who knew him.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time, and to our crew members who sailed or worked closely with him on board Celebrity Reflection.

This is a devastating loss, and he will truly be missed.

He was one of the finest Captains in Celebrity's history. Captain Bouzakis was a smart, articulate man, and a true Master of his craft. I'll miss his humor, his wisdom, and the sparkle in his eyes when he talked about his work or his family. My deepest condolences go out to his wife and family. Fair winds and following seas my friend, I raise the last glass of Ouzo to you, and thank you for your friendship and kindness.

\bridge8.jpgQUngiCam.jpg

I first encountered Captain Bouzakis when he served as Inaugural Master of Equinox in 2009 and I've since had the privilege and pleasure of sailing with him four or five additional times [as recently as last December]... There was a fun anecdote relative to my first Equinox cruise... Captain Bouzakis made an uncharacteristic announcement during dinner in which he indicated that there were five ships in route to Mykanos for next morning arrival and--as it would be the ship's maiden port call there--he was speeding up the ship to secure the only dock on the island... We were in Mykonos by 11:00 PM and, within minutes, buses were dock side to take guests, crew, and officers into town to enjoy a night--and, for many, a morning--of the legendary Mykonos night life... That amazed me... But what amazed me more was that, after making that initial connection on a subsequent trip, we laughingly reminisced about that episode--usually at his initiation; he remembered me in the context of that night--every time I saw him...

I'll always remember him as a gentleman, a highly respected leader to his fellow officers/crew, and a wonderful ambassador--always full of pride--to the Celebrity brand...

My deepest condolences to his family and to his associates throughout his Celebrity family... Rest well, Captain...

One great memory I'll always hold close to me in regard to Captain Bouzakis

One voyage on the Equinox (-2010), Captain Bouzakis was kind enough to see me on board, and invited me to dine with him at the Captains table, and I received the invitation the next day from Jonette the CC hostess.

The day earlier I had met a newlywed couple onboard, and asked Jonette if it was possible to get this young couple invited instead of myself, since I had experienced the Captains Table before. She called back and said the Captain Bouzakis had said NO. He insisted all of us attend, and he would find the extra seats.

We had a glorious meal (thanks to Zafer and hist staff) and the Captain was at his best with giving hilarious commentary and advice to the newlyweds, followed by an Ouzo toast. It was the best night ever.

Over the years I would see him several times, and he always would find me in a crowd and go out of his way to say hello. Last time I saw him was October 2016, and remember stumping him on a maritime question, he placed his hand on my shoulder looked me square in the eye and said 'John, that I do not know, but before you leave the bridge, I will have your answer", and he did, always a man of his word, a sailors sailor.

Edited by johhnnyt

We met him last Dec. 2017 and my wife hit it off with him right away since they came from the same area in Greece. We were looking forward to seeing him again this Dec. on our next cruise. I want back in my video library and found the video I shot of them talking together last year. What a great man! R.I.P. to you Captain and prayers to your family !

So sad to hear of Captain Bouzakis passing.

He preformed our wedding ceremony last June and was a wonderful man.

Our thoughts are with his wife, children and family and all his colleagues at Celebrity and onboard Celebrity Reflection

RIP.

So very sad, Captain Bouzakis was one of the most congenial captains we have ever sailed with. We always looked forward to his stories and jokes. Captain Bouzakis will be missed by many. Rest In Peace Captain Bouzakis

This is very sad news; my thoughts and prayers go out to the Captain's family. And may the Captain rest in peace.

I learned the sad news in a blast email from Celebrity -- a note from Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, accompanied by her beaming, smiling stock photo. Totally jarring, given the message. I wish someone in X's communications dept had had the good sense not to use that photo for this particular "news" email. (No photo at all, or, better yet, one of Capt. Bouzakis, would have been more appropriate.)

Again, RIP Capt, Bouzakis

This is very sad news; my thoughts and prayers go out to the Captain's family. And may the Captain rest in peace.

I learned the sad news in a blast email from Celebrity -- a note from Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, accompanied by her beaming, smiling stock photo. Totally jarring, given the message. I wish someone in X's communications dept had had the good sense not to use that photo for this particular "news" email. (No photo at all, or, better yet, one of Capt. Bouzakis, would have been more appropriate.)

Again, RIP Capt, Bouzakis

Boy, did you hit the nail on the head. This was my first reaction when I read the email. How insensitive to focus attention the CEO's photo and not on the deceased. Her casual, perky close was also bad form. The PR department is tone deaf, and I can't believe a public company CEO would let this go out over their signature.