Puddlejumpers?

dnewscruiser

We are taking our first cruise with our kids, who will be 4 and 2, on Oasis of the Seas in October. Both are potty-trained (I'm aware of the pool policy), and I am wondering from you veteran family cruisers: do you take puddlejumpers for young kids? Our girls wear these in our neighborhood pool--but I am wondering how in the world you have space to pack these? Any insights would be great--I've never packed for a trip of this kind with my kids and I am already starting to be a tad concerned as to how we are going to manage it, from car seats, to a stroller, to now this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We bring ours. Our kids are 3 and 5. I assume you are going on a Caribbean cruise on The oasis? You will need them for the ocean for sure. On our last cruise We were going to leave them At home and buy them when we arrived but at the last minute didn't. Glad we didn't because I didn't see them anywhere! As far as car seats have you looked into a safe rider vest for your 4 year old? Pack less clothes and shoes and you'll be able to cram puddle jumpers into a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bring ours. Our kids are 3 and 5. I assume you are going on a Caribbean cruise on The oasis? You will need them for the ocean for sure. On our last cruise We were going to leave them At home and buy them when we arrived but at the last minute didn't. Glad we didn't because I didn't see them anywhere! As far as car seats have you looked into a safe rider vest for your 4 year old? Pack less clothes and shoes and you'll be able to cram puddle jumpers into a bag.

Thanks for the puddlejumper tip--I am leaning toward taking them if I can make it work!

My 4-year-old is on the small side and still in a 5-point harness, not booster yet. Not sure the safe rider vest would work yet for her?

We took puddle jumpers and when they outgrew those took their regular life vests (ski jacket type.) Our twins are 7, but we were in ABQ for several years so they did not learn to swim really well until last summer. They can swim a lap (probably more) in the 25m pool, but we'd still take the vests if they were going to be in the ocean or on a small boat excursion.

We would generally just stuff them into the luggage, but we've generally driven to the port or flown Southwest so did not have any issues with taking a 3rd full size suitcase. I do recall a couple of times just clipping them to my backpack. They weight nothing, so it's just a matter of the bulk. That won't work on a plane so well, unless it could be counted as a carry on item for the kids.

At 4YO you could get your older daughter a rolling carry on. They can carry their own toys and stuffed animals, device, writing materials, and maybe even a few clothes to 'help mommy/daddy'. They will make some space in the big bags and make them quite happy... though they'll need to be herded a bit, it's going to happen sometime! The hard side cases are also a great way to carry the snacks without them being crushed in a backpack or purse.

My son has always been big for his age, at 4 he weighs 55+ lbs, wears 7s and he's taller than a lot of 6 year olds. Puddle jumpers never worked well for him so we use life jackets from Costco. He's already graduated to the big kid size. We found life jackets so much easier to put on and they're a more boxy shape and I imagine a lot easier to pack. We do plan to bring it on the trip, and we'll clip it to the backpack during excursions.

My son is still harnessed and will until he maxes the weight limit (90 lbs) and we're driving to port so we can leave his seat in our car. We're debating between only taking excursions in walking distance/large buses, or posssibly getting the safe rider, bubblebum, or other slim booster options for this trip only since his seat is insanely heavy and large. We sail 2 weeks before his 5th birthday though.

We brought bubblebums on our last cruise for our kids since we were renting a car on 2 of the islands. They worked out well. I didn't bring any Life vests or puddle jumpers because the excursions had them available. My friend mentioned to me that the ships now have vests you can borrow, but not sure if that's all ships.

Thanks for the puddlejumper tip--I am leaning toward taking them if I can make it work!

My 4-year-old is on the small side and still in a 5-point harness, not booster yet. Not sure the safe rider vest would work yet for her?

I believe the age is 3 for the safe rider vest. My girls are both in five point harness car seats at home. I did a lot of reading before purchasing them and they are rated really well as far as safety.

We got the car seat bags to check the car seats and then put the cruise tags on them have them carried on the ship for us. We stick out Puddle jumpers in with the car seats (4yo and 2yo) and that worked for us.

Ultra Durable Child Car Seat Travel Bag With Shoulder Strap For Storage And Airport Gate Check. Convenient All-In-One Convertible Design With Attached Storage Pouch. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011ZGYAIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_t4QDzbW4QGN19

We brought bubblebums on our last cruise for our kids since we were renting a car on 2 of the islands. They worked out well. I didn't bring any Life vests or puddle jumpers because the excursions had them available. My friend mentioned to me that the ships now have vests you can borrow, but not sure if that's all ships.

RCI has vests for onboard use in the pool only..no taking them off the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

I used (and will be using again on our upcoming cruise) our car seat on the plane. Stashed it in the closet in our inside room. I don't advise on checking them when flying - they are always safer when in use on the plane. If you must - don't check them in as luggage, but gate check them instead. It a little safer.

