Hemingway house on our own or excursion?

Ohhitscarly

Hey everyone,

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in November. We will be stopping in Key West from 730-130.

We both want to go to the Hemingway House and are wondering if we should go on our own or book the excursion through the cruise line.

I would prefer to go on our own since it is much cheaper and we could go at our own pace but I'm worried we may not get in, does the cruise line excursion have reservations or something? I just want to make sure we will be able to get in.

I'm going to make an assumption. Whatever you book through the cruise line will only get you into the house and grounds, but the tour itself will be given by one of the usual tour guides. Just as if you were to walk there, pay the admission fee, and wait for the next tour to form up.

Pjk

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, do this on your own. I suggest you arrive early, as lines form in the morning w/ cruise ship passengers.

BTW, if you continue up Whitehead Street, you'll reach the Southernmost Point buoy at the end. Then, you can walk back down Duval Street just one block over. .

• 4 weeks later...

We do our own walking tour. If you leave the port to your left will be Whitehead street, you can walk down there to see mile marker 0 on highway 1. This is the beginning to the highway system on the US. Then you will walk to Hemingway House on the left. Across the street is a lighthouse. Continue to walk Whitehead to the Southern most point of the US. One block over is Duvall Street. You walk back to cruise port and browse the shops and restaurants.