Cartagena Port Questions

alwalaska

Several people have mentioned a shuttle at the port. My taxi driver sent directions from Google maps saying it is about an 11 minute walk.

Are you allowed to walk it, or do you have to take the shuttle?

I think there are two ships in port - us (Island Princess 8-5) and Mein Schiff 4 - 2500 passengers.

How long is the typical wait for the shuttles if we try to be one of the first people off of the ship. I don't have any priority anything, so we will be with the regular folk waiting to get off of the ship.

Thanks!

The shuttles run regularly and there generally is not a long wait (I was there Dec 24, 2016). We took the shuttle to the port exit, but walked back. It is a pleasant walk along the water, although the temp and humidity are generally high. If there's a wait for the shuttle, you can always walk... The walk didn't feel like 11 minutes, but then I didn't time myself and wasn't in a hurry, so I'm not really sure how long it took.

Several people have mentioned a shuttle at the port. My taxi driver sent directions from Google maps saying it is about an 11 minute walk.

Are you allowed to walk it, or do you have to take the shuttle?

I think there are two ships in port - us (Island Princess 8-5) and Mein Schiff 4 - 2500 passengers.

How long is the typical wait for the shuttles if we try to be one of the first people off of the ship. I don't have any priority anything, so we will be with the regular folk waiting to get off of the ship.

Thanks!

IT'S 11 minutes if you are 85 years old and walk very slow)

IT'S 11 minutes if you are 85 years old and walk very slow)

I am no where near 85, but I have very short legs and walk quite slowly with my knee problems these days, but I'm glad to hear that even I can walk it in a reasonable amount of time. :D

I find that the Google map estimates are frequently off, but not always in the same direction. :rolleyes:

I am no where near 85, but I have very short legs and walk quite slowly with my knee problems these days, but I'm glad to hear that even I can walk it in a reasonable amount of time. :D

I find that the Google map estimates are frequently off, but not always in the same direction. :rolleyes:

It took us max 3 min to walk from ship. Fast walk. No shuttle was there in 7 am.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Cartagena two weeks ago. Had a fine time. From where our ship docked, it was about a half-mile walk to the terminal. A free shuttle took us back and forth. From the terminal, you need a car to get into the main parts of town, and it's not a short drive. Cabs are available, but there are safety concerns in Cartagena. We had a prearranged tour guide pick us up and our experience was very positive. LittleRedJohn

The walk isn't that long, and the shuttles are very frequent. Beautiful port area with a lot of wildlife right there.

We took a cab to the old/walled city, and never felt unsafe. Easy enough port to do yourselves.

Safe sailing

7b0c59d208f0c003f54d13b3f142c90c.jpgb433941fce53c5a8af96ef21b00c5c12.jpg

Edited by spidybabe

• 1 month later...

We were just docked in Cartagena with the March 13, 2017 sailing of Celebrity Equinox. The walk from the ship to the port is very doable, however it is hot and humid so the shuttle that runs constantly can be very desirable. At the port there is a shopping store, Juan Valdez coffee shop and a small "zoo" that has tucans, parrots, monkeys, flamingos, peacocks and a few others. Take the time to enjoy the animals before moving on

We must have been there on the wrong day. There was no sign of a shuttle either when we docked or when we were returning to the ship. There were the tour buses parked by the ship, but that was all.

I would have really liked a shuttle on our way back. It was very hot and humid as many others have said.

• 2 weeks later...

We did see the shuttle, but opted to walk both ways.It took five minutes at most (and I also have a knee problem). If you do take the shuttle, be sure to visit the lovely garden/animal area mentioned above. It is a delightful place to sit, relax and cool down.