Yes, we used puddle jumpers for our kid right up until he hit 50# last year. He was still able to use them on our last cruise last November - he was 5 years and 7 months at that time. He even used them in the hot tub. :)

This summer we had to buy a vest for him, because puddle jumpers only go to 50#.

I have taken the puddle jumper on cruises and so thankful I did as on HAL the pools are too deep to touch. With the puddle jumper they had so much more freedom! We actualy took them to a couple beaches with us as well. They don't weight much so in our case I found them easy to just pad around the more fragile items in my bag.

We encountered a family who did not bring them and spent what seemed like most of the cruise trying to find one at every port.

We didn't use puddle jumpers but instead had the zip on vest with the flotation devices. It might be slightly less awkward. But, if each child has a suit case (22" or smaller), their clothes are not large and the 4 year old can pull his/her own. If not of a disposition to want to help out, then the other option is to pack the kids in the small collapsible duffles. Then you can prop one on each of mom and dad's roller suit cases and its easier to transport. The other key is to not over pack. One day outfit, a change of clothes for dinner and some swimsuits is all they need. Worst case, do wash!

One thing I have always required is that they carry a back pack for whatever toys they wanted. Its been a great first step in teaching them to manage what they want to have vs what they want to carry!:D

• 4 months later...

We have used puddle jumpers many a time. I remember one time on the transatlantic we had a light weight umbrella stroller and I slipped the arm hole things over the handles of the stroller and just clipped the waist so it didn’t dangle. Was even able to fold it up and stuff in bag for gate check at the airport, all without removing the puddle jumper.

We take our Puddle Jumpers everywhere...so much so that they are almost sentimental for me! They have been to Disney more than once, the Smoky Mountains, Destin, many many hotels for work trips, and all over the Caribbean! I lay ours at the top of the suitcase with the arms on the sides or beside the body portion depending on suitcase size. I tuck underwear and socks into the arm portions, which is actually handy! We just snap them around stroller handles or backpacks and go wherever we wish! They are bulky, but I'm not risking being without them! My kids hate life vests, so Puddle Jumpers have been amazing for us!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/iJwAyLw5wT4nYXVMoStP6zQUG7ceDOTo2dtxKV4RXhK

Once, we got off the boat in Cozumel and realized we had forgot them. Thankfully, we had inflatable pool noodles which worked well as long as we stayed very close to them.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/PchhzuhfSb5NAcp91WYyGMVVIiZHALomryHDfcArPWL

Edited by lucyddr

I had to google "puddle jumper"...but it looks like they're inflatable/deflatable.....aren't they? If so, I can't imagine it would take much to blow them up once your get to the beach....

Wait .... isn't a 'puddle jumper' an airplane flight? A short airplane flight?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! We loved puddle jumpers! Car seats are checked for free. Just get one of those big bags to put the car seat in to check it, and throw the puddle jumper in there. Technically there isn't supposed to be anything else in the car seat bag with the car seat. But of the, I'd say 40 flights, we have taken with a car seat only once did they make us take out anything else that was in there with the car seat.

No, lol... it’s a safety vest that toddlers wear see the pictures posted previously!

Actually, it is both. I understand it to be a short flight, typically on a small aircraft. I've flown on many from Detroit to Chicago as a young professional. That was on a larger plane, but (IIRC) the flight was about 35 minutes and (at least in theory) passed over Lake Michigan. Can't help but call that a puddle jumper!

I had to google "puddle jumper"...but it looks like they're inflatable/deflatable.....aren't they? If so, I can't imagine it would take much to blow them up once your get to the beach....

No, I see what you mean in the photos on Amazon, but that is just a nylon cover which is stylin' and also creates the structure. There are foam blocks inside just like the fashionable orange life vests on the ship.

These are legit PFDs, but are a Type III versus the Type II on the ship. That is a big difference though since the Type 2 is designed to flip you on your back and keep your head up if unconscious.

No, I see what you mean in the photos on Amazon, but that is just a nylon cover which is stylin' and also creates the structure. There are foam blocks inside just like the fashionable orange life vests on the ship.

These are legit PFDs, but are a Type III versus the Type II on the ship. That is a big difference though since the Type 2 is designed to flip you on your back and keep your head up if unconscious.

Actually, the jackets on the ship are Type I, which are designed to turn an unconscious person face up. Type II PFDs may turn some unconscious wearers face up. It all depends on body size, build, height.

To me, use of puddlejumpers inhibits learning to swim, since like all PFD's, they are designed to keep the head out of the water.

Actually, the jackets on the ship are Type I, which are designed to turn an unconscious person face up. Type II PFDs may turn some unconscious wearers face up. It all depends on body size, build, height.

To me, use of puddlejumpers inhibits learning to swim, since like all PFD's, they are designed to keep the head out of the water.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I though Type 1 had a fuller head surround to keep the head up and forward.

I agree with you on the learning to swim point. These are great safety devices, and if a child uses them at home I would certainly bring them on the cruise. Many pools on ships are too deep for kids to stand up, and I'd never allow a weak swimmer anywhere near the ocean without a flotation device.